• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    Anyone buy a Savage Edge yet, that can review it?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I had been wanting a sporter weight bolt gun in .223 for informal plinking, varminting/predators, and a general walkabout rifle for around the farm. I didn't want to spend much and I have no intention of ever upgrading anything on it. I have purpose built precision .223 bolt guns no need to transform this one.

I bought a Savage Edge some time ago. I put it in the back of the safe and sorta forgot about it until the other day. I always carry my handgun around the property but I often want a rifle close by. I've considered toting my AR around but it's not practical for what I would use it for. Then I remembered the "EDGE" and dug it out.

The trigger sucked. It's not an accu-trigger. It was heavy, waaaaaay too gritty, with way too much creep. It made me cringe.............................so I fixed it.

I ever so gently stoned and polished with lapping compound the trigger to 3lbs with absolutely no creep and no grit (checking function very frequently). Man does that trigger break clean now........................................I'm starting to like this rifle and I haven't shot it yet.

Well yesterday I finally shot the thing. I kept the cheapie 3-9x scope on it and will until it breaks. Set some paper up at 100 yards.................................easily half an MOA gun. One ragged hole for the most part........................outta the box. It didn't like remmy fmj .55gr as much (opened up to about 1 moa. But WWB Varmint HP's were zingin' in the same hole with the occasional flyer opening it to .54-.6"

I'm not surprised, it's a savage.

My advice: If you want a cheap bolt gun and have no intention of upgrading anything (besides the trigger/if done by a competent gunsmith. I'm just a dummy with more ambition than sense and this time it worked out okay..............don't follow my lead :D )
    Go for it............it's a handy rifle capable of wonderful accuracy.

The only other gripe I have is the wrist of the stock is a bit flimsy and I will soon epoxy the trigger guard in place to firm it up. I will also likely shorten the buttstock by 1" but that's my personal preference to change the LOP.

I say it's well worth the money if it fits your particular needs :D

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I'm not sure where the Edge ranks in the Savage guns, but I got a Stevens 200 when they came out with them. In every way, it's a Savage 110 without the Accu Trigger. Maybe that's what the Edge is now?:confused:
    Anyway, my 200 has been awesome. Shoots great and accurate.

MH

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm not sure where the Edge ranks in the Savage guns, but I got a Stevens 200 when they came out with them. In every way, it's a Savage 110 without the Accu Trigger. Maybe that's what the Edge is now?:confused:
    Anyway, my 200 has been awesome. Shoots great and accurate.

MH

The Stevens 200 is the 110 minus the accu-trigger. It's a better deal to get the Stevens if you want to upgrade later. The edge is an entirely new design with a new receiver and stock. Not good for upgrading later, but just fine as an economy beater if you don't plan on upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom