• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Never had a problem with any credit card until shortly after the compromise of PII at the MSP during their "all hands on deck" effort. Just because I didn't include credit card numbers on my 77R form does not mean that information gained from the forms could not be used with other information gained elsewhere does it? I'm no IT cybercrime guru so forgive me if I'm in error. Just seems odd that it takes place shortly after the MSP screw up.

If somebody has access to your name, address, SSN, DOB, etc. They aren't going to bother "stealing" your existing credit cards. They'll just try to get one of their own in your name, or one of other countless bad things they can do with that info. That being said, it would behoove yourself to look elsewhere for the credit card theft.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So we have new numbers today.

oimg

Compared with numbers from yesterday (from the AP article posted on msn)

The Maryland State Police received 106,772 gun-purchase applications so far this year as of Sept. 20, the most recent date for which data was available Friday. That compares with 70,099 applications processed last year, which had been the previous annual record.

state police said Friday that they still have 53,784 applications that had not been processed as of Sept. 20.

Analysis by blacksmith:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2744219&postcount=139

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Sooo.....last evening someone apparently using my stolen credit card information charged over $800.00 at a BJ Wholesaler store in New York State. Thanks MoM you F**kstick.

If somebody has access to your name, address, SSN, DOB, etc. They aren't going to bother "stealing" your existing credit cards. They'll just try to get one of their own in your name, or one of other countless bad things they can do with that info. That being said, it would behoove yourself to look elsewhere for the credit card theft.

Agreed with Gambler here.

Sorry to hear credit card info was stolen. FYI - advice out there is to freeze your credit directly via the big 3 credit agencies (TrandUnion, Experion, Equifax). That action will help to mitigate the risk of damage.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wrote a letter to MOM and complained about the MSP security breaches. Just received this from MSP: Of course no mention of their admission that the entire process was fraught with security holes and they admitted as much in court.
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Winokur:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your correspondence to Governor Martin O'Malley expressing your concern regarding the release of Form 77-R information to other state personnel for data entry. The Governor has received your correspondence and has forwarded it to Colonel Marcus L. Brown, Superintendent of the Maryland Department of State Police (MDSP), for his review. As Chief of the Department’s Support Services Bureau, Colonel Brown has asked that I respond on his behalf. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Our ongoing priority has been to find effective ways to address the unprecedented increase in firearms purchase applications. We began addressing this increase last fall and have worked daily since to identify new strategies to meet the continuing challenge. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In an effort to reduce the backlog of regulated firearms applications, we enlisted the assistance of civilian data entry personnel, who are all state employees, from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of Transportation, Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Department of Human Resources, and the Department of Juvenile Services. The state employees who assisted in this effort deal with sensitive and confidential information every day in the course of their regular duties. An Assistant Attorney General assigned to the MDSP reviewed this procedure and approved it as appropriate. Since that time, the Chief Counsel of the Attorney General's Office of Opinions, Advice, and Legislation has reviewed the procedure and agrees that it was lawful.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Additional assurances were in place to ensure the privacy and integrity of the information being reviewed. The employees who assisted in this data entry were not accessing confidential information related to any of the 16 inquiries conducted by MDSP during a background investigation for a firearms purchase application. Their role was to simply enter the applicant’s data electronically to expedite the MDSP investigative process. This process was actively overseen by supervisors at each agency to ensure accuracy and quality control of the information. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]None of the assisting state employees conducts any type of background check or investigation. All investigative actions will be conducted by MDSP personnel or sworn law enforcement officers under the direct supervision of MDSP Licensing Division personnel. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you again for your correspondence to Governor O’Malley.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lieutenant Colonel W. M. Pallozzi
    Chief,
    Support Services Bureau[/FONT]

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So totals turn out to be just short of the 120K I predicted:

oimg

However the backlog jumped from ~53k on 9/24 to just under 62.5k.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Application numbers as of 10/2

Application numbers

On 9/13 it was 94,127 Total Applications
    On 9/20 it was 102,001 Total Apps, increase in total of 7,874 in seven days or 1,125 apps per day
    On 9/24 it was 106,972 Total Apps, increase in total of 4,971 in 4 days or 1,243 apps per day
    On 10/02 it was 117,009 Total Apps, increase in total of 10,037 in 8 days or 1,255 apps per day

On 9/13 the total processed was 50,653
    On 9/20 the total processed was 52,256
    In seven days they processed 1,603 applications at a rate of 229 per day (got a lot faster after exposing all our private information NOT)
    On 9/24 the total processed was 53,984
    In four days they processed 1,728 applications at a rate of 432 per day (big improvement after they read this thread and someone did the math for them)
    On 10/2 the total processed was 54,573
    In eight days they processed 589 applications at a rate of 74 per day (Oops they are working 21 hours per day so the entire Licensing Division was able to process only three and one half background checks per hour)

On 9/13 the backlog was 43,474
    On 9/20 the backlog was 49,754
    In seven days the backlog grew by 6,280 applications or 897 more per day.
    On 9/24 the backlog was 52,988
    In four days the backlog grew by 3,234 applications or 809 more per day.
    On 10/2 the backlog was 62,436
    In eight days the backlog grew by 9,448 applications or 1,181 more per day.

If no more applications were received after 9/20 it would take 217 days to process the existing backlog at the rate they were working last week.
    If no more applications were received after 9/24 it would take 123 days to process the existing backlog at the rate they were working last week.
    If no more applications were received after 10/2 it would take 834 days to process the existing backlog at the rate they were working last week. (That is more than a two year backlog!)

9/13 comments
    After processing 50,000 applications thru 16 databases they found about 30 or 45 guns that had slipped through and they had to get. One wonders how many of those were caught when they were checking the NICS database?

9/20 comments
    So much for “all hands on deck”.

Interesting each day they work they get 4 days further behind. Each day they receive 5 days worth of work (1,125) and get 1 days work done (229).

10/2 comments
    Wow in a little over a week the backlog has jumped from 4 months to over 2 YEARS

Keep them busy keep buying, apply for Designated Collector, apply for HQL when available, snail mail your questions, etc.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    That's OK...

Next week they'll say app levels have returned to "normal", and it's now "under control"....

oy

No oy 's

the damage is done... but this is all to our long term benefit.

When you stare into the abyss sometimes the abyss stares back. If you can make it your friend you win. Speak to a veteran or a survivor of the great war. I will never oy vey again.

The abyss is my friend , I will win.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    All the back and forth from MSP has to do with the people when its the lack of encryption used initially. They changed how they were doing it after the initial outcry. The image below comes from the linked article from ZDNet where they looked at this closer.

http://www.zdnet.com/maryland-state-security-sloppiness-exposes-personal-data-7000020752/

That's good press apolitical but a good swipe at the BS aimed right at its veracity. I like it.
    Let the young see the press for the fools they are.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What ever became of this?

We were all fired up about this and then crickets... Why does the MD 2A community roll over and give in so fast?

Didn't the Judge deny the TRO request, and then it all became a moot point because the MSP had already wrapped up what it was doing. Only time it will become an issue is IF somebody has their identity stolen AND they can show it was because of what the MSP did.

With that said, I will say I am neither a class action lawyer nor a PII lawyer. It very well might be that there is something that can be done class action wise wherein the MSP is forced to purchase Lifelock for a year for all those that might be affected.

The powers that be at MSI and the attorneys dealing with this case have probably looked at all the angles. Sometimes, it makes no sense to put more money into something. For instance, my brother in-law's investment firm just spent $250,000 in attorneys fees for a case they lost.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What ever became of this?

We were all fired up about this and then crickets... Why does the MD 2A community roll over and give in so fast?

The State basically said it was a non issue because they had corrected all of the issues by the time it went to court. Since the state all but admitted to screwing up, the next step is for some enterprising lawyer to file a suit against the state and the associated principles with 1983 (?) fees attached.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I woud happily waive my small share of a class action judgement for the financial benefit of 2A group. Just speculating, it is probably difficult to establish harm/loss and proximate cause in this type of case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom