• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I don’t want to derail H’s DQ thread but this story is worth discussing.

I delivered the Evening Capital back then. I remember reading the horrible story on the front page as I was folding papers. My neighbor was the chief at Earleigh Heights and he filled my parents in on some details which were not reported. I recall one victim was found impaled to a tree. I would guess you were probably just a few years older than those “kids” at the time. Seeing a scene like that today would probably result in some mandatory counseling. Back then I guess you just had to suck it up and move on and cope.

I have told the story to my children during our lessons in drivers training. I’ve even tried to find more details about the accident to reinforce the impact to them, but I was unsuccessful, because I couldn’t remember the date and exact location.

I’ve often wondered what happened to the driver. What became of his life and how did he live with the weight of such tragedy.

I remember the sentence was incredibly light. Alan Cole pretty much went off the radar after that. That year I was in the last month or so of my undergrad at WVU, and heard about it via letter from one of my friends. I didn't know any of the families although I partied at the Patuxent ponds in my mid teens. That particular corner, as mentioned above, was a common spot for accidents and the guard rails constantly getting replaced. My '69 Roadrunner slid around that corner on wet leaves doing about 40, way too fast for that car even in dry weather. It was a common mistake even for those growing up in the area like I did (next to Arundel High School). Piney Orchard destroyed much of that original road although that stretch is still there. I remember Hurricane Agnes flooding the river and coming over the bridge, sweeping my Dad's car (a '64 Ford wagon) to the side about 3 feet when I tried crossing it like a dip$h!t. Lots of good and bad memories from the area '67-79.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We would, but it's been busier than we want to deal with when we're going through.

Besides... they still have all of their outdoor seating covered in plastic wrap. OUTdoor!!

That was going to be something to comment on, but you know what a liar I am...

;)

LOL

I am bummed out about the plastic wrap on the outdoor seating too!

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    My wife for some reason or another just wants Dairy Queen sometimses. She used to work at one in HS and always went to one with her parents when she was growing up. This DQ location is far and away the worst DQ my wife and I have ever been to. I know exactly who the OP is talking about after he said she was in her 40s. My wife and I always joke around and call her the DQ C*** and laugh about how miserable she is whenever we talk about that place. The problem is, only other option for us nearby is the small one in Annapolis Mall. Most of the time we go to the Easton, MD location when visiting her parents.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    My wife for some reason or another just wants Dairy Queen sometimses. She used to work at one in HS and always went to one with her parents when she was growing up. This DQ location is far and away the worst DQ my wife and I have ever been to. I know exactly who the OP is talking about after he said she was in her 40s. My wife and I always joke around and call her the DQ C*** and laugh about how miserable she is whenever we talk about that place. The problem is, only other option for us nearby is the small one in Annapolis Mall. Most of the time we go to the Easton, MD location when visiting her parents.

My favorite has been the one in Lewes, DE. Everytime I go there and order a hot fudge milkshake (use hot fudge instead of chocolate syrup), the folks there always put a huge amount in.

I haven't been to the DQ in Odenton since 79 when I left town for good...

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My favorite has been the one in Lewes, DE. Everytime I go there and order a hot fudge milkshake (use hot fudge instead of chocolate syrup), the folks there always put a huge amount in.

I haven't been to the DQ in Odenton since 79 when I left town for good...

My father loves that DQ. Cheeseburger/fry/drink for $5 out the door.

Mr H

Banana'd

Wow...

I think I have a suspicion as to what might have set her off.

A bit later, the Missus asked me, "I don't remember... Were you wearing your hat at the time?"

Sure enough... I had on my Hi-Test Trump hat!

:lol2::lol2:

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Some of these restaurants are crazy. The Arby's in Edgewater won't open the inside either. I can't fit my truck in the drivethru as it's very tight. I went last week since I wanted some curly fries and a cherry turnover.. NOPE! Inside not open. Chic Fil A got my business that day lol

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    haha

Aren't you a sweetheart. I missed this on my first read through.

In addition, reading comprehension seems not to be your strong suit, as I said we left.

Please contact eruby for your next assignment.

eRuby?! hahahaha

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    damn

Bad times for me.....

From NTSB summary...

“About 9:15 p.m. on April 23, 1979, a compact pickup truck with 12 teenaged occupants was traveling between 64 and 78 mph along a winding country road near Crofton, Maryland, when it failed to negotiate a curve to the left.[1]*The truck ran off the right side of the road and struck three trees located about 7 feet from the edge of the pavement. Ten passengers were killed and one passenger was seriously injured; the driver was injured slightly."

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

looked it up. Two passed away after the accident and the one female in May. I do not remember this. I was 13 at the time. Sad to see a lot of them were 16 and under.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

Easton Dairy Queen . Wife likes it too. Haven’t been down that way in years though.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****DQ's Peanut Buster Parfait is the bomb diggity. I went to the DQ in Aspen Hill, and there was a huge line the other day - totally worth the wait and possible exposure to Covid. It's amazing how quickly the line moves and/or disappears when someone starts coughing uncontrollably and starts complaining they feel feverish! No, it wasn't me - but the creamy goodness, the hot fudge and the peanuts totally made it worthwhile standing in line obsessively using hand sanitizer every time I heard a cough.

I sometime wonder if really rich people have a DQ ice cream machine in their homes. If I were super rich, and had like a million dollars, I'd have one in my home - also two chicks. And, an ICEE machine, with real spoon straws.

That's pretty much it!

(I'd get some gun stuff too...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom