• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Received this this morning.

If you cannot see this email click here.

Senator Nancy Jacobs, District 34, Maryland, Harford and Cecil Counties, NancyJacobs.com

2010 Sex Offender Bill Update: April 12, 2010
    The Annapolis legislative session ends tonight at midnight. There is still a lot of unfinished business to be done. This is especially true with the legislation to protect our children from sex offenders.

Yesterday the Senate passed House Bill 254, which is the cross file of my Senate Bill 622- Crimes - Sexual Offenses Against Children - Jessica's Law Enhancement. Both bills have passed each chamber, but there is a major difference in the two bills that must be reconciled in order for them to become law.

SB 622 requires a 20 year mandatory minimum sentence for a second degree sex offense/rape of a child under the age of 13 years. HB 254 has been amended to a 15 year sentence.

It is all but certain that House Judiciary Chairman will not allow the bill with 20 years to go forward. The advocates are encouraging us to accept the 15 year penalty and I believe that if we don’t accept it we will not have a bill at all.

The current five year sentence that was passed in my Jessica’s Law in 2007 is not tough enough. We tried for more in 2007, but my colleagues would not pass it.

It is crucial that we get tougher on child sex offenders. If we don’t pass SB 622 and HB 254 at 15 years, child sex offenders won’t get more than a slap on the wrist when they brutally rape a child under the age of 13.

One last time, I am asking that you contact members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings with this message:

“I urge you to please accept the 15 year penalty on SB 622 and HB 254. It is more important to keep child sex offenders in jail for 15 years than it is to fight for 20 years and lose the bill. Please pass these bills at 15 years. The children of Maryland will be forever grateful.”

Thank you so much for making calls and emailing my colleagues on behalf of the children of Maryland.

God bless you.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Actually this time it looks like Vallario is the the one that won't let 20 years through.

It is all but certain that House Judiciary Chairman will not allow the bill with 20 years to go forward.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Actually this time it looks like Vallario is the the one that won't let 20 years through.

And it clearly said "House". Thanks for calling me out on it. I correct this above.

I know Vallario had some issues with definitions of various crimes. I think some cast a real large net and brought in kids hooking up and "sexting". There was a thread here where most people agreed there was a difference and actually supported him on those issues.

I assume this has been handled and we're down to terms for "forceable rape of someone younger than 13" and other similar crimes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom