• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I have spent years looking at/for deer along the side of the road in my travels. Seen hundreds and hundreds along the travels to the eastern shore. Today I saw twin fawn piebalds. As we passed them up, we thought quickly about stopping to take a photo but I was afraid they would take off and run into the highway. Wife looked it up and the internets said they were as rare as 1-2% but I felt just a single piebald is more rare than that. These 2 were about 80% white and about a little over knee high.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Awesome sighting! Have seen several in Western MD and WV. The last couple that I saw were in Dolly Sods in WV a couple of years ago. Both were yearlings. Not certain if they were fraternal twins, sibs or just associating in a family group, but one was also a dwarf.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    They may be the deformity of nature, but they are pretty.

Had one over 80% white at our place about 10 years back. The first time I saw it freaked me out a little. I was thinking the neighbors lab. But as it came into view, it was a nice almost albino.

No one at our place got it. Didn’t see it the next year.

mdjunior

Mar 29, 2013
    Watched a new born piebald take its first steps 5 years ago. Watched it for about a half hour.got it on video

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My buddy had a Pie Bald buck he kept for breeding. One day some dogs came in and chased it back and forth around the enclosure to the point it shredded its ears to bits from running into the fence panicking.
    He kept it for about another year and with its rack messed up he finally put it down.

EVery once in a while we see a few of them come out. Seems like there is more and more of them to where the genes get passed down and one pops up.
    I never seen one in the woods when I was hunting, always from the road when driving.
    Theirs one just up the road on the way to town.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Doco, BTW, my sighting was off Rt90 going through Ocean Pines from OC. They were with mama doe on the north end. I'm not sure how long they will last before running into the road, hopefully they head away from the road tonight.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I posted on the local community facebook page and lots of people have seen them as well as other piebalds.
    Apparently, that area is a a bit of a Haven for the Piebald Genetics
    Here is a pic of the twins

Attachments

• piebaldfawns.jpg
      piebaldfawns.jpg
      135.8 KB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member