• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Has anyone ever heard of lights causing stovepipes and other failures to eject on Glocks (or other polymer guns)? Before today, I've had ~4000 rounds through my G19 with only 2 stovepipes. Both were induced my my limp wrist. Today I had at least a dozen over the course of 800 rounds. We used different mags, broke down the gun, cleaned and oiled it, but nothing seemed to work. When we were done, one of the instructors told me he heard of lights causing the frame to be too rigid and soaking up too much energy to allow the slide to fully cycle. I loosened the screw on my APL, but I didn't have a chance to shoot after I did that.
    Has anyone heard of this? I really don't want to get rid of my light, partly because all of my holsters are kydex and formed to my gun/light combo.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Glock 23 is the most common followed by the Glock 22.

As soon as I put a light on a Glock 23, every mag had failure to feed. Take the light off, and we're back to normal. I read the theory was the .40 cal Glocks when something was mounted on the front of the frame it caused it not to flex too much, increasing the slide speed and creating fail to feed issues (what I had). I put the fullsize mag springs in the compact size mags, but I never tried it with the light again. To Solve this problem:

I didn't wan to get rid of my light either, so I started buying 9mm Glocks :shrug:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Try loosening the APL but put a witness mark on the light and frame so you can see at a glance if it loosens up. Then try a new recoil spring and downloading the magazine by 1.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    On a polymer frame like a Glock, tightening down a weapon light can distort the frame area above the light, causing the slide to bind and slow down. If not that, are you holding the pistol differently because of the light?

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Never noticed any difference with my M3 and M6 from Streamlight and I have almost 4000 rounds on my Glock 19 with only a minimal cleaning every 1000 rounds.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    On a polymer frame like a Glock, tightening down a weapon light can distort the frame area above the light, causing the slide to bind and slow down. If not that, are you holding the pistol differently because of the light?

I don't think I was, but my head wasn't 100% in the game today. Guess I need to go back and try again.

Never noticed any difference with my M3 and M6 from Streamlight and I have almost 4000 rounds on my Glock 19 with only a minimal cleaning every 1000 rounds.

I cleaned it after I shot last time, including taking off the light. I guess I tightened it down too much when I put it back on. Hopefully backing it off a bit took care of it.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Never had or saw a problem on the range with my agency. But I do see streamlights.flying off frequently

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Adding additional weight and stiffening the front of the weapon with a tight locking bolt on the rail will likely result in the need for adjustment to the pistol. As others have pointed out. Consider a different recoil spring and loosen the locking bolt on the rail mount.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I've heard of this but have never seen an example in person. I've shot 10s of thousands of rounds combined through G19, 17, and 21 with no issues that weren't ammo related or fixed by replacing a worn recoil spring. Lights used were streamlight tlr1 and the Glock light.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There werer some problems with Gen 3 40 caliber Glocks. Streamlight had it in their FAQ.

Supposedly fixed by Glock with a stronger RSA.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I've heard of this but have never seen an example in person. I've shot 10s of thousands of rounds combined through G19, 17, and 21 with no issues that weren't ammo related or fixed by replacing a worn recoil spring. Lights used were streamlight tlr1 and the Glock light.

I really think it was a combination of my light being a bit too tight any my grip being a bit too loose. A couple of instructors tried to replicate the problem, but they didn't have any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom