• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    About 2 years ago I decided to get serious about shooting trap and I bought a nice Silver Pigeon, thinking that it would improve my score. I've kept track of my results over the past 2 years and I'm in the 18-21 range, which is not bad, but I want to do better. My trend line shows that I'm actually getting worse over time lol!!

Shooting IM choke top barrel.

So what tips do you guys have on how to improve my score?

TIA

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I have contacted Bart (last year) but I have not been able to successfully match up schedules.
    I did not know the importance of having a gun fitted prior to purchase, so no, not fitted. Can I still get my gun fitted and modified if needed? Not sure of the process nor who to go to for fitting.
    I have patterned the gun and I'm 55/45.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Have you gotten your shotgun ... fitted?

^^^This^^^ and Jack can either do it for you or send you to someone he recommends.

Tip: try and raise Jack now, from FL, get a known fitter referral from him if possible and get your gun fitted between now and when he returns.

NO offense but, no bs either, my wife shoots 18-21 from the 16-yard line with her AL390 and 7/8oz loads and she only shoots trap once in a blue moon now ...

(but then, Jack fitted that gun to her back in the early 2000’s)

Wes Nicholson up at Joel Etchen Guns is only doing work for JEG customers at this time (and he doesn’t necessarily advertise as doing fittings anyway); however; like Jack B., Wes - or someone at JEG 724-238-0332 Ext 4 - May be able to put you in touch with a fitter in the PA MD DE area ...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Is your gun a true trap gun or just a generic Silver Pigeon? Does it have an adjustable comb. 55/45 is a little low for a trap gun, I shoot 60/40 from the 16 and 90/10 from handicap.
    Trap is tough because unless you are shooting consistent 24's and 25's it's hard to place when competing. There are other things you could be doing that are affecting your scores that have nothing to do with the gun, stopping the gun instead of following through on the angle birds is just one, foot position, not keeping your head on the stock, dropping your arm and pulling the gun away from your eyes is common. Are you sure which is your dominant eye?
    Guns are usually the least of the problem, I've run 25's with field guns and antique guns, whatever I shoot my technique is the same and just have to change if I cover the bird or not depending on POI, most field guns shoot flat.
    If you shoot at AGC I would be happy to meet you up there and see if I notice anything, also happy to let you try my trap gun to see if it makes any difference.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    It's a Sporting Silver Pigeon, no adjustable anything.
    I am aware of my shooting position and try not to move around too much in between shots.
    The follow through is something that I don't think about and I'll try to work on that.
    I shoot BCGF, never been to AGC but I appreciate the offer!

I might try using yellow lenses....it seems that they brighten up the clay. I mostly shoot late day/night time.

Thanks for all of the tips!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For trap shooting glasses, talk to Morgan Optical. They are in Olean, NY. Old man Morgan was a BIG TIME trap shooter. And everyone there I have talked to has been a shooter.

They also do prescription shooting glasses if needed

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I need some Trap and Skeet shooting tips as well; but I am afraid my issues go way beyond the scope of this thread :)

No problem: shoot the little disc. To do so you have to lead it a bit because it is moving. Further away and/or moving faster, lead it a bit more than the others. Keep leading it before, during, and after the 'bang', even if the pellets miss and the clay lands. Obviously shooting doubles should probably wait a bit until singles get easy.

Each shot is a whole new match. It doesn't matter if you 'dropped' the 24 in a row before the round that just loaded: the only shot that counts is the one that is about to go bang.

Most of all, have fun. It is a game. Life is too damn short to sweat not hitting a bunch of things flying through the air that aren't going to hurt anybody.

P.s.: if somebody isn't knocking down a good percentage of clay birds, they don't need to be wingshooting for real. They can take a .22 and make headshots after they land. My take on it and YMMV.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I am about in the same range of shooting trap as you are. I had some good advice to switch to Full choke. I am older and slower in getting on the bird, so it is further out when I do. It means I have to shoot tighter and be on the target, but I pick up birds I was previously missing. Another piece of good advice was to shoulder the gun one hundred times a day. Put some dots on the wall and swing to them when you shoulder, concentrate on the basics of head position and the same cheek pressure every time. There is a ton of advice on gun fit, but if you are 5'10'' and normal build your gun is probably pretty close from the factory. Ask guys you shoot with and shoulder their guns to see what fits you best. Don't lock into one make of gun. Fit, balance, swing and comfort are a lot more important than the name on the gun. Almost all the moderately price trap guns can take you to 25 straight.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I am about in the same range of shooting trap as you are. I had some good advice to switch to Full choke. I am older and slower in getting on the bird, so it is further out when I do. It means I have to shoot tighter and be on the target, but I pick up birds I was previously missing. Another piece of good advice was to shoulder the gun one hundred times a day. Put some dots on the wall and swing to them when you shoulder, concentrate on the basics of head position and the same cheek pressure every time. There is a ton of advice on gun fit, but if you are 5'10'' and normal build your gun is probably pretty close from the factory. Ask guys you shoot with and shoulder their guns to see what fits you best. Don't lock into one make of gun. Fit, balance, swing and comfort are a lot more important than the name on the gun. Almost all the moderately price trap guns can take you to 25 straight.

I also shoot mainly a full choke. Bottom tube I keep a Modified choke in. I tend to score higher with the Full choke.

"Choke to Smoke" as they say.

I am a novice trap shooter. Had a super low end Charles Daly 106 O/U that I learned to shoot quite well, despite the action being absolutely awful.

Finally upgraded to a Browning Cynergy CX and what a world of difference. I'm regularly scoring 23+ and had one day where I hit 3 rounds straight.

Jiman

Dec 12, 2012
    OP: I’d recommend Bruce Ney, who has been shooting for Beretta for a long time. He’s located in Felton, Delaware. He not only instructs all levels of shooters, but can also fit you to your gun. He has the ability to steam and adjust your stock to you as well. He won’t do it if he sees that your mount/presentation is not consistent.

His background in clays is impressive and a great instructor. He’s in the shotgun hall of fame. Here’s his bio: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/about/team-beretta/ney/

PM me if you’re interested and/or want more details.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Take a clinic and practice lots. Once you get the basics down you'll know a miss before the shot leaves the barrel. Keep you head on that stock.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I am also fairly new to the game of trap, but I'll offer the few tips I have found.

I was shooting an old field shotgun and hitting maybe half the birds. I decided I liked it so I saved my pennies and bought a Browning CXT from Joel Etchen and had them install their adjustable cheek piece. It was cheaper than getting the adjustable one from Browning and I think it is better. Anyway, got it home and played with the comb for a while until I got it where my eye seems to line up every time I mount the gun. Had to raise it up a good bit and put in some offset. (cast off??) Took it to the range and first time out broke 22.

Still not hitting much more than that, and often hit less, but much better than I was doing with the previous shotgun.

I have found that my misses are often the result of one of three things:

1. No follow through. I get lazy. I notice every time this happens, which thankfully is getting less and less.
    2. Looking at the front bead. On some of my misses I'll notice that I missed the bird about the same time that I realize I'm focused on the front bead. Doesn't happen often, but I do notice it from time to time. Im working on that one.
    3. Jerking the gun. Not when I pull the trigger, but as the bird comes out of the house.Instead of a nice smooth transition from the top of the house to the bird, I yank the gun up to the bird. Again, doesn't happen often, and I notice when it happens. Working on that too.

All of my faults will keep me from attaining consistency (unless I'm consistently mediocre...) but I enjoy it and I like working on my game. Even when I miss a few I still have fun, so I'm hooked...

I never did get any initial instruction, and had I done that my skills would probably be much better than they are, so that would be my biggest recommendation.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom