• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Look into a Porta Bote. I have a 10 foot one and it's great. Inflatable boats are a pain to deflate and store while still wet. One shows up on Craigslist every few months.

https://www.porta-bote.com

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Just looked and there are two right now on Craigslist Baltimore. The one over on Kent Island has a lot of the pricey accessories with it. New, they are a lot more expensive. Just search on Porte Bote. Also, there's a large DIY mods community out there so look at some of those on youtube. Lots of potential ideas.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Just looked and there are two right now on Craigslist Baltimore. The one over on Kent Island has a lot of the pricey accessories with it. New, they are a lot more expensive. Just search on Porte Bote. Also, there's a large DIY mods community out there so look at some of those on youtube. Lots of potential ideas.

searched the link you have fill a form out and request saw one on cl 1200. and or partial trad for inflatable raft. Thanks for the info

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Unless you don't have a place to store it, a 10' Jon boat might be a better investment. +/- $550 on sale from time to time at BassPro, use some oars and you don't need to register or title it, and it fits into the bed of most pickup trucks. If you want to title and register, you can add a trolling motor and scoot around silently. Tracker 10' Jon Boat

Attachments

• Topper-1036_img169138_700.jpg
      Topper-1036_img169138_700.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 295

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    They're more expensive than a used jon boat and trailer, that's for sure, but then you don't have to tow it. It's an option.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Get a cheap canoe. Far less potential issues for the same money.

...or a kayak or a rigid 10ft aluminum john boat. None of these can really sink, even if they are fully swamped due to foam inserts. They also last forever.

Inexperienced boaters like the thought of "cheap and easy" inflatables for their family to go out on. But then they seem to always either have technical issues or get stranded down wind the first time out. Bad day for everyone. Inflatable is asking for trouble, never take an inflatable anywhere you and everyone with does not want to swim back from. Invest in nice life jackets. Source: I was a boat guy at a lake as a teenager.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Invest in nice life jackets. Source: I was a boat guy at a lake as a teenager.

And I am a boat guy now....

Agree with this direction. Kids MUST wear their jackets, and if you shop around you can find ones that don't "smother" them. If you want pics let me know.

Adults can wear the very comfortable manual inflatables on a lake, chances of being thrown and rendered unconscious are pretty low especially for a rowed / paddled boat. If you are worried, get the auto inflate, they aren't much more expensive.

I wear an auto inflate vest when I sail. My wife can PROBABLY figure out how to turn and come back for me, but if I am unconscious and sunk that doesn't do anyone any good.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've got a 10 or 12 ft John boat that I haven't used in more than 10 years. $100 and it's yours. Located in Middle River at one of my rentals.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    A 10' sit in side kayak is a awesome pond and backwater boat. The cockpit can rest on your right shoulder, paddle in right hand tackle box and fishing rod in left hand and pack right in there. Just get a stable one and not some of the cheap crap they sell now.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Unless you don't have a place to store it, a 10' Jon boat might be a better investment. +/- $550 on sale from time to time at BassPro, use some oars and you don't need to register or title it, and it fits into the bed of most pickup trucks. If you want to title and register, you can add a trolling motor and scoot around silently. Tracker 10' Jon Boat

I have a nice one for sale in the classifieds. includes 55lb thrust minn kota.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    ...or a kayak or a rigid 10ft aluminum john boat. None of these can really sink, even if they are fully swamped due to foam inserts. They also last forever.

Inexperienced boaters like the thought of "cheap and easy" inflatables for their family to go out on. But then they seem to always either have technical issues or get stranded down wind the first time out. Bad day for everyone. Inflatable is asking for trouble, never take an inflatable anywhere you and everyone with does not want to swim back from. Invest in nice life jackets. Source: I was a boat guy at a lake as a teenager.

you assume a lot .If i want to take the family out on a boat I'll take them out our center console . The inflatable is for me singular to putz around on a couple of small ponds at my sportsmen's club

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom