• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Welcome to the age of the internet.

I'm not sure what the Internet has to do with the point that Jay was trying, nicely, to make. Especially on desirable guns, you will lose more friends than you will make by posting links to live auctions or posting details that will lead others to find live auctions. We are each other's competition, and many forum members (me included) have lost nice guns because someone decided to post a live link. This is why linking to live auctions is strictly forbidden and will earn you infractions at Gunboards.

I'm not sure what the Internet has to do with the point that Jay was trying, nicely, to make. Especially on desirable guns, you will lose more friends than you will make by posting links to live auctions or posting details that will lead others to find live auctions. We are each other's competition, and many forum members (me included) have lost nice guns because someone decided to post a live link. This is why linking to live auctions is strictly forbidden and will earn you infractions at Gunboards.

I didn't realize that it was uncool to share info on a live auction, as it has been done many times before. My intent was to give MDS members a heads-up on what I thought was going to be a killer deal. Multiple members have asked about Krag Carbines in the past. There was a member here who bid due to my posts.
    If I damaged another MDS member's bidding by doing so, I apologize.

It's not a Bubba...it was done by the Army at Benecia Arsenal. It's an official government done carbine...it just didn't start life as one. They were sold through the NRA.

I was just busting your chops. I should have added an emoji.:D:innocent0
    I'm starting to regret starting this thread, as I'm coming across as an ass on multiple levels. Sorry to all for appearing that way.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I didn't realize that it was uncool to share info on a live auction, as it has been done many times before. My intent was to give MDS members a heads-up on what I thought was going to be a killer deal. Multiple members have asked about Krag Carbines in the past. There was a member here who bid due to my posts.

If I damaged another MDS member's bidding by doing so, I apologize.

It’s not a rule here, but most forum members follow it as a matter of courtesy. The best approach is to PM details to people who you know might be interested.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It’s not a rule here, but most forum members follow it as a matter of courtesy. The best approach is to PM details to people who you know might be interested.

Agreed, this is the best way to do it. I've been fortunate to have MDS members give me a heads up on items and I try to do the same for them.
    Squaregrouper, no worries. You've been great about sharing your extensive knowledge on the subject of Krags and I for one am appreciative.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Had it been a rifle, I might have bid on it. It seems to me a public auction should be public. :shrug:
    I’m with you. It’s called advertising, and it helps the seller and those who are not aware who have an interest. If there is something amiss, then that too will come out. The secret society of bidders approach is not convincing.
    Hope all enjoy the holiday.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    As I said, it isn’t prohibited here - it is just a matter of courtesy to other forum members who might want to bid. And I’ve said what I had to say so I’m not going to engage in a bunch of back and forth about the issue. But, to say that this is a “public auction” or we’re just helping the seller” completely misses the mark. Every gun in every gun store is “public” but that doesn’t mean it is easy to find. And, we’re collectors, not sellers. Statements like that reveal an obvious ignorance as to how much time and effort many collectors put into finding special guns for their collections. Creating numerous searches to cover a wide swath of possibilities (e.g., “moisin”, etc.) in hopes of finding that one great gun that is flying under the radar, spending hours each day going through saved search results, etc. And all of that effort can be ruined by someone who has no interest in buying the gun posts “hey guys, look at this auction for a rare 1937 Tikka M27 ....”. Like I said, do what you feel is right, but you will make more enemies than friends.

Jul 1, 2012
    ^^^^^ Exactly ^^^^^

But this is probably one of those things that if it has to be explained, there's not much point in explaining.

As a tengible example, Mawkie's newly acquired 1903 was bought well under-value because it flew under the radar, and he spent the time and effort to dig it out.
    Years of searching for that very gun, in fact.
    It would have been massively disappointing if someone had publicly posted a link to the auction before it closed (here or elsewhere),
    and essentially encouraged others to bid because it was such a great deal on a scarce variation.

Just think about it the next time you are bidding on something you spent hours (months/years) ferreting out that's selling at half-value, with fingers crossed it closes that way.

There's no reason to "help the seller", I don't understand that mind-set.
    The seller helps themselves by doing their research, providing good clean pics and a detailed description... especially if they are a professional dealer.
    Anything less than that and it's on them, not the "public" to do their work for them.

As to the original topic, posting the link after the auction is over as an example of what to look for would be very educational.
    Remembering of course that GB wipes out an auction after 90 days.
    I don't collect Krags but the info the OP has provided here and elsewhere is very useful to those who do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom