MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Saiga 12. Mine run like a Swiss watch.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I love my Vepr 12, but I like AK pattern rifles. I also am not that interested in tube fed semi autos beyond maybe an old browning auto 5. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but it sure is fun.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Mine has been flawless in it's crappy sporter form... I keep meaning to do all the fun things to it, but I keep putting git off.

Be sure to hop over to Carolina Shooters Supply. They have a host of goodies to switch the configuration, and a whole lot more.

When you get the urge, ping me, not just for some advice (some learned the hard way) but also a few accessories I purchased but switched out of. They need a new home.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If you just want a regular semi-auto shotgun, I recommend the Browning Auto-5 or the less expensive Remington Model 11 (or one of the Savage-made copies). They are mechanical works of art, made from solid billets of steel, solid walnut, and high quality spring steel. They will outlast you, your children, and your children's children. I have a 1927 Model 11 that my grandfather got used in the 1940's. He used it until he traded it to my dad sometime in the 70's, and then traded back when he didn't like the Ithaca 37 he bought. He then used it until his passing in 1980's. My dad then used it until he retired it in the 1990's. I now have it and it's fully functional after at least tens of thousands of rounds through it. Shoots a slug like a rifle with a Full choke, to boot.

I also resurrected a 1923 Remington Model 11 that was in a basement for an undetermined amount of time. I originally wanted it for parts, but I found the bore to be excellent. However, the exterior of the barrel and receiver was completely covered in pitting and it was DIRTY inside. I also found that carrier spring was broken, probably the reason is was banished to a basement for decades. I bought a replacement spring on Sarco, installed it, performed a light cleaning of the action, and shot a slug through it. First shot: fired but the action jammed open (barrel and bolt). I got it closed and lubed with military LSA oil. Second shot and each one since, it has worked flawlessly.

IMO, the Auto-5 design is probably the most reliable semi-auto shotgun ever made. I would not want one if you want something tactical, but for just a semi-auto shotgun, you can't really go wrong if you understand how they work.

Mesmerizing:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I am looking to get a new semi-auto for waterfowl hunting next year and will probably be going with a Beretta A300 Outlander in camo.

I bought one last August and, so far, have used it for trap, pheasant, ducks and geese. I really love it. It takes a little getting used to the location of the safety though.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    Another recommendation for the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Own the Ethos as well, but it is more of an upland game gun (wood stock, kinda light with a whippy barrel, i.e., wouldn't want to shoot it all day on sporting clays range). SBE on the other hand is a legendary waterfowl gun (first 3.5" as I recall) and also enough heft to be great on the sporting clays range.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    My grandfather had an original AUTO-5 and I bought one used. It is a great gun. I understand the new 'AUTO-5' is not the same action. It is more of an inertial action instead of the long recoil action. (I could be wrong). I've never handled any of the newer Beretta or Benelli guns, but I'm sure they work great. The main problem most of the earlier auto loaders had was functioning properly using different 'power' loads.
    I also have a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage which is the rifle equivalent to the Auto-5. It works great and will be working decades after I'm worm food.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    OP, did you know what your gonna use it for? Many recommendations for a broad question. Sporting and HD are two different worlds. I love my Maxus, but can only fit 3rnd max in the magazine.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I don’t hunt. Do most of my shotguns are geared towards defensive purposes .

I’m partial to semi-automatic combat shotguns.

My list:
    Benelli M4
    Benelli m2
    Beretta 1301 tactical
    Remington versamax
    FN SLp
    Vepr or Saiga 12

Attachments

• 3B3971C9-F912-43DF-8BC6-65FF9D7E888B.jpg
      3B3971C9-F912-43DF-8BC6-65FF9D7E888B.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 349

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    I don’t hunt. Do most of my shotguns are geared towards defensive purposes .

I’m partial to semi-automatic combat shotguns.

My list:
    Benelli M4
    Benelli m2
    Beretta 1301 tactical
    Remington versamax
    FN SLp
    Vepr or Saiga 12

Damn, that looks like a monster.

I've shot my brothers Benelli before but Im not sure what model he has. He lives in Alabama now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom