• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ricanmd

Dec 23, 2012
    Westminster MD
    I was in my FFL filling out paperwork. She told me that she was advising her customers to call the FBI and ask for an investigation into why MD is not complying with their own law. This way she thought that the FBI and the ATF would revoke MD ability to hand out NICs number and let the FFL get it. Allowing the firearms to be transfered in 7 days regardless of whether the MSP had finished the background check or not.

A friend was talking to his FFL and was told that the ATF has already contacted the MSP and informed them that they will have to get this going or they will review their ability to hand out NICs.

I also heard the the MSP sent letters to all the MD FFLs that they are not to go around them and call for NICs on guns and release them after the legal 7 day wait.

I don't if any of this will help or if it is true. I guess it can't hurt to call.

Here is the FBI contact info:

FBI Baltimore
    2600 Lord Baltimore Dr.
    Baltimore MD 21244
    410-265-8080
    Fax: 410-277-6677

Has anyone heard of any possible law suits against the MSP for taking so long?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

Search as lawsuits have been discussed. Plus what can you sue for? There is nothing that says they MUST get your paperwork approved in X number of days. There was a proposed amendment to SB281 to put a max 30 calendar days from submission but that got shot down. In this the law is on their side as it only states you can not receive your regulated any LESS than seven days.

Interesting enough, I was reading VA CCW laws and it says if you have not received a response (approved or denied) in 45 days or less they mail you a temporary permit which is valid until they do complete your form. If you are cleared then they send you the full permit. If you are denied, then you have to turn in your copy.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Search as lawsuits have been discussed. Plus what can you sue for?

Violation of civil rights, 42 U.S.C. § 1983. The core right of the Second Amendment, as outlined in heller, is the ability to own an operable firearm within your own home. If you cannot purchase the firearm in a timely manner, the right is delayed. A right delayed is a right lost, and it puts the burden on the Government to prove it is reasonable.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Good.. let's get the feds on them. Hopefully they get the hint. They do seem to do it intonationally.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    These civil rights violations haven't been challenged since Heller/MacDonald. We have a legitimate grievance.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Violation of civil rights, 42 U.S.C. § 1983. The core right of the Second Amendment, as outlined in heller, is the ability to own an operable firearm within your own home. If you cannot purchase the firearm in a timely manner, the right is delayed. A right delayed is a right lost, and it puts the burden on the Government to prove it is reasonable.

I don't know nearly enough to debate this a devil's advocate, but technically you were able to purchase it, just not take it home the day you purchased it.

I work and IT and funneling all requests through a single point of potential failure is just bad practice all around. I would love to see BATFE come in and remove MSP as the POC for running checks, thereby leaving the load to each and every individual FFL to run the checks. Why should my capitol region handgun paperwork be stuck behind some guy from Eastern Shore and ahead of someone from Western MD?

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    We already went through Threads and Threads of this last month. :)

The verdict was that the MSP - military-like and living in their "Barracks", the AG, and Governor are white as snow; they are free of guilt. To shut up and sit back and take it.

We were also told that "Some very important, high level people, Mystery people were looking into this matter."

Hopefully the FBI and the ATF isn't SUPER partisan. If not, then there may be hope. But if Holder says No!

Then No means No.

Be patient, grasshopper.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Its def deliberate, I bought a rifle on 2-9-13, my paperwork was finally sent a few days ago to the ffl AFTER he called because others who filled apps after me had been receiving theirs bck already.. However the paperwork that he showed me said they did the check on 3-19-13. So after they ran it, they still sat n my paperwork.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    good, I hope they are looking into this! Maybe an investigation is already under way, and nobody is posting about it because you can't discuss details of an ongoing investigation? I am not a lawyer or LEO, so what do I know...just guessing :)

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Its def deliberate, I bought a rifle on 2-9-13, my paperwork was finally sent a few days ago to the ffl AFTER he called because others who filled apps after me had been receiving theirs bck already.. However the paperwork that he showed me said they did the check on 3-19-13. So after they ran it, they still sat n my paperwork.

This...

Attachments

• F-up.jpg
      F-up.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 3,914

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I don't know nearly enough to debate this a devil's advocate, but technically you were able to purchase it, just not take it home the day you purchased it.

I work and IT and funneling all requests through a single point of potential failure is just bad practice all around. I would love to see BATFE come in and remove MSP as the POC for running checks, thereby leaving the load to each and every individual FFL to run the checks. Why should my capitol region handgun paperwork be stuck behind some guy from Eastern Shore and ahead of someone from Western MD?

It that way because of State Law. The problem is right now MSP handles the full check and under pre newton time frame MSP was getting them ran un around 7 days. Sometime someone would get stuck on day 8 but most of the times it was under the 7. Then Newton happens and they 7 days grow steadly to longer then a month and the problem is the state law allows for the gun to be released after 7 days but the Feds require a Instant Check. If the Fed decide that FFL can get there NCIC check direct from them again and FFL would do this as a two step process then FFL could release legally after 7 days. Now with Obama in charge of the ATF I can't see the ATF changing there standards but if they did it would allow Gun Shops the abilty to empty there back log of inventor release fast an put the burden back on the MSP to collect if someone failed MSP check. In the end they would have to either hire more people to do the check or deal with the I am sure the small number of people who pass NCIC but fails the MSP check.

Thanks
    Robert

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    This is true but NJ law states that, MD law says 7 days not the 47 I am at and counting....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, guys if NJ takes 90 days and people either don't care or their are not enough Gun Enthusiasts to make noise ... Wow

If this happens then I hope election fraud is few and far between ...

Because if it isn't then 500 Votes to win must be a Cake walk for corrupt politicians.

Sorry, just reading between the lines.

But thanks for bring up NJ vs MD.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    I was in my FFL filling out paperwork. She told me that she was advising her customers to call the FBI and ask for an investigation into why MD is not complying with their own law. This way she thought that the FBI and the ATF would revoke MD ability to hand out NICs number and let the FFL get it. Allowing the firearms to be transfered in 7 days regardless of whether the MSP had finished the background check or not.

A friend was talking to his FFL and was told that the ATF has already contacted the MSP and informed them that they will have to get this going or they will review their ability to hand out NICs.

I also heard the the MSP sent letters to all the MD FFLs that they are not to go around them and call for NICs on guns and release them after the legal 7 day wait.

I don't if any of this will help or if it is true. I guess it can't hurt to call.

Here is the FBI contact info:

FBI Baltimore
    2600 Lord Baltimore Dr.
    Baltimore MD 21244
    410-265-8080
    Fax: 410-277-6677

Contact your County Representative and ask that they contact the AG, MSP, ATF and FBI.

I received an email from the AG about another SB281 issue, and they told me they only answer to elected officials.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There have been multiple threads on this about a month ago . The Gist is that acording to the agreement between MSP and NICS , they are required to pass along the sale to NICS the same day received , which starts the statory clock ticking at Fed level. MSP is either not doing so , or refusing to foreward the result to FFL as required. Either puts MSP in non-complience. Wether the Justice Dep IG , or the AG will do anything is different question.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Contact your County Representative and ask that they contact the AG, MSP, ATF and FBI.

I received an email from the AG about another SB281 issue, and they told me they only answer to elected officials.

Good luck to Bal, MoCo and P.G. on getting that thread started.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    We already went through Threads and Threads of this last month. :)

The verdict was that the MSP - military-like and living in their "Barracks", the AG, and Governor are white as snow; they are free of guilt. To shut up and sit back and take it.

We were also told that "Some very important, high level people, Mystery people were looking into this matter."

Hopefully the FBI and the ATF isn't SUPER partisan. If not, then there may be hope. But if Holder says No!

Then No means No.

Be patient, grasshopper.

The FBI is not partisan at all. They like to do one thing and that's nail corrupt cops and politicians. They are accountants with guns after all. If you need proof, they just took down the NY Senate majority leader the other day on bribery charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom