Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 14th, 2018, 10:25 AM #11

The "caseless" telescoping polymer ammo concept is cool. I have no major objections to them replacing the SAW, but I think replacing the M4 with something chambered in this is a bad idea. As Clandestine pointed out, the recoil is going to be significantly greater than 5.56 (heavier projectile being pushed to as high as 3500 fps out of a 14.5"ish barrel). Assuming they get to the point of testing this in an assault rifle format, I don't think the tests will be favorable unless they cook the books.

I am glad the Army is throwing down the dev money to try something new. Relying on the free market for completely revolutionary solutions to the admittedly overblown neo-Soviet threat of new body armor is a bad idea. That said I still think the 6.8 caseless telescoping is going to be a flop to replace the M4. Maybe after they get done watching this cartridge push a bunch of 140lb privates around the range while they flinch from the recoil and miss in a comical fashion, they will start looking at smaller projectiles and solutions that don't torch barrels after 1500 rounds. I expect caseless telescoping really is part of a solution to replacing the M4 with a truly better weapon, but until we develop standard issue exoskeletons, I don't think high recoil firearms are in the cards.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 03:36 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Sadly this will cost lives. Rounds that generate the chamber pressures and velocity they are seeking will lead to extraction issues and massive throat erosion.

Then they will issue these harder recoiling and heavier systems to female combat troops.
That was my exact thought when I saw this story too. Then the guns will be called sexist because they're more difficult to handle. Just like the new iPhones
Invicta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 05:05 PM #13
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

I feel powder propelled guns are pretty much at their limit for combat. Overall innovation is flat I think once they make the next jump to man portable rail type guns or energy weapons is the next point of innovation. The current mouse trap really cannot be made significantly better.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:51 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
I feel powder propelled guns are pretty much at their limit for combat. Overall innovation is flat I think once they make the next jump to man portable rail type guns or energy weapons is the next point of innovation. The current mouse trap really cannot be made significantly better.
Oh, they can keep refining it. Things like plasma enhanced combustion are possibly on the horizon. Basically you have a tungsten wire inside the case and instead of a chemical explosive shock sensitive primer, you jolt the tungsten wire with about 100,000 volts, vaporizing it in to a plasma and igniting the properllant faster and much more evenly.

It is being experimented with more for tank guns to develop a 120mm tank gun with roughly the performance of a 140mm gun. Last I had heard they were pushing about 25% more muzzle energy without doing things like making radically bigger cases, mostly just more efficient combustion and being able to load the case to higher capacity.

Which does mean you need to handle the extra pressure...

No idea what will be fielded or when. Cased telescoping ammo doesnít play well with magazines. Yet. Which I think has been one of the biggest hold backs on just introducing it. Crew served light and medium machineguns using it have passed all tests I am aware of and appear to work AWESOME.

For the threat of improved Russian body armor, it is less anscare if Russia using it, than it is every half assed dust bin army buying or being supplied by Russia with it. Of course part of what I say it, learn to aim at the legs or arms. Canít armor all of a person and a 5.56 to the leg is going to remove you from being an effective combatant most of the time.

I also donít think we should sit on our butts waiting until it is introduced for us to react. I think a better option is look at a 5.56 case telescoped ammo for an m4/m16 replacement. Introduce a SAW and a squad level DMR using the same case telescoped 7.62 based round pushing basically the same energy levels as M80 is now.

But instead of 130gr at around 3000fps use SLAP rounds. Something like a 90gr .224 caliber projectile of copper skinned hardened steel. If you are spitting out a total of 100gr (including sabot) at 4000fps...

That should have pretty decent armor penetration at moderate ranges and track like a damn laser beam.

SLAPs are usually tungsten, but no reason they have to be. I bet you could make a tool steel cored SLAP at cents per round rather than the typical $2 or so for tungsten.

Also so what if tungsten cored would be a more effective armor penetrator. Not cheap enough to armor everyone with it. Also so what if your typical infantry guy canít penetrate fancy armor. Part so combatants are going to be unarmored (until exoskeletons) and still vulnerable. Also you then have the squad level machineguns and DMRs that ARE deadly threats to even srmrored infantry at reasonable ranges.

Iíd be shocked if a 90gr .224 tool steel projectile couldnít penetrate any infantry armor currently fielded or on the drawing board at a couple of hundred yards when you kick it out of the muzzle at 4000fps.

PS SLAP also had the advantage of low barrel wear for the velocities you are generating.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:55 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
That was my exact thought when I saw this story too. Then the guns will be called sexist because they're more difficult to handle. Just like the new iPhones
Also to take misogyny out of it for a second, unless it turns out commanders arenít following the rules, female combat troops have to hack the same requirements male ones do.

I doubt you are going to see any 5 foot 2, 95lb flyweight women hacking the requirements for a combat infantry position. Probably the ones who do make (at least the couple examples I know of) are more like 5í8Ē something and a shite load of muscled 150lbs.

Probably could break a number of the smaller male privates in half, that Iíve seen anyway.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM #16