PSA PA10 GenII comments and observations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    On the shooting with the new barrel. Do you let tour barrel cool off in between those rounds/groups ? No "break-in" procedure ? I can never get more than about 40-50 rounds done in a day with break-in off barrel.

The range I use has 20 minute firing sessions, after 20mins, people are allowed to go check or place targets, and that usually takes about 6mins.... that is the only real cool down periods.

I wanted to see how the barrel could handle a little abuse, and How it would react ( accuracy wise to said firing schedule )

I did thoroughly clean the barrel prior to firing any ammo.

But, during the day I just fired ammo. Even at the end of the day the Criterion barrel would shot sub MOA 7rd groups with FGMM, so I am quite pleased.

I know Criterion recommends a better break in procedure, but I didn't do it.
    Even without the break in... I am VERY happy with the consistent performance of the Criterion. I now have a quite accurate .308 AR for little money and effort.

I was comfortable with its already lapped bore... and was actually more concerned with its tighter chamber.

Prior to anymore firing I will thoroughly clean the barrel... and fire slower more methodical groups with the various ammo's that showed better accuracy promise.

I want to be able to enjoy the barrel without fear of abusing it. So in a nutshell... I fired it about as hard as it will ever see , and proved to myself it can handle it... and still produce repeatable accuracy from a MSR.

I also don't feel like I did any "damage" to the barrel with my firing schedule.... Heck that lousy grouping ZQI probably did more damage just from the wasted barrel life from even firing it ! Lol

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    What contour is that barrel ? HBAR ? It does seem to hold groups better than many I have seen. Thanks

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    It was nice of you you post your experiences with the PA10. The SLR adjustables and Tubb Springs are an improvement.

I also wrote a less detailed summary about PSA10's.

I will note some things that I know to be factual about them.

Nickle Boron is the worst coating that can be applied to a Bolt or Carrier. I would prefer a BCG in the white than with NiB. I did a huge writuo about NiB.

PSA over torques many of their barrel nuts.

PSA uses YFS fasteners for Gas Keys. They are inferior and will likely shear off.

The chambers on PA10 are cut to .308 Headspace Specs, some even shorter. Firing 7.62 NATO from it can result in problems. They are not cut for NATO Ammo, which has a longer headsapce spec.

If I buy one of these, do I need to have a local smith check or modify the headspace for 7.62 NATO? (seems to be available again as an inexpensive import)

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    If I buy one of these, do I need to have a local smith check or modify the headspace for 7.62 NATO? (seems to be available again as an inexpensive import)

The PSA PA10 GenII should be GTG from PSA... Both the nitrated and SS uppers were in spec.

The Criterion barrel has a chamber similar to a .223 Wylde... and was also in spec.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    What contour is that barrel ? HBAR ? It does seem to hold groups better than many I have seen. Thanks

It is the Hybrid contour from Criterion...the PSA contour is on the top.. Criterion on the bottom.

Specifically this one...18" , middie..

https://msrarms.com/products/criterion-barrels-nitride-finish-stainless-steel-hybrid-contour-barrel-308-ar?variant=29092302337

I really love the Criterion barrel, but also think the Loctite 609 and receiver truing helps for cutting down flyers as well..

IMG_2504.thumb.jpg.1649a7a6008aece0888977c99856828c.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Bfoosh, I really appreciate all your effort and time in this thread/project. IMHO, this thread tells me NOT to purchase a PSA GenII AR-10 ! It looks like you could have just built one and been better off, or paid up front for a rifle that didn't need all the attention. What are your feelings ? Thanks again !

Reading this makes me wary of any AR 10 purchase without first doing a lot of research. There seems to be more issues with the not-so-standard AR 10's in 308, as compared to the well understood AR 15 standard in a less powerful 223 caliber. How much do you have to spend to get a reliable and descent shooting AR 10 out of the box as opposed to having to do a lot of tweaking?

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    Reading this makes me wary of any AR 10 purchase without first doing a lot of research. There seems to be more issues with the not-so-standard AR 10's in 308, as compared to the well understood AR 15 standard in a less powerful 223 caliber. How much do you have to spend to get a reliable and descent shooting AR 10 out of the box as opposed to having to do a lot of tweaking?

If you look at the first parts of this thread... and depending on your desired accuracy... even the OEM PSA PA10 GII will shoot well with the right ammo. FGMM 168gr shot 1MOA from the nitrated barrel... as well as numerous other different ammo's right around 1.5MOA.

I added the SLR adjustable gas block in order to help tame the recoil and put less stress on the rifle's parts.

In reality, I would still suggest the SLR and just the OEM PSA if someone was looking for a decent AR10 platform.

Everything I added on was bought on sale at good prices... even the SLR was only $99 w/ free shipping.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good to know.

Are you talking about these? http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp...MN=Lancer&CMNum=153&CMSNum=621&CMSN=Magazines

Also, do you do classes for these? Thanks.

Those are the good mags.

I will now allow students to bring .308 D.I. AR's to my AR15 Armorers classes. I have all of the proper gauges to gauge them out but there is material in the class that does not apply to the .308 AR's.

As long as a student understands that they have a non standard gun that some material does not apply to, they can attend.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    Lancers are great mags... the problem is they don't function well in my PSA PA10 GenII.

The BCG seems to "drag" on the mag... or the fully loaded rounds... resulting in poor feeding at times... Remember I am running an Adjustable gas block so that might be part of the issue.

I haven't looked into it to much since Magpuls, IMI, and the D&H mags all run perfectly.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    And I forgot to mention... I bought a PSA 6.5CM upper for further testing / reporting as well... waiting on delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom