Best chance at successfully defeating SB281? Donation to MSI, NRA, SAF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SB281 Killer?

• MSI

Votes: 16 39.0%
    • NRA

Votes: 16 39.0%
    • SAF

Votes: 11 26.8%
    • SCOTUS (via other pending cases)

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I want to get the biggest bang for my donation buck, so I'd like to know which Pro2A organization stands the best chance at successfully defeating, or at least postponing SB281 leading up to it's October 1st effective date? I have heard that the NRA is planning on suing the state, and MSI is going to try to set up the required handgun qual. licensing training at reasonable costs, but haven't heard the latest from the SAF or any potential SCOTUS cases that would negate SB281.

What are your thoughts?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Bets chance is to convince O'Malley NOT to sign SB281. He's not in step with the voting on the National level.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    My money (what little the PRM leaves me after taxes) will be going in several directions. I will be donating to NRA, MSI, MdfaSS, and directly to the political campaigns of pro2A candidates.

There are donations of another sort which are equally, if not more so, valuable than your dollars. Time and energy spent in voter education and other projects will be especially important. If you haven't done so, please join the groups fighting for our rights. If you are already a member, step up and offer your services.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    My vote goes to SAF, my donation money has gone to MSI, SAF and NRA (also lifetime member in all). I will further support monetarily any local organisation willing to fight the good fight in any way shape of form.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Ill-formed question, I'd suggest. O'Malley is going to sign SB 281. It will become law on October 1st. MOM not only drank the Kool-Aid - he's dishing it out.

The NRA will bring a legal case against SB 281 in the courts once it is signed. But that alone won't be enough. We need to change the make-up of the General Assembly to prevent future SB 281s, or replacement 281s if the NRA suit is successful. A few key districts is all that we need. And MSI is the right place to watch for that action.

Bottom line is that neither MSI nor the NRA alone are sufficient. Both are necessary, as they have complementary roles.

And of course we have the SAF out there as well, working on the Woollard case (and others) that might help our CCW profile at the SCOTUS level.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Each of those organizations has a different role.

MSI will be leading the educational campaign against certain Senators/Delegates

NRA is funding the lawsuit against SB281

SAF is sueing Frederick

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I might add that MDS is perhaps the best resource we have for collating information...

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Bets chance is to convince O'Malley NOT to sign SB281. He's not in step with the voting on the National level.

He doesn't have to sign. He can just let it become law automatically. The only way he stops it is to veto it. I think I will see unicorns first.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Why don't you put an option for "The bill has no chance of being defeated". I think all of the options have the same chance of failing, 100%.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Bets chance is to convince O'Malley TO VETO SB281. He's not in step with the voting on the National level.

Fixed. If not signed within 20 days from formal presentation, it automatically becomes law.

Great call, in any case... though I doubt his idealogical-ego-ambition-power pills will allow him to see the reality, that he's bucking the tide.

He thinks he IS the tide.

That said, where the OP is concerned, it seems to me that a split of donations between MSI and NRA will have the greatest benefit (at least at this point).

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    NRA, they're already talking lawsuit. Trying to change the make up of the GA in this state is a lost cause and I state that as almost a fact

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    CORRECTION!

Please note that when referencing legislative fights, the organization is

NRA-ILA

The NRA and NRA-ILA have separate websites and money given to the NRA general fund (for matches, training, education, etc) might not find its way at all into any legal battles. Donations to NRA-ILA are specific to legislative actions and the NRA-ILA is the proper organization to compare with SAF and MSI.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Please note that when referencing legislative fights, the organization is

NRA-ILA

The NRA and NRA-ILA have separate websites and money given to the NRA general fund (for matches, training, education, etc) might not find its way at all into any legal battles. Donations to NRA-ILA are specific to legislative actions and the NRA-ILA is the proper organization to compare with SAF and MSI.

Remember this !!!!!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I want to get the biggest bang for my donation buck, so I'd like to know which Pro2A organization stands the best chance at successfully defeating, or at least postponing SB281 leading up to it's October 1st effective date? I have heard that the NRA is planning on suing the state, and MSI is going to try to set up the required handgun qual. licensing training at reasonable costs, but haven't heard the latest from the SAF or any potential SCOTUS cases that would negate SB281.

What are your thoughts?

IMHO we do not have the luxury to donate to just one. To much is on the line here. If we are 1/2 as concerned about loosing our 2A right as all the post imply in the MANY threads everywhere on this web site, we need to give to all three and that may still not be enough. It doesn't matter which org does a little more then the other. If it were not for all of these kind of org's all of the guns would be gone everywhere.

What you do not want to be doing is sitting around if it all goes south saying to yourself, "I should have donated something."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom