Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 12th, 2018, 08:42 PM #1

Glock 17 80% reliability/function question

Okay, so my first go around I had the slide stop/take down reveresed and every round that gun loaded itself was a light primer strike. I figured it out and outright replaced it with a wolf extended take down.

Now hereís the thing about it, he other one when facing properly would allow you to just put the slide straight back on, you didnít need to hold the take down to get the slide and barrel back on. This one you have to hold it down slightly. Not sure if that is a fitment issue or not.

So back to the range and 180 rounds later and I had about 12 light primer strikes. Mostly early. Mostly UMC 115gr or federal aluminum 115gr. I had zero with federal 115gr brass cased, but one stove pipe. With PPU M882 124gr I had 1 light strike, 1 stove pipe and 2 rounds that didnít quite chamber stuck about 1/4Ē open and I had to smack the slide (but it fired fine each time).

Operating the slide by hand it seems really smooth, though I donít have another Glock to compare it to.

My best guess is it needs more wear, better lubrication (I had hit all of the points, but when I got it home it seemed kind of dry) and/or possibly taking a stone to some of the barrel/slide surfaces.

The barrel on the rear has a rough edge, I think from where I had the thing jammed when I assembled it without the recoil spring and it jammed up hard (I had to hit the slide HARD on the edge of a shelf to get it loose). It isnít really badly messed up, but very slightly rough now.

There is some wear on the finish in the inside, underside of the slide. Ramp appears fine.

Iíll post pictures of these wear points.

Thoughts? Smooth the rough surfaces on the barrel/rail/licking block interfaces then lube ajd must run a few hundred more rounds through it? Something else going on?

If it matters it tends to eject close to straight up and slightly right. I got about 8 casing to the forehead, but 80% of them are landing about 2-8 feet to my 3 oíclock with a few landing such that they bounce to my left and a few back behind me (or obviously to the forehead).
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 08:45 PM #2
Thread killer

Thread killer

Check to make sure the takedown spring is fully seated. It took me three times to get it right. But, I never fired mine before I fixed it.
Also, UMC is crap. I had issues too. I'd run NATO spec or hotter loadings.
More..check the weight on the recoil spring.
Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:08 PM #3

Everything seems to function just dandy by hand. Ejects fine, cycles fine. I looked again and that rear edge on the barrel isnít all that jagged. A few quick passes with a stone and it is nice and clean now. Ramp looks fine, but I donít know enough with glocks
Attached Images

Old April 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Doug14 View Post
Check to make sure the takedown spring is fully seated. It took me three times to get it right. But, I never fired mine before I fixed it.
Also, UMC is crap. I had issues too. I'd run NATO spec or hotter loadings.
More..check the weight on the recoil spring.
Hmm, I’ll double check. I suppose the takedown spring might not be in there properly now. The recoil spring should be good. It is a Glock part and the baggie part number matched what it should be.
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:12 PM #5

Also not sure if normal, but the take down lever takes a LOT of force to pull down. I mean, completely doable, but it does seem high (again, nothing to compare it directly against).

Maybe I need to take it by my buddy who has a G17 and compare it directly
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:17 PM #6
Thread killer

Thread killer

I had issues that I think were the recoil spring. Had a 18lb one on a compact. Got a 15lb. Have not fired it yet with it yet. It locks into battery fine.
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:51 PM #7

Lighter ammo at least seems to be a contributor. Maybe? I mean, yes the take down was reversed, but when I was using Winchester 147gr HP (960 some FPS) I could usually get it to fire 2 or 3 shots in a row before a light primer strike.

I guess a lighter recoil spring is cheap enough it is also be something I could try.

Also as my neighbor said, years ago it used to be manufacturers said to run 500 rounds through the gun before calling to complain about an issue (IE needing to break in). I guess the plus being 9mm is that a few hundred rounds isn’t all that expensive and still fun (at least now that it isn’t single shot and I seem to get most or sometimes all of a magazine through it before it light strikes).

Also yeah, the striker appears to be free in the channel. I feel no binding or issues with it and it comes out full depth. 99.99% the issue is not with the striker.
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:14 PM #8

Oh. Apparently non-standard weights are a little more pricey than I thought. Wolff is $30. ISIM (I think that was who), though with SS guide rod, is $25.

What is the standard weight? You mentioned 18lbs. I’ve seen 17lbs and I’ve seen a lot of places mention early non-captive ones were 10lbs (seems super light) and the later captive ones are 16lbs for the g17.

Makes me think a 14# might be the way to go. Or no clue. Maybe just leave it locked back for the next month and put another couple of hundred rounds through it as well as again try some of the hotter ammo I have for some of it.
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:24 PM #9
Thread killer

Thread killer

A new spring is cheaper than all that ammo, IMO. I got a ISMI spring for $9. I got a SS rod with spring for $19. Glock factory rate is 17 for a g17. So a 1-2lb lighter one might be ok.
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:28 PM #10
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

A couple things to check:
1. The firing pin safety and spring. (https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action).
2. The striker spring assembly.

It would also be helpful to know whether you're using stock springs or not.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns