• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Stopped up at the York location of Gander Outdoors today. Looking for some various standard capacity handgun mags, and a few Springfield M1A 20 rounders. The cupboard was nearly bare. Not that they didn’t carry what I was looking for, but they were damn near out of everything I was looking for. There was a hook and price tag there for them, but the hooks were empty. Zero Glock 17 mags(5 or 6 empty hooks), only one Sig P320 full size, only one Ruger BX25 22LR (4 empty hooks). Empty hooks o’plenty. They had a decent supply of PMags left, but even they had several empty hooks. No M1A mags either, but no hook for them either (however they do offer these online).

Even the ammo shelves were pretty sparse other than .22LR, which was lucky because that was another reason I went there in the first place. Is there currently a panic buy going on? Has anyone seen this at any other retailers? Until today I’ve been pretty much buying everything online lately and haven’t noticed, although with the recent political climate I could see this happening.

I did like the store layout, and there are plenty of firearms to handle. Most prices I could remember were slightly less than BPS/Cabelas across the board, fyi.

What’s everyone else seeing in the way of in-store availability of items? I can’t imagine a retailer like Outdoor World would have such a depleted inventory on a Saturday early afternoon, when most working folks can shop. BTW, the store was not crowded at all, barely anyone in there (maybe 12 total cars in entire parking lot including the at least 6 people I saw working there).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Crazy...……. why don't people buy consistent amounts on an ongoing basis instead of going all hyper hoarder (or worse) when political winds blow?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Crazy...……. why don't people buy consistent amounts on an ongoing basis instead of going all hyper hoarder (or worse) when political winds blow?

Don’t misunderstand my initial post - I’m asking if there might be a panic/rush on things. If so, then yes it’s unfortunate, but understandable in some ways. Wishing now that I asked a salesperson what the deal was. That’s why I’m asking our membership if they’re noticing a bigger than normal run on things in physical stores recently. I haven’t been in a brick & mortar store in a few months so I have no frame of reference. I’m not stating that there was a run on things at this store, if that were the case I’m sure there would’ve been more than 5 customers in the place at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon with pretty decent weather.

Note that none of the items I looked to buy in person showed being “out of stock” on their website, or on Cabelas, or BPS, or Midway, etc... Maybe this is just poor store management on their part?? Just curious what others are seeing out there in the stores.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was there a couple of weeks ago. And talked to one of the managers.

He stated they were waiting for a shipment. He also told me, as a smaller store, they do not get the priority for stuff that the larger stores do.

A couple of week ago, they were short on 9mm, and low on a number of mags, with some (like P365 12 rnd) out of stock.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i didn't even know they were still open after the bankruptcy, how many of there stores are still open ? most likely hard for them to get inventory ?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I stopped there after the York show on the 23rd, seemed they were well stocked at the time... they had stacks of ammo everywhere. There were extra tables of it in the wider aisles in addition to what was on shelves. A lot of it was marked with sale prices, maybe that brought in a lot of buyers?

i didn't even know they were still open after the bankruptcy, how many of there stores are still open ? most likely hard for them to get inventory ?

Camping World bought them after bankruptcy and reopened 69 stores. I don't know how many remained closed.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/camping-world-to-re-open-69-gander-outdoors-stores/514149/

I wouldn't think it would limit inventory, in fact it should make it more available, at least for outdoor stuff in general. Camping world is nationwide, lots of locations, so they should have adequate distribution to support the stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom