• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Either of you 1st 2 posters also consider the DPMS Oracle .308? All three of these peak my interest for a decent (i.e. good shooter, reliable, not necessarily finest rifle in the world) AR10 rifle. Ultimate goal is a SASS type long range precision AR10. At this point not willing to pay $2,500 to $3,000 for one. Rather than an A+ rifle, I'm willing to settle for a B or B+ at this point. I'm curious if either the Windham, the Savage, the DPMS, or even possibly the M&P10 is a "good enough " rifle for now than can maybe be upgraded to an A or A+ rifle later with a few simple swap-outs.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    S&W M&P 10 may also be worth a look. I am still sorting out all the differences between these as there does not seem to be a standard "AR10" rifle. With an AR15 it's a lot easier.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have both an Armalite AR-10 and a Colt LE901-SE. The AR-10 cost me $999. The Colt was close to double that. I tested them side-by-side with ammunition from the same box, same magazine and off-hand. They weighed the same but balanced somewhat different. The Colt was more accurate with somewhat less felt recoil. Overall, the Colt is a better rifle but not for twice the cost. The differences weren't that great...the Armalite is a more cost effective rifle, even if not as accurate. The difference in accuracy wasn't that much and I was using white box Winchester 7.62 ball ammunition, not match grade.

Regardless, I'd feel comfortable using either to defend hearth and home. Both are exemplary examples of the breed.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have the m&p 10 . I like it it's my only 308 ar. I know alot of the parts are proprietary but I didnt plan on modifying this rifle too much. Put on a acs-l stock , SSA trigger , vortex 2-8 diamondback and magpul offset sights. Maybe they will offer their 6.5 uppper for sale eventually. I like windham stuff too but am not familiar with their 308.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom