• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wife and I are strictly here for the jobs/income, especially for my wife. Nine years until she gets full pension. If she gets offered a golden parachute before then, we're long gone immediately.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Greetings! :wave: Moved here 7 years ago from NJ and thought I was in firearms heaven! Only had to wait 7 days to be approved for a handgun and FTF purchase of rifles with no ID card. AMAZING!!!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I know that I probably find the open land where I can set targets up at 1 mile and beyond (currently i do monthly 2000+ yard shoots) but I was hoping I could find others where I can do these types of shoots with. Even if it the distances are shorter.

I'm not sure there's a 1,000 yard range anywhere other than perhaps Quantico. Unless APG itself has something you might use. I'm not sure there's anywhere offering 2k yards east of the Rockies. Certainly not east of the Mississippi.

If you decide to live in PA, you're looking at a 40 minute drive each way, according to the maps.

The good news is that MD isn't as insane as CA. Not yet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 116

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Moving from worse to bad. The weather and PCH are hard to beat but it's not too terrible here =)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, I'll say it also.

Aberdeen is close to Pa state line . 40min is shorter than average Md commute, probably short by SoCal standards also . Peoples Republic of Marylandistan will be 15% improvement over Commiefornia , Pennsylvania would be 85% improvement.

Despite 1,000yd Benchrest shooting having been invented in Pa , the opportunities for really long distance shooting are thin in the Mid Atlantic, due to terrain and population densities . You will get further info on venues with occasional matches , or training classes within a day's drive , but you won't find anywhere to do so causally on your own . On the East Coast, a Range/ Club with further than 200yd is a standout .

Oh , and Welcome ! , of course .

Feb 17, 2018
    Harford county
    Ok, I'll say it also.

Aberdeen is close to Pa state line . 40min is shorter than average Md commute, probably short by SoCal standards also . Peoples Republic of Marylandistan will be 15% improvement over Commiefornia , Pennsylvania would be 85% improvement.

Despite 1,000yd Benchrest shooting having been invented in Pa , the opportunities for really long distance shooting are thin in the Mid Atlantic, due to terrain and population densities . You will get further info on venues with occasional matches , or training classes within a day's drive , but you won't find anywhere to do so causally on your own . On the East Coast, a Range/ Club with further than 200yd is a standout .

Oh , and Welcome ! , of course .

40 mins is a short drive by LA standards. Typically i give myself about an 1:00 to 1:20 to go 20 miles. My goal now is to keep my commute to 30 mins these days. And my wife will be working as well and she has never had more than a 15 min commute. I dont think i would hear the end of it if it turned into 40+.

The one range that i found that would let me set steel up is Quantico. But that is a good 2 hour drive for only 1000 yards. And im guessing you cant drive on that range so its back to humping multiple targets there and back. But it looks like they do F-open matches which is nice.

If there are any other ranges that i should keep an eye out for, I am eager to find them. Luckily precision rimfire seems to be popular. Once i get settled in i am looking forward to doing those again.

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Welcome! I moved to Maryland from SoCal in 2000 for work. The gun laws were not as crazy in either state back then. I actually like the 4 seasons here compared to the 10 months of brown and 2 months of green in California. I also don't miss the Santa Ana winds. I do miss the good Mexican food.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    If there are any other ranges that i should keep an eye out for, I am eager to find them. Luckily precision rimfire seems to be popular.

not sure if you skipped my note earlier or it's too far, but peacemaker (above winchester and below hagerstown and west of frederick) has 1k and 1.2k ranges with lots of steel already set up. they do monthly/semi-monthly fun belly matches, precision rifle matches, precision rimfire, and also have range / sight in days at their 1.2k range.

https://practiscore.com/search/matc...tchType=all&fee=all&level=all&maxShooters=all

https://practiscore.com/search/matc...tchType=all&fee=all&level=all&maxShooters=all

http://peacemakernational.com/frontiersunday

Feb 17, 2018
    Harford county
    somehow i completely missed that post. Its a shame that the cap it to 30 cal magnums, but at the same time a 338 lapua/norma is overkill at that range. Also that $75 non member fee for their frontier sunday shoot 4 hours is rough. Those PRS matches do sound appealing though. Ill for sure do some of those.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom