• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I am an adult leader with Troop 75 in Columbia Md. We would like to put together a weekend trip, camping somewhere close to a shooting facility and spending a day at the range.
    We want to give the scouts an oportunity to work on the rifle merit badge and introduce any nonshooter scouts and parents to firearms and safety. To this end I have completed the NRA rifle instructors course and am certified in BITS and rifle instructor.
    We had originally planned to camp at Mckeldin and and go to AGC but Mckeldin is already booked for this year. I have also been trying to get to Monumental's monthly meeting because I want to join and something has come up each month.

Any suggestions?

We want to do this for a June weekend trip.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Well, broad creek memorial scout reservation up here in harford county has their own rifle range, and a seperate range that the harford county police dept uses.

Another option could be Muddy Run camp ground up near holtwood pa. Its a famil type camp ground, but when i was a scout they had a few areas they would let our troop "hike in" and camp. Its near a few nice ranges, delta peachbottom, and slcsfa. Many people here are members at both ranges and could give you better contact info.

There is the public range at elk neck state park in cecil county. Some md shooters are volunteer range officers there, and i'm sure you could work out a few volunteers for your event. Its cheap, but you would want your range day on a weekday to avoid the crowds. Camping is available in the park nearby.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    huh...i have a number in my Cell. Contact Ranger Dave @ Broad Creek and check their schedule. I know our troops have stuff in mid June too to include the range. I'm voluneteering when I cna that week.

Ranger Dave 410-879-4922

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    We considered Broad Creek, but at that time they are gearing up for Scouting summer camps so we thought access would be difficult.
    Greenridge looks promising except for the distance. We try to keep our trips with a 2 hour drive on Columbia.

Thanks for quick responses!

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    Contact thurmont, I seem to remember they did some scouting stuff in previous years. If you need some contact info pm me. My dad is a member.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I am an adult leader with Troop 75 in Columbia Md. We would like to put together a weekend trip, camping somewhere close to a shooting facility and spending a day at the range.
    We want to give the scouts an oportunity to work on the rifle merit badge and introduce any nonshooter scouts and parents to firearms and safety. To this end I have completed the NRA rifle instructors course and am certified in BITS and rifle instructor.
    We had originally planned to camp at Mckeldin and and go to AGC but Mckeldin is already booked for this year. I have also been trying to get to Monumental's monthly meeting because I want to join and something has come up each month.

Any suggestions?

We want to do this for a June weekend trip.

Baltimore County Game & Fish Ass.
    http://www.bcgf.org

They have Scouts there Camping and such year around. On-site Shooting too!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    We considered Broad Creek, but at that time they are gearing up for Scouting summer camps so we thought access would be difficult.
    Greenridge looks promising except for the distance. We try to keep our trips with a 2 hour drive on Columbia.

Thanks for quick responses!

Well broad creek has several parts. I believe only 1 or 2 are actually used for traditional "summer camp". 2 are mostly unused. 1 has a nice lodge only used for OA......

I think i may have said too much....

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Depending on the specifics, I'd gladly loan you guys my .22 and give you some ammo - I loved my time in the Boy Scouts.

00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    Check with the Mt Airy Gun Club. They have a Troop camp site across the road. I cannot remember the troop number.

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    ...how about the Scout property out in Manassas? It's called Camp Snyder and located in Haymarket. I've been supporting the annual Cub Scout Jamboree out there (for r/c subs) and they've had an area set up for the kids to use .22 rifles.

-Jeff

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Baltimore County Game & Fish Ass.
    http://www.bcgf.org

They have Scouts there Camping and such year around. On-site Shooting too!

BCGF plans the boy scout events for 2 weeks during the year and always a year in advance. It's real tough to get an event scheduled if you haven't already done so the year prior.

Depending on how far you want to travel you might see if Elk Neck would host them.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    fyi: BSA= .22 LR bolt guns only.

I did a shhoting aports weekend for my kids troop and it was a thankless endeavor.

BSA=not what it used to be.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina

I did a shhoting aports weekend for my kids troop and it was a thankless endeavor.

Really? Man when I was a kid we made a weekend trip to somewhere with cabins and a range. We spent all day sturday reloading shotgun shells, and all day Sunday shooting a varietly of rifles/shotguns. We had .22lr's, .308 bolt guns with scopes, a 12ga, a 20ga and even a M1 Garand.... That is a very bright memory for me, shame they've pussified that.

I know the BSA has come under attack a few times, and for a non-profit they only have limited resources to fight it. You have to pick your batttles I guess.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD

I think we can use semis if we single feed, Scoutmaster is checking with district on that.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    OP

Were you guys at Klondike. Im with the 483 out of Sliver Run. MD. We had the 4 man sky challenge. I was the one with the OD boonie on.

Im a rifle instructor also and was hoping I could train my troop or at least my own kids for their badge but I was told it had to be at a BS camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom