• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Hi everyone,

I've had the good fortune of living in Ohio/Kentucky the last few years, both of which are states with much less restrictive gun laws compared to Maryland. However, I will be moving to Baltimore for work later this year, so I've decided to do some research and educate myself on Maryland's gun laws before the move. This site has been one of the best resources I've found and so it was a no-brainer to register. I've lived in Baltimore in the past, so I am relatively familiar with the good and bad parts of town. I am planning to live north of the city (perhaps Towson area).

I currently own a Springfield XD with 16-rd mags which I plan to bring over and register after I become a Maryland resident. From the reading I've done so far, I understand that Maryland requires the HQL to purchase any handguns, so I might actually pick up something else here in KY before the move to avoid that extra hassle. It would also save me the hassle of buying higher-capacity magazines out of state since the sale of magazines over 10 rounds is not legal in Maryland.

One quick question to start: I've read that once your handgun is registered, it is tied to your Maryland driver's license and if you ever are pulled over or are in an accident, the police are able to see which guns you own based on running your license info. Is this correct? If it is, has anyone ever been hassled by police for being a gun-owner during something like a traffic stop?

Thanks in advance, and I hope to gain some knowledge from the members on this forum!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    One quick question to start: I've read that once your handgun is registered, it is tied to your Maryland driver's license and if you ever are pulled over or are in an accident, the police are able to see which guns you own based on running your license info. Is this correct? If it is, has anyone ever been hassled by police for being a gun-owner during something like a traffic stop?

Thanks in advance, and I hope to gain some knowledge from the members on this forum!

Not true.

The State Police do keep their "database of transfers," of course, and any gun you "registered" on a Form 77r will be in that database forever, even after you sell it. The registry is not tied or linked to driver's records however.

My understanding is that a LEO can request and receive the information, but it would be a separate, extra step, and certainly not regularly done.

There was a thread posted here many years ago (I'm probably the only one who remembers it) which touched on the subject. A guy said he got pulled over on the Eastern Shore by his LEO buddy, apparently because the buddy was a bit bored. The guy was surprised when his friend asked casually, "How do you like that new SIG you got a couple weeks ago?" The LEO/buddy was messing with his friend a little, showing off his ability to get a list of his registered guns.

Years later, still a couple years ago, a LEO member of this forum explained how it works, giving the name of the type of request involved. Basically, a cop can request the information from the dispatcher, or maybe nowadays they can punch it up on their computer (I hope it's not that easy...). I got the impression it's almost never done, and perhaps many LEOs aren't even aware of the capability.

There was another thread just a few weeks ago which touched on the subject, but I don't recall much reliable information there. Something like "Don't Think Annapolis Doesn't Know What You Have." (I think it was a mix of fact and muddled paranoia.) https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=206845

Don't worry about it. The information is not linked to your driver's license and won't come up without a special request.

(This is my understanding of the facts. I'm open to being corrected by competent people with reliable sources.)

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    stay out of MD at all costs. firearm laws not even being a consideration. you'll thank me later.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    stay out of MD at all costs. firearm laws not even being a consideration. you'll thank me later.

Unfortunately it's a move I have to make, at least temporarily. I do hope to return to the midwest in 4-5 years, however.

And as far away as you can from Baltimore, that's two strikes on you just for moving in. good luck!

I've lived in Baltimore for 6 years in the past, so I have a good idea about what I'm getting into. I'm looking north of the city for a place to live. There are some decent neighborhoods within commuting distance of the city, although more expensive (Timonium, Towson, Mt. Washington and the like).

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Not true.

The State Police do keep their "database of transfers," of course, and any gun you "registered" on a Form 77r will be in that database forever, even after you sell it. The registry is not tied or linked to driver's records however.

My understanding is that a LEO can request and receive the information, but it would be a separate, extra step, and certainly not regularly done.

There was a thread posted here many years ago (I'm probably the only one who remembers it) which touched on the subject. A guy said he got pulled over on the Eastern Shore by his LEO buddy, apparently because the buddy was a bit bored. The guy was surprised when his friend asked casually, "How do you like that new SIG you got a couple weeks ago?" The LEO/buddy was messing with his friend a little, showing off his ability to get a list of his registered guns.

Years later, still a couple years ago, a LEO member of this forum explained how it works, giving the name of the type of request involved. Basically, a cop can request the information from the dispatcher, or maybe nowadays they can punch it up on their computer (I hope it's not that easy...). I got the impression it's almost never done, and perhaps many LEOs aren't even aware of the capability.

There was another thread just a few weeks ago which touched on the subject, but I don't recall much reliable information there. Something like "Don't Think Annapolis Doesn't Know What You Have." (I think it was a mix of fact and muddled paranoia.) https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=206845

Don't worry about it. The information is not linked to your driver's license and won't come up without a special request.

(This is my understanding of the facts. I'm open to being corrected by competent people with reliable sources.)

That's good to know! Hopefully you are correct and it is not something the LEO use often during routine traffic stops.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Welcome from Hazzard County.

As far as what the police know, that's the $100,000 question. It would appear that they know of almost everything you own. There is a thread that talks about this.
    Good Luck!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

attachment.php

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's good to know! Hopefully you are correct and it is not something the LEO use often during routine traffic stops.

I think it's something they virtually never do during a traffic stop. The one example I gave was of a guy messing with his buddy. If they made an inquiry like that, I think it would be an extraordinary traffic stop, not a routine one.
    I really think they have better things to do.

In any case, their registry would only list guns which were transferred on a Form 77r, which means handguns and pre-2013 "assault boomsticks."

I suppose if you have a Maryland-registered machine gun, that would probably show up too.

They don't have access to Federal Form 4473 information, that is, non-"regulated" long guns.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Jumping in a day late, but I remember reading an article that stated that there was some state that would flag your license plate if you had a CC license. The story was about a guy who got stopped in MD and was promptly asked by the officer about where his gun was. I am sure that the case, being local, was talked about on here when it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom