• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Interested in knowing if it is legal to CC or Open Carry in Maryland on your own property. If legal, can you carry on a vehicle such as a 4 wheeler.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd still recommend following law (for public) regarding loaded firearms in or ON a motor vehicle. With a handgun holstered (in my opinion) it's no an issue. A loaded long gun riding around might be a different story and can be fairly dangerous.

In Maryland, a loaded gun (sitting still) leaned up against a motor vehicle is a illegal.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    You can carry anything you want on your own property, any way you wish (with the above exception to motor vehicles). One thing to be mindful of is easements/property boundaries. Many of us have property that goes up to the end of the road and we tend to think of that as our "front yard", but many times the county may actually own the rights to the first 10-20 feet of your road-side boundary (for planned future road expansions). Walk down to the mail-box while carrying, and you could find yourself carrying on public property.

I'd still recommend following law (for public) regarding loaded firearms in or ON a motor vehicle. With a handgun holstered (in my opinion) it's no an issue. A loaded long gun riding around might be a different story and can be fairly dangerous.

In Maryland, a loaded gun (sitting still) leaned up against a motor vehicle is a illegal.

ATVs are not considered motor vehicles in Md. The law only applies to street legal vehicles. We carry loaded hunting rifles and shotguns on our ATVs regularly during hunting season on private property

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Interesting. Was present when Game Warden ticketed 2 people with loaded rifles leaning against 4 wheeler that was on private property.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Interesting. Was present when Game Warden ticketed 2 people with loaded rifles leaning against 4 wheeler that was on private property.
    Doesn't mean it was illegal, just that the a ticket was written. Same with leaning a loaded fire against a vehicle. The law says in or on, not against .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doesn't mean it was illegal, just that the a ticket was written. Same with leaning a loaded fire against a vehicle. The law says in or on, not against .

Leaning against and on is going to be splitting hairs you are likely to lose.

If I saw something leaning against something I’d say it is on it. I think most other people would also. Judge is almost certainly going to

No idea on what MD considers a motor vehicle or not.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No idea on what MD considers a motor vehicle or not.

Operate a riding lawnmower, ATV or other motorized vehicle on a roadway while under the influence and you'll find out....

I've seen/heard of SEVERAL DUIs that had nothing at all to do with a registered/road legal vehicle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Operate a riding lawnmower, ATV or other motorized vehicle on a roadway while under the influence and you'll find out....

I've seen/heard of SEVERAL DUIs that had nothing at all to do with a registered/road legal vehicle.

Of course. The statute says driving a vehicle. It doesn’t say motor vehicle, on road, etc.

So if you are drunk and operating anything with a motor that propels itself, DUI is possible. Could be drunk on your lawn mower cutting your grass.

That said, the open alcohol container law specifically says it only applies possessing an open alcohol container in a passenger area of a motor vehicle, ON A HIGHWAY. I assume that broadly means any public road.

It doesn’t apply to the occupant of a vehicle that is primarily used for transportation of a person for compensation. Also doesn’t apply to the living quarters of an RV.

So rock out with your beer while you mow your lawn or ride around in your tractor or ATV. Just stay off public roads and don’t actually get drunk (because it sure looks like you could be charged with a dui)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In the more rabidly Progressive areas of the state, I suspect being seen with a firearm on one's own property would bring an armed response and possibly a charge of disturbing the peace, or frightening a snowflake.

Such a scenario would be a preliminary setup for a Red Flag complaint.

I trust no one in this state, except those who have earned my trust.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In the more rabidly Progressive areas of the state, I suspect being seen with a firearm on one's own property would bring an armed response and possibly a charge of disturbing the peace, or frightening a snowflake.

Such a scenario would be a preliminary setup for a Red Flag complaint.

I trust no one in this state, except those who have earned my trust.

When I was a kid, my dad told us to take the guns out to the driveway with a card table and some newspaper to clean up after shooting. There we'd be, a couple of kids handling firearms in the driveway and waving at the neighbors. Can you even imagine that in MoCo now? They'd be waving that red flag like a signal at the Daytona 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom