Realistic drive times from the Harpers Ferry area to BWI/Fort Meade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    Looking at some nice properties near Harpers Ferry, WV and will be buying in 9-10 months. How’s the drive headed in to the BWI/Meade area? I can pick my hours and leave early before morning and evening rush hour. Thoughts? Realistic? I don’t mind a 60-75min drive if it means shooting off my back porch and not dealing with MD laws.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    He'd probably get off 70 at 32, just before 70 slows.

32 from 70 to Ft. Meade is a bumper to bumper parking lot many days.

I think you'd probably be all right at 04.00 to 05.00 though.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    That’s what I was looking at on the map. Been years since I drove 32 headed down to ocean city, but I guess I really just need to pay attention to real time traffic maps and see where and when traffic starts back in up. Appreciate the help!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I live in Eldersburg and I just avoid 32 altogether if I can. It seems every couple of years I give it a new chance, and it seems worse than before. This is in the morning southbound, maybe 06.30 - 07.30. Afternoons northbound don't seem so bad.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Even if you leave at 4 or 5, your ride home is going to suck. Traffic starts to suck around 2:30 coming home. I drive from Middletown (Frederick) to Pasadena to my marina. I try to get there early and if I don't leave by 2 or so, I wait until like 7.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    With traffic 1.5-2 hours, on a good day without an accident or bad weather. 70 around Ellicott City can be hell in the morning.

Yep. In other words, holy hell.

OP, don't overlook the I-70, I-270, Route 15 interchange. That alone could take you half an hour to get through. Taking I-70 to Route 32 or vice versa is no cakewalk either. Route 32 often slows to a crawl for miles. Route 29 isn't much better because, as 5.56blaster said, I-70 tends to come to a stop for miles near there during both rush hours.

The brutal truth: you're way behind the curve if you think you've figured out a magical way to not live in MD and have a reasonable drive from WV to the BWI corridor. Realistically, a 60-75min commuter drive is Mount Airy to the fort, sure as heck not WV to the fort.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Even if I rolled out at 0400? Hmmmm. That might nix that idea.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the day. Traffic starts crazy early. My wife sometimes leaves Mount Airy at 4:30am headed towards DC and traffic is still bad. To avoid traffic, her coworkers with long drives (PA and WV) leave home no later than 3:30am, typically 3am.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The brutal truth: you're way behind the curve if you think you've figured out a magical way to not live in MD and have a reasonable drive from WV to the BWI corridor. Realistically, a 60-75min commuter drive is Mount Airy to the fort, sure as heck not WV to the fort.

Yup. Try over the other direction... but that bridge cam be no fun, too.

83 is still a decent drive that takes you to nice areas. PA can have some heavy tax rates, though.

Looking for a free lunch and it just aint there.

Now, final years of work? Put up with it for only another year... found your dream property... you make things work...

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When I got transferred to Ft Myers in 90 figured it was my last assignment before retirement and looked in the Frederick area. Cheap land and houses back then. Put up with commute down 70-270-beltway. Put up with the headaches for close to 4 years. Worth it now but I don’t know if I’d go thru it again. Probably would have lived in Virginia. Winters were the absolute worst time. Even driving to the Shady Grove metro was a pain and didn’t save much time wise. Think if it’s worth it for the long run. Good luck.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    +1. I will never understand those types of commutes.

A lot of the folks who live in the Eastern Panhandle take the train into DC in the morning. The moment they have WiFi (at the station, or on the MARC) they log in and start counting that towards their hours on their time sheet. 2 hours in, 2 hours out. 4 hours at the office. I could live with that.

But the folks who drive those commutes? Eff that! I did the Alexandria-Leesburg commute for about 4 months. That was more than enough for me. Not worth waking up early and leaving late to avoid the cluster-eff that was the silver-line construction through Tyson's.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    In the evening Rt 340 backs up bad with people trying to get across the Potomac River bridge, the road goes from 2 lanes down to 1 and the stop light by the gas station makes it even worse.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    He'd probably get off 70 at 32, just before 70 slows.

32 from 70 to Ft. Meade is a bumper to bumper parking lot many days.

I agree with this. If you live in HF, as long as you leave around 5 you commute will be 1:15- 1:30.
    I have to go in that direction to BWI in the morning and I go to the 70 to 695/195 and this is typical.
    I commute to Silver Spring and depending on the time I can drive down 270 or take 464/28 to 270 (the scenic route). Typically 1:15 to 1:30.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    340 from Harpers Ferry to Frederick is hell. I used to go that way a lot when going hiking in VA and WV. Friday afternoons it would take an hour just to get from Frederick to where it opens up to 2 lanes at the HF battlefield. That was 4 years ago, maybe they widened the bridge over the Potomac to 2 lanes by now?

My wife's cousin lives in CHarles Town and teaches elementary school in Frederick and she always complains about the traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom