• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I went with National Barn. They did a 24'x40' with a 7' overhang for about 12k. Very pleased. They sent out two Amish kids and two Hispanic guys and they had the whole thing up in a day and a half.

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Great pics on the National pole barn. So the cement floor comes in after the building is already made? They don't come with floors I'm guessing?

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    there is a company that built my fathers called national barn co out of Pennsylvania. his is a 20x40 and they had it done in 2 days.

Great pics on the National pole barn. So the cement floor comes in after the building is already made? They don't come with floors I'm guessing?

Yes, no floor. That was another 5k. But I put radiant heat in the floor so I can hang out all year.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    $5K for 24x40 concrete? Do you have insulation? That sounds like a good deal. I figure with some garage doors, insulation, more windows, interior drywall, I will be at $30K. Sound right?

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    $5K for 24x40 concrete? Do you have insulation? That sounds like a good deal. I figure with some garage doors, insulation, more windows, interior drywall, I will be at $30K. Sound right?

I think I paid 5.2k for the interior floor and the outside skirt. The building came with a 9'w x 8' high insulated garage door, one man door and one window. I sprang for a second man door.

The inside is 2 plus inches of closed cell spray foam. I only heat it to 55 deg. Walls are dry wall on the first two feet off the floor, then 4' 3/4" plywood, then 4' drywall. The building is very tight. I'm at just under $34.00 per square foot. I did as much work my self as I could.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I paid exactly $5k for 32x50x5". I did all my own prep though, laid out moisture barrier, rebar and formed the door openings. Actually, I have a 6 foot apron, so it was more square footage than that. Took 3 guys 12 hours to finish it all.
    (This was in 08)

brickosu

Feb 12, 2018
    Friend of mine's neighbor is a porsche collector. He had a wood barn built in Anne Arundel county by Pennsylvanians. They came down everyday and brought everything down with them. Cost was 1/3 of the local contractors. Wood like in tongue and groove and wood pegs. It is beautiful

Even crazier story. Met a guy who had his 3rd home build in east BF South Carolina. He lives in Jacksonville. He paid for the guys who build his second home in Nova Scotia to come live in SC for 6 months, so he could get his house built faster. The locals were talking a year before they could get to it.

BigDaddy, So who did your friend use to build his. You mentioned a company out of Pennsylvania.
    Thanks!

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I built my own with my guys. We actually had a good time doing it, being a break from our norm which is commercial steel erection.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpg
      IMG_0747.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 340
    • IMG_0750.jpg
      IMG_0750.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 331
    • IMG_0753.jpg
      IMG_0753.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 345
    • IMG_1158.jpg
      IMG_1158.jpg
      210.8 KB · Views: 357

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That is beautiful Robar35.

I talked with several folks at the Outdoor show last week. Rausch out of Taneytown was one. I think they are owned by Lester which is a national company. I can't remember the other off hand. Spoke with Pioneer last year and they acted like they were the sh*t, didn't feel great after that conversation, but I know they know what they are doing. Rasuch said they would take care of the permitting and dealing with the county. I am thinking that I may do it in the Spring.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    That looks like the same system as a friend of used, we built his 50' X 90' in about 2 months of weekend's and evenings, just using friends to build it except for the slab.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Even crazier story. Met a guy who had his 3rd home build in east BF South Carolina. He lives in Jacksonville. He paid for the guys who build his second home in Nova Scotia to come live in SC for 6 months, so he could get his house built faster. The locals were talking a year before they could get to it.

Not so crazy once one’s been down here awhile. Like much of the Carolinas, the Western is STILL crawling out from under the 2nd Depression, heck, still gasping for air in a lot of places (I.e., where the number of massive vacant buildings and former plants are staggering).
    Anyhoo, intuition (I would intuit) would translate that into a surplus of bodies ready to “git chit dun.” Couldn’t be more the opposite. Sometimes it is mind-blowing to try and line up estimates; in fact, so much as mention you’re “looking for estimates” guarantees no call back.
    Don’t get me wrong, there are some incredible craftsman down here but, for every one of them I’d wager there are 100-150 who literally show up on the job site between 9 and 10, take a full hour for lunch (in addition to smoke breaks) and are packing their tools up before 3. And this includes some of the construction company owners and definitely majority of supervisors. Dangedest thing I’ve seen and did not expect moving down here.
    I STILL cannot wrap my mind around it but, We learned fast; hire Salvadorans and Guatemalans. Now, THEY remind me of “me” outta high school. On time and on task, til the job is DONE!
    A buddy of mine who is rehabbing a pretty massive retail space in a post-WWII building “downtown” in nearby Morganton, NC hit the nail on the head: “The majority of these guys know, to the dollar, what it’s gonna take to pay their mortgage, pay for the groceries and whatever other pretty much FIXED household expenses their family(ies) generate and they’re not the least bit interested in working an hour or board foot, past that.”
    He’s right; and, I can deal with that - I learned the identical “Cajun philosophy” when visiting the wife’s family in southern Louisiana.
    But, seeing as to how we see constructing another lake home on some additional vacant lakefront we’ve picked up, YOUR POST has jarred me and is gonna save me a LOT of headache, when the time comes! It may sound crazy but, paying for hotel/motel rooms in the long run is going to save us tremendous amounts of time, money and stress!
    OP, Best o’ Success, let us know how you do and ... :needpics: (. . . From the OP, that is!)
    :)

Last edited:

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    Has anyone on here built, thought about building or seen one built strictly as a residential building? I have been in a few with small apartments built on the ground level with most of the space being garage/shop. An uncle built a very nice apartment on the upper floor of one. I plan build a new home on a piece of property in Carolina a few years from now and have thought about a metal building. Is this a terrible idea?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Has anyone on here built, thought about building or seen one built strictly as a residential building? I have been in a few with small apartments built on the ground level with most of the space being garage/shop. An uncle built a very nice apartment on the upper floor of one. I plan build a new home on a piece of property in Carolina a few years from now and have thought about a metal building. Is this a terrible idea?

They're all over the place down here. They call them Barndominiums.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Yes, I have seen them. Mostly as guest homes. Can't say I have seen one as a primary residence though. One that I was in was a garage on the bottom floor with a living space above. Bedroom, kitchen, etc. It was in Centreville. My plans are a 3 car garage below with a lift in one bay and a play room of about 14 x 24 over the other two bays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom