• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Gunbroker appears to be a waste of time.
    Looking for a specific firearm (Ruger 96 in this case)
    I created a saved search with email alert, I get an email alert every single day that there is a new listing in my search criteria,, but there is none,, I believe they do this just to get hits on their site.
    I can not sort the search results by latest listed, so I have to file through all the listings.
    And lastly,, Gunbroker seems to be the gathering point for people who want to pay twice what said firearm sells for in most shops.

Any better alternatives?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Gunbroker serves a purpose. I've found a number of guns I've wanted and couldn't find before. I've found some excellent deals on Gunbroker but you have to be very careful to not get a case of "auction fever" where you go beyond your comfort zone of money to spend and must win the auction no matter what. There are often some local auctions where you can find some great deals.

I've never used Armslist...heard that it's full of scammers. The best advice I hear about that site to to only deal with face-to-face sellers as it's too risky otherwise.

Take a look at Guns International. Seller set a fixed price...no auctions. They pay a fixed fee to list an item...not a percentage of the sale. I know several seller that gave up on Gunbrokers and now sell on GI.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yes, those, minus the over inflated price, not paying 700-1200 for a gun that sold in walmart for $249.00 10 years ago.
    Case in point is on Gunbroker a Marlin 39A is going for 600-1000,, I picked one up locally for 250.00
    A Marlin 39D is 800+,, picked one up word of mouth for 375.00

Guess once they are listed online, no matter the site,, they are selling for dream prices.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    There is gunauction.com, gunsinternational.com, gunsamerica.com
    Good luck. You may find one locally for $100, but probably not. I hope you're in no hurry either, they don't show up often at ANY price. Of the tens of thousands of guns listed on GB right now, there's only 7 of these. These things were NOT popular at all while they were in production, but as soon as they stopped, everybody had to have one. Supply and demand and all. The cheapest I see on GB now is $500. You probably should have picked up one for $250 in WalMart 10 years ago.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    An advantage to Gunbroker is you can sometimes come up with something hard to find...something unusual you might not find otherwise. I've been wanting a Colt Delta Elite with a stainless frame and polished blue slide...some were made during the late '80s and are somewhat hard to find and expensive when you do. Some time back I purchased a NOS blue Delta Elite slide and barrel and have been waiting for the right pistol to come along to mate them to. Less than two weeks ago I found a Delta Elite on Gunbroker that had a Colt frame and an aftermarket slide...it's already a bit of a Frankengun so I feel there's nothing to lose with putting my slide on it. I bought it for not too much money (I was the only one to bid on it)...am waiting now for the MSP official okey-dokey so I can pick it up. Once I have it I can sell the aftermarket slide to help offset some of the costs and have the pistol I want. I doubt if I would have found the frame otherwise without the internet and sites like Gunbrokers.

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    I have bought may guns off of Gunbroker for way less than they are worth. Yea there are people on there who are on crack when they list their items but there are just as many who start at a fair price. Your looking for a Ruger 96. Just like the 10/22 magnum they did not make too many and they bring good money. Just take your time and you will run into one when you least expect it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've used GB a few times. Sure, there's dreamers and scalpers but I haven't overpaid. If something is rare, it's gonna be expensive no matter what the original price was. My Springfield M6 Scout was just over $200 when I bought it. Now $800 would be a deal. (No, it's not for sale, either.) Glad I grabbed it when I did. If you want a great price, you have to hunt and wait.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They are selling for the same price on Gunsamerca and a few othe places I checked. Lever actions are the hotness right now. These have the particular advantage that they have a lot of 10/22 interchangeability. You might get lucky and find one on pawn if you call around, but i suspect if you really want #this# gun you will have to pay north of $500. It does not matter what they sold for in Wal Mart back in the day. A Colt Python sold for peanuts in 1968 and you could probably buy it from the Sears Catalog. A mint 1968 Python with the original box now goes for $3000. When they stop making nice guns, the value rises.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the reality check ya'll.
    I'll stick to the hole in the wall pawn shops, and let my fingers do the walking.
    Sad fact is, I can buy one right now for $600.00 on GB,, but I am a tight wad and don't want to pay over $350.00,, but will end up burning up 500.00 plus worth of my time "looking" for a cheap you.
    I should just buy one for $600.00 and hit a few more service calls and make an additional 500.00
    But what fun is that??

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I picked up a Ruger PC Carbine pretty inexpensively on GB.

$394+$16+$30 = $440 total estimated cost.

And I got what I wanted, not what was in stock. Even if not the best price around, there is value to that.

OTOH, it IS a huge hassle. Lots of email, getting FFLs to send their data, and the GB purchase data, USPS Money Orders (my issue but still), then the transfer paperwork.

Jul 1, 2012
    I think you may need to readjust your spending expectations, current Blue Book has the Model 96 at $475 in 98% condition
    (which hasn't been updated since 2015 so probably more now) and $600 for NIB.
    That 2015 price probably translates to $500-$550 today for 98%.
    It lists the last MSRP at $451 ca 2008.

It takes some time and patience to learn how to use GB effectively.
    For instance, you can change the settings on the email alerts to exclude relists.
    Some users have 1-day auctions (which GB now penalizes) which may be giving you the email a day.

It doesn't help that they keep changing the damn interface though, to "make it easier" (aka " so it looks good on mobile phones").
    The new "Dashboard" is horrendous, and pretty much useless the way it is set up by default.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks,
    I will refine my searches.
    I don't have a problem with a 96/22 NIB going for $600,, or a 98% for $500.
    I am looking for a 60-80% gun,, or even a "beater"
    Problem I have with GB is EVERY gun is listed at "No Reserve" WITH a starting bid,, THAT IS a reserve. And everyone with a beater thinks it's NIB and sets the starting bid at that.
    Add to that the Auction mentality,, Last equipment auction I went too,, I saw used power tools going for more than you could buy them new down the street at Home Depot.

I think you may need to readjust your spending expectations, current Blue Book has the Model 96 at $475 in 98% condition
    (which hasn't been updated since 2015 so probably more now) and $600 for NIB.
    That 2015 price probably translates to $500-$550 today for 98%.
    It lists the last MSRP at $451 ca 2008.

It takes some time and patience to learn how to use GB effectively.
    For instance, you can change the settings on the email alerts to exclude relists.
    Some users have 1-day auctions (which GB now penalizes) which may be giving you the email a day.

It doesn't help that they keep changing the damn interface though, to "make it easier" (aka " so it looks good on mobile phones").
    The new "Dashboard" is horrendous, and pretty much useless the way it is set up by default.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "No Reserve" with a starting bid is a lot better than a reserve but 0.00 bid. At least we know what the reserve is. Having a hidden reserve annoys me more.

If you put them on the watch list, sometimes the seller lowers the reserve, or puts them on "take a shot" where you can make an offer. After the listing closes with no sale, it will show the new listing.

Some sellers actually have no reserve and start at 0.00. But, that does not guarantee a low price. In fact, sometimes the opposite - people get into a bidding war.

Keep in mind the golden rule of hunting for deals: you can determine the price but not when you find it, or you can buy it now (and usually pay more.)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Reserve with a lower than reserve starting bid, allows the seller to sell to the high bidder, even if the bidding does not reach the reserve.

Starting bid at the "reserve" price, means NO bids below the starting price. And you might get no bids at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom