• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    So last night my wife says she might want to go to the range with me, which is a huge surprise :fingerscrossed: My first post on MDS was advice on how to get a firearm in the house! She mentioned the ladies Olympic shooting (ski & shoot) and home security...that she should know how to operate my firearms.

Has anyone had a spouse show interest all of a sudden? How did you proceed? I'm excited but don't want to spook her! She mentioned getting an instructor so that we don't get frustrated w/each other.

I could obviously teach her myself and promise to be good, I could hire 1 on 1 training, or the NRA range has a "Ladies Only 1st steps Pistol Class".

Lastly- the softest shooting firearm I have is a Glock 17. Do you think 115 grain ammo would be ok out of that thing? She's medium build/height.

[UPDATE- RANGE REPORT ON PG 3, POST #54]

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Now you'll really have to start flushing and learn to put the toilet seat down.

And don't get mad when out shoots you. Women are great shots.

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I started my wife with a .357 revolver shooting .38 sp. she really liked the revolver and showed interest in the semi autos. She hates shooting the Glock 19 but loves the 1911. We are in the process of finding a gun that she prefers. I've always wanted a beretta 92 so hopefully she like shooting it :)

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have a wife who was firearms illiterate and came from a culture that fed a steady diet of anti-gun misinformation. She took a women on target class with Patty West et.al. through Monumental Rifle and Pistol at the Assoc. Gun Clubs of MD range. She had nothing but good things to say about the class. She found it a very comfortable environment for learning a skill set that was intimidating. Kudos to those that teach that class!
    I strongly suggest this or a similar route. Other than teaching the basic safety rules for firearms, I relied on others to give her good training. This is after trying and failing to teach her to drive manual and another activity I was paid to successfully teach other people.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If you can borrow or rent a .22 I really recommend it for a first time shooter, especially a woman. Another good option is a .38 revolver with target loads. (148 grain wadcutters). 9mm is no big deal to you or me but to someone who has never fired a pistol before starting off with one can lead to a bad flinching habit. Since she said "might" want to go to the range she appears to have some reservations. it would probably be best to do what you can to make it easier and most enjoyable for her.

OTOH you know her a lot better than anyone in this forum, maybe you have reason to believe it won't be an issue for her.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    My wife said that if there was a gun in the house, then she wanted to know how to use it. My .40 is too much for her, so I bought her an SR-22. She likes it. She often asks me if I can go to work late so that we can go to the range after the kids get on the bus.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    If you can borrow or rent a .22 I really recommend it for a first time shooter, especially a woman. Another good option is a .38 revolver with target loads. (148 grain wadcutters). 9mm is no big deal to you or me but to someone who has never fired a pistol before starting off with one can lead to a bad flinching habit. Since she said "might" want to go to the range she appears to have some reservations. it would probably be best to do what you can to make it easier and most enjoyable for her.

OTOH you know her a lot better than anyone in this forum, maybe you have reason to believe it won't be an issue for her.

I hear you on the .22. I think the NRA course will loan a gun and the "ladies" class likely has .22 available. I'll ask next time I'm at the range.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    My wife's first gun was a revolver .357 Magnum, when we got semi-autos we trained with Mike Brudzinski and Patty West, both on here, now she's got a .22, a .380, and a 9 mm. She enjoys it almost as much as me but she hasn't shot my 1911 yet.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    my wife loves shooting my 1911. for some reason I cant get her to pick up an ar no matter what I do. I think it is because I let her try shooting one of my ak's once and she said it kicked too hard.... now she wont touch a long gun.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My wife has always shot whatever gun I had taken to the range. Yesterday, she bought a shotgun. This one is all hers, not one I had in the safe and gave her. She paid, she did the paperwork and it's all hers.

When I first brought a gun in the house, she cried. Now, she has one of her very own.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Don't give her the safe combination until you are sure! Let me guess its her birthday or your anniversary? :sad20:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My wife has always shot whatever gun I had taken to the range. Yesterday, she bought a shotgun. This one is all hers, not one I had in the safe and gave her. She paid, she did the paperwork and it's all hers.

When I first brought a gun in the house, she cried. Now, she has one of her very own.

:thumbsup:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Buy her her own .22 - she can practice all day for a few dollars, and she'll quickly lose that "jumpiness" that new shooters who aren't used to gunshots usually have. She'll then crave more powerful calibers, and want another gun. At which point you, as a supportive spouse, will be more than happy to oblige. :D

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Now you'll really have to start flushing and learn to put the toilet seat down.

And don't get mad when out shoots you. Women are great shots.

Ha. I keep her happy if you know what I mean :innocent0

I have no doubt that she'll be a better shot. That's fine with me; I worry about her home with so many damn solicitors and construction crews floating through Bethesda.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    md123, in my experience, the husband teaching the wife thing usually goes one of 2 ways. Either she accepts instruction just fine from you, and it's not an issue, or she is resistant, you end up fighting, and the whole experience is less than ideal. You probably already know which way things are likely to go. If you need, I would be happy to get your wife started gratis. The ranges I usually frequent are Free State and Continental.

As for the question of what caliber/gun, the more important question I have is how does your G17 fit her hand? My wife, for example, likes shooting our Sigs far more than our Glocks. A 9mm is fine for most women, but she might like the experience better if she starts off with a .22. For someone who has never shot before, I usually put a .22 conversion kit in one of my P229s to start with, then switch to the regular 9mm slide after they are comfortable. You could consider getting a .22 conversion for your G17.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Be afraid. Be very afraid when she takes up an interest in shooting.

I find myself in the position of having to beg my wife to take me out to dinner or to let me get a new outfit when all she wants to do is buy ammo, go hunting or practice at the range.

Don't end up like me. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom