• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I borrowed a Hornady OAL gauge (Thanks Speed3) for my 6.5CM handloads and determined my lands and grooves are far longer than the "max 2.825" SAAMI specs (some bullets go to 2.885 before contact).
    Here is the problem and my Appalachian Engineering fix...
    With ELD-M 147gr, if I'm loading to 2.865", the small, removable tapered crimp inside the die actually squeezes the projectile- leaving a visible ring around the bullet. I measured the bullet's diameter at the point slightly wider than the ring, but not yet close to the ogive. I determined running an 11/64" drill bit into the end of the taper cone would allow the long 147gr projectile to be seated deeper into the die without leaving the crimp ring on the projectile.
    Has anyone else needed to do this? Did I just commit a reloading no no?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't see the harm, as long as you have no intention of taper crimping in the future.. lol

What dies are you using? I am getting ready to start loading for the 6.5cm, but for a gas gun, so not sure if I'll load 147's

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    I know for some dies you can get a separate plug to accommodate the longer projectiles. Maybe you accomplished the same thing, but not sure what will happen if you go back to shorter ones.

This might help explain what I did- If you look just beyond the ballistic tip, you can see a crimp on the copper jacket. It is really obvious in person.
    The tube next to the projectile is conical and came to a point. I drilled out the narrowest part, so it is now more akin to a necked cartridge than a full cone. I hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• 20180309_091645.jpg
      20180309_091645.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 173

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Looks like you need a seating stem for VLD type bullets. The VLD seating stem makes contact much farther back on the bullet than a standard stem does while giving more clearance for the tip of the bullet..

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    Looks like you need a seating stem for VLD type bullets. The VLD seating stem makes contact much farther back on the bullet than a standard stem does while giving more clearance for the tip of the bullet..

This^^^^

But it sounds like maybe you made your own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom