• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Even with this provision, is there a strategic or other legal reason that the HPRB was named instead of the State Police LD?

The legal reason is that the administrative agency at issue (the decision maker) is the Board, which sustained the MSP. This is just a matter of MD administrative law, it is how it works.

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm surprised that everything hasn't gone to e-filing. I guess that court still has a bunch of clerks to take filings, Bates stamp etc...

A lot of the state has gone to mdec, which is the MD efiling service. But if the court below is not an efile jurisdiction (Baltimore City Circuit Court in this case), then everything has to be filed in paper at the court of special appeals.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I know I am unpopular for saying I don’t have a serious issue with there being some requirements to get a permit. But a reason other than “I’ve chosen to exercise my right to bear arms”.

So how do you document that into a regulation? Is living in Balt City enough of a reason? But if you live in Howard, you don’t deserve one? Do you have to have documented attacks or threats against you, otherwise you don’t deserve one? Or perhaps we decide based on income. You’re pretty wealthy, so more likely to be a target for an attack, so you get a permit. But I’m a pauper, so I don’t deserve one because who’d want to attack me?

Despite the arguments above to the contrary, I do believe a training and competency requirement is a good idea. Having recently done the HQL, it’s a joke. You are in no way prepared even to safely go to the range after that. So for carrying? Yes, safety instruction and proficiency. We have this for cars, for Pete’s sake. There are a lot of really stupid, really careless people in this world. And while I’m all for protecting our rights, I’m not sure I’d want every moron armed. When I went to get my motorcycle license, I took an operating class. During the class, they kicked a girl out and sent her home. She was nervous, shaky and kept going the wrong way during drills (directly into other riders). She was dangerous. She needed to go home WITHOUT her motorcycle endorsement. With firearms, we should do the same. Drop your gun during the class, you get sent home. Fire at the wrong time, or in the wrong direction, sent home. Etc. Yes, we have rights. But this is serious safety stuff. And reasonable proficiency (not expert level, just competency) isn’t an unreasonable requirement. Well, that and not being a drug user, under psych care or a criminal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So how do you document that into a regulation? Is living in Balt City enough of a reason? But if you live in Howard, you don’t deserve one? Do you have to have documented attacks or threats against you, otherwise you don’t deserve one? Or perhaps we decide based on income. You’re pretty wealthy, so more likely to be a target for an attack, so you get a permit. But I’m a pauper, so I don’t deserve one because who’d want to attack me?

Despite the arguments above to the contrary, I do believe a training and competency requirement is a good idea. Having recently done the HQL, it’s a joke. You are in no way prepared even to safely go to the range after that. So for carrying? Yes, safety instruction and proficiency. We have this for cars, for Pete’s sake. There are a lot of really stupid, really careless people in this world. And while I’m all for protecting our rights, I’m not sure I’d want every moron armed. When I went to get my motorcycle license, I took an operating class. During the class, they kicked a girl out and sent her home. She was nervous, shaky and kept going the wrong way during drills (directly into other riders). She was dangerous. She needed to go home WITHOUT her motorcycle endorsement. With firearms, we should do the same. Drop your gun during the class, you get sent home. Fire at the wrong time, or in the wrong direction, sent home. Etc. Yes, we have rights. But this is serious safety stuff. And reasonable proficiency (not expert level, just competency) isn’t an unreasonable requirement. Well, that and not being a drug user, under psych care or a criminal...

Cars and motorcycles are not a right. The simple fact is that as a society we no longer place much value in personal responsibility, even though it is one of our founding principles. The government was to essentially stay out of our way (for the most part) while we live our lives. If one is buying a firearm, it is up to them to get instruction/training on the proper use of one.
    The entire country should be shall issue with no training requirement at all.
    Just because people take drivers ed and get a license doesn’t mean they should be driving. Fact is some people are just bad at things, whether it’s driving, owning a gun, talking, or any number of things. Training doesn’t always change that.
    The problem is that asking/encouraging action by the government usually results in over the top regulation which is almost impossible to roll back or get rid of once it’s in place.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

You are right!

Everyone must be proficient in Civics, and complete a test with a passing score of 80% before they allowed a permit to vote!

Because, you wouldn't want every moron voting either! :sarcasm:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

So much wrong in this post.

With all due respect, please don't breed. Thank you.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I know I am unpopular for saying I don’t have a serious issue with there being some requirements to get a permit. But a reason other than “I’ve chosen to exercise my right to bear arms”.

The problem that I have with permits, other than it is the only constitutionally-guaranteed right that needs government approval, is that it then provides the state with a list of gun owners. Records that can be hacked, as was done in Commiefornia, published by the newspapers, as was done in New York, or used to confiscate guns. Oh, that and the fact that few criminals bother to seek permission from their government to carry a gun. If you're going to kill somebody, BFD. Life for murder or life for murder plus 10 for "gun crimes" is the same sentence.

I encourage you Lazarus to do what I did 6.5 years ago, and start reading what the Founding Fathers said about arms. You may also want to read the English Common Law of 1689 or so, to see how the king codified the use of guns, well, unless you were a minority -- kinda like a lot of gun control laws in the US. And read the Federalist Papers. And study the meaning of preferatory clauses, like "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of the free state..." And study the meaning of "infringe." Or come to the epiphany that I did when I started paying attention, that the Second Amendment does not establish a citizen's right to keep and bear arms, it merely references a pre-existing right. "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." The 2A says nothing about needing to be in a militia to have a gun. Not intending these comments as a personal affront, merely enumerating reasons why permits for rights are a bad idea.

True fact: As I heard Shannon Watts say last night, I too was moved by the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. I was a borderline gun-grabber when I started looking into gun control critically for the first time, and what I saw and learned appalled me. I was so moved that in recent years I spent 5 or more vacation days in Annapolis testifying against gun control bills, and I give up over 1/4 of my Saturday's to fight for gun rights. And I go to as many in-person events as I can, to try and have a reasoned discussion with fence-sitters about gun control.

I am reminded of a bumper sticker that I saw 40 years ago. I thought it rather simple-minded at the time. I now think that it eloquently sums up the real problem with gun control:

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Finally, let us not forget. Our very nation was founded because private individuals brought their own unregistered, unserialized, untraceable guns from home to oppose what had become a tyrannical government bent on taking their guns -- an action surely on the minds of our Founding Fathers when the wrote the documents that formed the basis of the laws of our new country -- all of which are still in effect. And I make it a point to remind all of my snowflake friends how our nation got its start every Independence Day.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    A lot of the state has gone to mdec, which is the MD efiling service. But if the court below is not an efile jurisdiction (Baltimore City Circuit Court in this case), then everything has to be filed in paper at the court of special appeals.

Hmm. Probably for the best lest that court would get jammed up with ransomeware. :)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The problem that I have with permits, other than it is the only constitutionally-guaranteed right that needs government approval, is that it then provides the state with a list of gun owners. Records that can be hacked, as was done in Commiefornia, published by the newspapers, as was done in New York, or used to confiscate guns. Oh, that and the fact that few criminals bother to seek permission from their government to carry a gun. If you're going to kill somebody, BFD. Life for murder or life for murder plus 10 for "gun crimes" is the same sentence.

I encourage you Lazarus to do what I did 6.5 years ago, and start reading what the Founding Fathers said about arms. You may also want to read the English Common Law of 1689 or so, to see how the king codified the use of guns, well, unless you were a minority -- kinda like a lot of gun control laws in the US. And read the Federalist Papers. And study the meaning of preferatory clauses, like "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of the free state..." And study the meaning of "infringe." Or come to the epiphany that I did when I started paying attention, that the Second Amendment does not establish a citizen's right to keep and bear arms, it merely references a pre-existing right. "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." The 2A says nothing about needing to be in a militia to have a gun. Not intending these comments as a personal affront, merely enumerating reasons why permits for rights are a bad idea.

True fact: As I heard Shannon Watts say last night, I too was moved by the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. I was a borderline gun-grabber when I started looking into gun control critically for the first time, and what I saw and learned appalled me. I was so moved that in recent years I spent 5 or more vacation days in Annapolis testifying against gun control bills, and I give up over 1/4 of my Saturday's to fight for gun rights. And I go to as many in-person events as I can, to try and have a reasoned discussion with fence-sitters about gun control.

I am reminded of a bumper sticker that I saw 40 years ago. I thought it rather simple-minded at the time. I now think that it eloquently sums up the real problem with gun control:

Finally, let us not forget. Our very nation was founded because private individuals brought their own unregistered, unserialized, untraceable guns from home to oppose what had become a tyrannical government bent on taking their guns -- an action surely on the minds of our Founding Fathers when the wrote the documents that formed the basis of the laws of our new country -- all of which are still in effect. And I make it a point to remind all of my snowflake friends how our nation got its start every Independence Day.

And that right there friends, is a

giphy.gif

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    You are right!

Everyone must be proficient in Civics, and complete a test with a passing score of 80% before they allowed a permit to vote!

Because, you wouldn't want every moron voting either! :sarcasm:

Well, ya know, this isn't such a bad idea IMHO - seriously, have you *seen* some of the idiots out there voting?

Pass a civics test and an IQ test, then maybe you can vote.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

A Permit is the government selling your rights to you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

You have come a very long way in a short time. I am proud to sit next to in Annapolis any time.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    All this talk about mandatory training is horseshit
    I don't need some smug, knows better than everyone politician(or anyone else) telling me I need some ******** training to buy, own, carry or shoot a gun. My Father taught me what I needed to know at a young age as I have taught my kids.
    If politicians want to do something actually productive they should require a class in middle school that includes gun safety, basic civics, how to balance a check book, how to make change and 1000 other things that everyone should know to make it through life.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...If politicians want to do something actually productive they should require a class in middle school that includes gun safety, basic civics, how to balance a check book, how to make change and 1000 other things that everyone should know to make it through life.

If they did that they and their legislative monkeyshines would be out on their collective ears. I firmly believe that we are in a "Good vs. Evil" struggle here. Our very freedom itself is at stake.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't need some smug, knows better than everyone politician(or anyone else) telling me I need some ******** training to buy, own, carry or shoot a gun. My Father taught me what I needed to know at a young age as I have taught my kids.
    If politicians want to do something actually productive they should require a class in middle school that includes gun safety, basic civics, how to balance a check book, how to make change and 1000 other things that everyone should know to make it through life. off themselves.

Fixed
    Here's hoping...

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    If politicians want to do something actually productive they should require a class in middle school that includes gun safety, basic civics, how to balance a check book, how to make change and 1000 other things that everyone should know to make it through life.

I had a gun safety and a safe hunters course in Western Maryland in 6th grade at outdoor school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom