• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I just spent an enjoyable Friday nght and Saturday 9 - 5 in an NRA Basic Pistol course hosted by the Rockville IWLA. These guys are awesome! An all-volunteer staff headed by Tom Willats puts on this course at least four times a year along with Basic Shotgun and safety courses. They charge a low price to cover housekeeping, and put these on as a public service -- but don't think because the price is low that the quality isn't high. Quite the contrary, by team teaching and having plenty of help for the range and "hands on" parts of the course, they cover all the bases, and give personal attention to each student.

If I try to mention names, I would surely leave someone out that really deserves to be mentioned. I will note that one of the members that worked with me (and others), Jay Copsey, really helped me to get a handle on controlling my shooting and giving me pointers that immediately improved my accuracy and consistency. With some practice, I will be a better shooter, thanks to Jay.

I'm not going to give you all of my 12 pages of notes, but I really wanted to post a public "THANK YOU!" to all of the members of the Germantown IWLA, including those who work behind the scenes to support and make these courses possible.

Thank you, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Absolutely. Great folks. I let my membership lapse last year because I just never used the range much.

My class was taught by the late Joe Trippi. Great guy.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Abe Lockman, John Hollington, Jay Copsey, and Josh (didn't write fast enough to get Josh's last name, but he is an impressive competetive shooter) all taught parts of the course. They covered a lot of ground, but did a great job in giving a good grounding in the fundamentals.

If I wasn't a Frederick resident, I would seriously consider joining. They seem to be really involved with youth programs, including Scouts. I got my grounding in firearms from my Scouting years -- also my NRA involvement (I was a "Distinguished Rifleman" in the Daisy BB category and also shot .22's in pistol and rifle, so I know how good it can be to encourage young people in getting involved with organized activities like they sponsor.)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You know there is a chapter in Damascus right? Off Mullinuix Mill Rd.

Called the Wild Life Achievement Chapter.

That is closer to you.

BCC Chapter is near Poolesville.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the info -- I plan on checking into the Thurmont chapter. I don't know which is closer, but I'm more familiar with the Thurmont area, since I worked there for five years before our office was moved to Frederick. One thing that I have heard is that each chapter has its own character, and major on different things, depending on the members' interests/skills, so it's good to find out if mine coincide with theirs. For instance, if I am interested in Scouts programs, and they don't sponsor a troop, I may want to drive in a different direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom