Camo is a waste of money (For whitetail at least imo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    As far as I'm concerned, the only camo that breaks up the silhouette is some kind of leafy wear, otherwise, don't move when deer are looking. It won't matter what brand of camo you have on, they will pick you off. Learn to draw your bow, raise your gun, stand up, sit down, when the deer's head is behind a tree.

They see movement very well. Animals especially prey animals are much more aware of their environment than humans but it is a combination of all their senses put together and any single thing movement, sound, scent, or their sixth sense can put them on full alert and at that second thing they are gone.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Either that or your farts smell that bad. :shrug:
    It is proven deer can see blue. So it is something if you leave something blue out there they get used to it, but if they walk in and something new that they can see is blue will alert them.

My dad would go in the woods wearing his work pants and boots... his old 12 double over his shoulder... smoking his L&M cigarettes'... drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon... 9 times out of 10 within 15 mins you'd hear "BAMM... BAMM" and he would have two on the ground. He was 10 times the hunter I am. I don't think he ever owned a piece of cammo, and sent control surely wasn't high on his list. Some folks got it... some don't.

I'm sure he knew what direction the deer would likely come from and he used the smoke on that cigarette as a wind detector. If you are down wind you can be wearing cologne. It is amazing to me how many hunters today don;t even bother to hunt the wind or pay attention to it. They think Scent-Lok fixes everything. Many of today's hunters don't know half what the old school hunter did.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I'm sure he knew what direction the deer would likely come from and he used the smoke on that cigarette as a wind detector. If you are down wind you can be wearing cologne. It is amazing to me how many hunters today don;t even bother to hunt the wind or pay attention to it. They think Scent-Lok fixes everything. Many of today's hunters don't know half what the old school hunter did.

I agree. Many modern hunters, myself included, don't have the skill set that our dads and grandfathers had. Its sad really. Thats why I like talking to as many "old timers" as I can. Get the knowledge before we loose it for ever. I remember talking to one older gentleman when I was a teenager. He scoffed at the idea of all the new ridiculously price camo hunting clothes out there. He said the animals dont see like we do so why use camo that looks good to us? His belief was use proper hunting techniques such as sound and motion discipline. Use bushes and trees to your advantage. He also believed it doesnt matter what you wear out in the woods as long as your pants, jacket, and hat are different shades. He said that is enough to break up our outline if you a bad enough hunter to be spotted in open terrain. lol Its getting harder to find these old school hunters and I greatly miss talking to them. Their knowledge and life experiences are unmatched.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree. Many modern hunters, myself included, don't have the skill set that our dads and grandfathers had. Its sad really. Thats why I like talking to as many "old timers" as I can. Get the knowledge before we loose it for ever. I remember talking to one older gentleman when I was a teenager. He scoffed at the idea of all the new ridiculously price camo hunting clothes out there. He said the animals dont see like we do so why use camo that looks good to us? His belief was use proper hunting techniques such as sound and motion discipline. Use bushes and trees to your advantage. He also believed it doesnt matter what you wear out in the woods as long as your pants, jacket, and hat are different shades. He said that is enough to break up our outline if you a bad enough hunter to be spotted in open terrain. lol Its getting harder to find these old school hunters and I greatly miss talking to them. Their knowledge and life experiences are unmatched.
    Meh. Speak for yourself. With all the books that have been written, biology learned, I'll even throw in some of the useful gadgetry, the avid deer hunter of today is far and away a better deer hunter than our forefathers. Just my opinion. The problem comes when people fail to apply correctly, the knowledge at hand. This thread topic is a prime example. Granted, too many modern deer hunters get all hung up on equipment instead of technique. They buy all the expensive(best?) gear and walk into the woods and put their stand in the wrong place.

One thing has never and will never change. The #1 piece of deer hunting equipment we have is our brain. Too often, these days, the beginner deer hunter invests large amounts of money into the sport, but fails to do their homework. Putting your time in the woods is huge.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yup, my daughter would watch all those instagram influencers and buy all the crap they said too. She would use the spray and shampoo and get winded if the deer went around her. She used that spray and I smelled it and thought it doesn't smell like the woods to me. Then I told her, you know every woods patch could smell different, right? What makes this bottle smell like exactly where we are going. Plus deer smell better than dogs and you can't "cover" your scent to them.

She one time bought this atomizer that sprays doe pee in the air. Spent like $40 on it and it was $10 a cartridge to refill. I told her you know that is blowing doe pee smell the same direction your scent is traveling, correct? Then I said "Lets have a contest. You use your $10 doe pee and I'll burn a $10 bill and we will see who gets the most bang for their money" She didn't think it was very funny but learned a lesson.

She didn't like to listen to Dad and his friend Kevin. Us old guys didn't know what these influencers did. :rolleyes:

She learned quick and started using the Ozone closet with me and looking at the weather app to figure which stand had the best wind profile to hunt. With enough pressure they do learn. :D I am all for new stuff, but think most of it is designed to catch the hunter and not catch any game.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup, my daughter would watch all those instagram influencers and buy all the crap they said too. She would use the spray and shampoo and get winded if the deer went around her. She used that spray and I smelled it and thought it doesn't smell like the woods to me. Then I told her, you know every woods patch could smell different, right? What makes this bottle smell like exactly where we are going. Plus deer smell better than dogs and you can't "cover" your scent to them.

She one time bought this atomizer that sprays doe pee in the air. Spent like $40 on it and it was $10 a cartridge to refill. I told her you know that is blowing doe pee smell the same direction your scent is traveling, correct? Then I said "Lets have a contest. You use your $10 doe pee and I'll burn a $10 bill and we will see who gets the most bang for their money" She didn't think it was very funny but learned a lesson.

She didn't like to listen to Dad and his friend Kevin. Us old guys didn't know what these influencers did. :rolleyes:

She learned quick and started using the Ozone closet with me and looking at the weather app to figure which stand had the best wind profile to hunt. With enough pressure they do learn. :D I am all for new stuff, but think most of it is designed to catch the hunter and not catch any game.
    :thumbsup:

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Meh. Speak for yourself. With all the books that have been written, biology learned, I'll even throw in some of the useful gadgetry, the avid deer hunter of today is far and away a better deer hunter than our forefathers. Just my opinion. The problem comes when people fail to apply correctly, the knowledge at hand. This thread topic is a prime example. Granted, too many modern deer hunters get all hung up on equipment instead of technique. They buy all the expensive(best?) gear and walk into the woods and put their stand in the wrong place.

One thing has never and will never change. The #1 piece of deer hunting equipment we have is our brain. Too often, these days, the beginner deer hunter invests large amounts of money into the sport, but fails to do their homework. Putting your time in the woods is huge.

I was speaking for myself and merely sharing that old hunters story. Sure technology helps. Never said it didnt. I think we are looking at this from different view points, but I dont agree that hunters today are better than out forefathers. Better off yes, not better. I mean alot of these pro white tail hunters that used to be on tv have fields and fields of engineered food plots to bring in the deer and grow them bigger. Even normal corn fields are engineered to grow bigger. Scent and bait technology has advanced too. That doesnt mean the hunter is better, just the technology. Trail cams let you know what time you need to be in the stand to meet up with that buck who visits on a regular basis. Thats not a better hunter, thats better technology. If hunters of yesteryear had the same tech as we do today I have no doubt they would be just as or more effective. If you choose to use technology because it makes your hunt more successful, go for it. Its your choice.

But going back to the OP, I choose to not wear all the pricey camo because I have seen enough to convince me that camo patterns aren't that important..... and Im cheap:)

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    My brother goes into the woods with whatever work pants and jacket he has. Heavy smoker smokes in woods and coughs and hacks and always harvests deer. A 7 point walked up on him and he shot him from the hip it was so close.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I remember when I had (still do probably somewhere) a wore out pair of canvas Dickies coveralls that were home dyed with RIT from the drug store because I didn't have any camo.

I'm probably in the camp now of older guys who still think buck deer hang on the side of the road just to lick salt and they begin to sharpen their horns on trees in the fall.

I'm being facetious of course....I like to hunt deer, but this may be my last year going.

The best places to hunt deer, have more than one way to access the woods depending on what the winds doing.... no matter how big or how small they are.

Get them going sideways and not straight at you. What color or pattern you wear is not the most important thing to consider.

Deer are not on the same biological clock we are. Killing good deer is like cutting down a tree. Everyone has a brother, cousin or uncle who knows everything about it and done it once or twice.

Good hunters and the ones to learn from, have done it year in and out consistently.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    No need for camo but, some companies have made a LOT of money selling it. I wasn't wearing camo the day that buck walked by me close enough that I could have literally reached over and grabbed him by the rack. My grandfather once told me that the deer on his farm would act perfectly normal until he changed something, then they would immediately take notice and all he would see is white tail!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No need for camo but, some companies have made a LOT of money selling it. I wasn't wearing camo the day that buck walked by me close enough that I could have literally reached over and grabbed him by the rack. My grandfather once told me that the deer on his farm would act perfectly normal until he changed something, then they would immediately take notice and all he would see is white tail!

Pretty true. One perk of suburban deer is acculturation to people. Deer around me let me get WAY closer to them than deer over in the state park do for instance. On occasion I’ll walk within 15yds of a WT going and getting the mail and they’ll act annoyed and then go about their business once I’ve walked 30yds away. Same deer though if I walk within 30yds of them in the woods and boom, off they go. They are used to seeing me/humans in the clearings and around the house. The woods though, not so used to it. And in some cases it’s the same deer I saw a day earlier bolts as I am walking down the path in the woods but mostly just ignores me when I am walking through the yard to get the mail.

To me the value of camo isn’t so much that a deer can or can’t see you holding still. It’s that it breaks up your pattern some when you ARE moving. Especially if you are moving an arm across your body or whatever. I doubt it’s generally make or break, but the little I’ve tested it, deer seem to notice minor movements at much longer ranges if I am wearing just whatever versus if I have camo on. I mean, if I am strolling along, of course they notice me. I mean things like sitting there and slowly reaching in to my lap.

So I’d say maybe there can be a small benefit if a deer is catching you unprepared. Or still hunting moving real slow. But IMHO it’s a real small gain (but hell, I own enough of it and most of my more seasonally appropriate stuff is camo, so I might as well wear it when hunting. I’ve shot them dead wearing shorts and a white undershirt before though.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Friend sent this one to me. A little old. Can't agree more. With these stupid setups made in China feeding Xi's army costing into the thousands now if you are into sitka I'm aiming for minimalism this season. Going out in shorts and a tshirt opening day. Last opening day I had a nice 8pt down 45 minutes in walking out around noon doing the same thing.

https://byland.co/blog/2017/12/11/3-reasons-you-should-consider-quitting-camouflage

To each their own what ever blows up their skirts. I have never used Camo, warm jacket flannel shirt, blue jeans and orange cap. When I was in Alaska many wore Camo I got laughed at. However, I got mine while other were still looking. One advantage when I was in the USCG is most states allowed you to purchase resident hunting licensed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To each their own what ever blows up their skirts. I have never used Camo, warm jacket flannel shirt, blue jeans and orange cap. When I was in Alaska many wore Camo I got laughed at. However, I got mine while other were still looking. One advantage when I was in the USCG is most states allowed you to purchase resident hunting licensed.
    Disclaimer: I wear camo when I hunt.
    Ever notice, a lot of guides don't wear camo, as they lead the client(camo-clad) through a hunt? Funny stuff.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have highly noticed my wife doesn't mind the blood stains on my camo clothes and is highly pissed when I bring home jeans with blood on the legs. Even though I don't need it, I need separate hunting clothes!!!

Disclaimer: I wear camo when I hunt.
    Ever notice, a lot of guides don't wear camo, as they lead the client(camo-clad) through a hunt? Funny stuff.
    I assume you are talking out west hunting and it is the same thing there. Hide behind the hill and if they spot movement even in camo they are gone. They see camo clothes move just a swell as a carhartt jacket.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    If your serious about T shirt and shorts for opening day, I think the ticks and mosquitoes are going to have more fun than you. ;)

Bug spray and im g2g. I usually forget the thermacell. Mosquitos will bite right through my scentlok savana early season fabric so makes no diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom