• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    So I have a couple nice size deer/ bucks coming around and there is no real water source anywhere near me. So I'm thinking about taking an IBC tote and cutting it down a bit, digging it in the ground and filling it up with water. The only thing I'm worried about is sludge build up on the inside of the plastic and random unknowns. Has anyone ever tried to do this before or can think of some long term drawbacks before I go through all this work?

Attachments

• tote.jpg
      tote.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 341
    Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Depending where your at just scratch a relatively shallow hole with a machine if you can. Itll fill up with water if your in the right spot. If you can do it where there is a known crossing like on a logging road, push the dirt into a pile to make a small land bridge. Maybe someone nearby could help you.
    Put a stand down wind and wait for a nice one.
    Anyhow, outside of all of that. Deer take a lot of water( majority) just through browsing.
    Another point to consider on the shore, is the insects that thrive in stagnant water that kill a lot of deer off every one or two+ three or more years.
    If you have some nice deer around you now, without a known water source, they're getting it from somewhere so I would conserve the effort and remain more elusive to interrupting an area where they frequent.
    Soon in a lot of places the woods will be filled up with water near fall.
    Besides, with a scratched out mud hole you may get some ducks in there.:innocent0

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Depending where your at just scratch a relatively shallow hole with a machine if you can. Itll fill up with water if your in the right spot. If you can do it where there is a known crossing like on a logging road, push the dirt into a pile to make a small land bridge. Maybe someone nearby could help you.
    Put a stand down wind and wait for a nice one.
    Anyhow, outside of all of that. Deer take a lot of water( majority) just through browsing.
    Another point to consider on the shore, is the insects that thrive in stagnant water that kill a lot of deer off every one or two+ three or more years.
    If you have some nice deer around you now, without a known water source, they're getting it from somewhere so I would conserve the effort and remain more elusive to interrupting an area where they frequent.
    Soon in a lot of places the woods will be filled up with water near fall.
    Besides, with a scratched out mud hole you may get some ducks in there.:innocent0

It's at a spot where I can't get a machine in there and it's thick enough where rain wouldn't fill it up. There's already a stand that I've had there for years and was just trying to help the spot out. Its lacked the last few years and the deer seem to vanish. I was trying to get them to stay a bit and gamble at the high roller tables. I think I hunted ducks more than deer last year so I would be ok with the feathered theory.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Bag of water softener salt may help the stand.

Could you get to the IBC to fill it? If so, a trickle to a water bowl may be an option. I don't think cutting it down and trying to bury it will be worth the effort.

Any feed plot you could do there?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've seen guys dig holes and line them with tarps and even a couple layers of 6mil poly. The deeper you dig, the longer it holds water. Hunting water spots in the early season is a golden strategy, especially in the evening.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Bag of water softener salt may help the stand.

Could you get to the IBC to fill it? If so, a trickle to a water bowl may be an option. I don't think cutting it down and trying to bury it will be worth the effort.

Any feed plot you could do there?

I would be filling a 25 gallon tank in the gator and then running a hose to the ibc tank and pumping in. Then running back to fill the 25 gallon tank and so on. The spot is over a deep trench that I get to by a make shift one man bridge.
    Its all pine needles and a deep pine needle base. Food plot wouldn't work. Not enough sun back there and its about 50 yards from a farm field also but they like congregating back here.

Thought about a baby pool but I don't feel like filling it up every week.

I can get an IBC tank for 50 bucks. So probably about the same as a galv tank and deeper so it won't freeze up as fast in the winter.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    What you will make is called a pit trap. Every small mammal, turtle, snake, lizard and insect in the area will end up in there dead

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What you will make is called a pit trap. Every small mammal, turtle, snake, lizard and insect in the area will end up in there dead
    Valid point. All the more reason to consider the tarp pit. The sides can have a very gentle slope so other animals can escape easily. :thumbsup:

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I would be filling a 25 gallon tank in the gator and then running a hose to the ibc tank and pumping in. Then running back to fill the 25 gallon tank and so on. The spot is over a deep trench that I get to by a make shift one man bridge.
    Its all pine needles and a deep pine needle base. Food plot wouldn't work. Not enough sun back there and its about 50 yards from a farm field also but they like congregating back here.

Thought about a baby pool but I don't feel like filling it up every week.

I can get an IBC tank for 50 bucks. So probably about the same as a galv tank and deeper so it won't freeze up as fast in the winter.

They make self filling water supplies that work like your toilet does. Here is a DIY version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWKBrXALQcY that uses toilet parts. They also make specific versions for animal applications.

You might want to think about poly drums. They are easier to move when full and you can get them for even less. I doubt you need a significant amount if you use a self filling version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom