• gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think this is the cable I used for an FT847 if it is wired the same:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/

I can check tonight.

EDIT:

I checked both manuals and the 450 manual says it takes a "straight" rs232 cable while the 847 manual says it takes a null modem "not straight" cable so the above won't work. At least, not as is.

Thanks K31.

I got this from DX Engineering:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/rtp-usb-63

It works perfectly, plug and play on Ubuntu using fldigi.

FT8 is the mode most everyone is hanging out on now. Check out:

https://pskreporter.info

Yesterday I had my first HF contact (except for supervised field day a few years ago on my tech) using PSK31 and confirmed with this web site. It was a monitoring station 600 miles away at about 2PM on 20M. Someone was running a PSK31 contest and I got them to read me back my callsign. I think I did the response correct.

I also chatted with my friend, and elmer, N3CHW last night along with his 2 friends on 80M. The one only lives 10 miles from me but Charlie lives 30 or so. They helped me dial in the mic audio on my new rig.

I'm struggling now to figure out logging. My PC connected to my radio is running Ubuntu. I'm trying to set up CQRLOG but it didn't do it's dependencies automatically so I'm fighting getting MySQL set up.

Is there something easier/better to use for logging? I see a lot of folks using LotW. I'd like to try to use something that most others use as well and maybe in the future do contesting with.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I just use QRZ.com which will sync up with LotW. Everything on the web.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm struggling now to figure out logging. My PC connected to my radio is running Ubuntu. I'm trying to set up CQRLOG but it didn't do it's dependencies automatically so I'm fighting getting MySQL set up.

Is there something easier/better to use for logging? I see a lot of folks using LotW. I'd like to try to use something that most others use as well and maybe in the future do contesting with.

I use the logging program in Hamradio Deluxe which does not run on Linux and I hate to recommend to someone having problems already because two people I know have have gotten it have had problems with it, one to the point of giving up.

I have had minor issues with it over the years that have been fixed through new releases.

I tried Xlog under Ubuntu and it seems to work okay although it seems kind of barebones it seems to work and is able to export a log in ADIF format for uploading although I didn't try that personally.

As far as online logs I use LoTW, eqsl.cc and QRZ. Not everyone in the world uses LoTW so I get more confirmations by using the others as well. HRD will upload logs to eqsl.cc and LoTW automatically if you set it up to do so. Otherwise it will create files to upload. I have to do that for QRZ. I'm not sure if that's my configuration or not.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    You do not need to upload/download files from/to QRZ and LotW. QRZ will communicate directly both ways with LotW. I do it all the time

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Your SWR is too high. Under 2 is a good start.

Just 20 feet is pretty low.

Ladder line needs to be up off the ground, as in not touching it. It should be at least the width of the ladder line away from metallic items like window sills.

My 600 ohm ladder line doublet works a treat around 45 feet.

QRZ.com is a great resource for amateur radio, but you have to have a thick skin. There are a lot of drama queens and curmudgeons on the Zed.

What he said. Note: If you have a newer radio with tuner built in, it will tune down anything under 3:1. Also, if you transmit with greater than 2:1, it will throttle back the lower and probably beep at you. You want to do what Traveler said to improve the SWR before relying on tuner. That said, a tuner will be needed to use all of those bands; and, it still may not be good enough for some.

20 and 40 should be your bread and butter. 6 and 10 are your cake. Everything else is ice cream. 30 is digital only. 60 is hardly used. 80 is a big maybe and 160 is out of the question.

Also, note that your General privileges are in the upper regions of the bands, for the most part. That is where the SWR counts the most for phone. If you are doing CW or digital, the bottom of the bands are important.

Basically, the advertisement for these products are generally generous in their promises. Not to slam them at all. Multi band with wide bands is a very difficult thing to achieve.

I can't add anything to what was already said. It looks like your results are pretty much equal to this persons with the analyzer:

http://www.nc4fb.org/wordpress/zs6bkw-multi-band-antenna/

I think you know you need to get the antenna higher but you may also want to consider hanging it in an inverted vee configuration (the URL you gave says it can be used in that configuration). An inverted vee should give you a more omni-directional pattern.

Finally got around to raising the antenna, more then 30 feet off the ground. This is still below the suggested height, but at my limit for the current situation . The move seems to do as much harm as good. Not sure what I can do at this point... need to ponder on it.

Attachments

• 20 and 30 ft Measurements.jpg
      20 and 30 ft Measurements.jpg
      120.9 KB · Views: 248

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Repositioned antenna, now i can hear stations in Europe. Made first psk31 qso. Psk reporter station in CA heard me too, 2300 miles away.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Started playing around with FT-8 today.

I was able to make contacts from Colombia to Canada.

Very neat. I'm using Ubuntu so the logging seems clunky for me right now. I'm having a tough time getting the native Windows logging apps to work in WINE.

I did have to fight with some of the dependencies to get the WSJT-X working on Ubuntu.

Below is a map of my contacts today, url used is:

http://www.levinecentral.com/adif2map/

Here's the video that helped me get started with FT-8:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-06-09 14-22-14.jpg
      Screenshot from 2018-06-09 14-22-14.jpg
      33 KB · Views: 231

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    People have a love / hate reaction for FT-8. I find it very useful during these times of weak propagation, and sorting out how my antenna is working. PSKreporter.com can tell you how you are getting out.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I love pskreporter!

I cranked it up to 40 watts on ft8 in the afternoon yesterday on 20M.

Pskreporter had my signal from norway, italy, south America.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    ARRL field day is next weekend. Everyone check in with a local club. There will be lots of experienced people to learn from.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    ARRL field day is next weekend. Everyone check in with a local club. There will be lots of experienced people to learn from.

Also, they will probably be happy to let you use their equipment and their privileges (as control operator) to make contacts on the air.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I plan to stop by the AARC and check out the goings on. Can you explain a bit about what Field Day(s) really is and what will be going on for us newbies?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I plan to stop by the AARC and check out the goings on. Can you explain a bit about what Field Day(s) really is and what will be going on for us newbies?

Field Day is about emergency operations in the field (although you can participate without leaving the house). For an entire day, including operations at o-dark-thirty.

It has the feel of contesting because ARRL offers points for "degree of difficulty" (my term) and numbers of contacts.

For instance you get points for operating off of independent power and from outdoors. You get 100 points for making a contact using only solar power or for a satellite contact.

What an individual or organization decides to field is pretty much up to the membership themselves. You are likely to see several HF stations using voice, CW and digital and temporary antennas. There will probably be VHF stations, solar panels and generators cranking. All of this will be inside temporary shelters (except for the generators/solar panels).

Oh, and it's also outreach. Getting people interested in the hobby and clubs get points for visitors including extra for pols. So please introduce yourself and sign in even if it's not obvious that there is a greeter because at times, like late at night, there are fewer people about.

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    The Carroll County Club will be at Bear Branch Nature Center Saturday afternoon thru Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom