• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Afternoon all,

So i am ready to try and take the plunge into getting my first can. I think i would prefer to go the trust route... Has anyone successfully used a lawyer here in MD to have one drawn up? I would prefer to use a lawyer that is fairly familiar with the process. I don't want my paperwork to get hung up forever.

I know this has been discussed a lot already, just curious if anyone can recommend a lawyer for the job?

Thanks, Mike

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I used the Quiken 2009 WIllmaker.

If no one chimes in Google "find estate planning lawyer" to see if there are any in your locale.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I made the trust for an AOW.

So far so good, my FFL asked for the schedule A because the BATFE wanted it. He stated it was a good sign, and we'll know in a few weeks.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    When I asked this is what I was told and they were right. This guy makes iot easy.

$600. He can do your trust via phone and email in a day if you aren't nearby.

Doug Warfel
    The Warfel Law Firm, P.A.
    2601 Garrett Road
    White Hall, Maryland 21161
    (410) 245-3352 DIRECT
    (443) 281-5555 FAX
    dwarfel@warfellaw.com

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input!!! I will give him a call tomorrow assuming i can locate him via Google :-)

Without sounding stupid, as i am a newby to NFA related items..

What info should i have prepared for him when i call?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    ah you were at GC saturday when I was dropping off somethings and picking up raffle money

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Yes sir... that was me!

I am trying to get things in line to buy my first suppressor, just want to make sure i do everything correctly. I dont want my application being suck in limbo forever.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    When I asked this is what I was told and they were right. This guy makes iot easy.

$600. He can do your trust via phone and email in a day if you aren't nearby.

Doug Warfel
    The Warfel Law Firm, P.A.
    2601 Garrett Road
    White Hall, Maryland 21161
    (410) 245-3352 DIRECT
    (443) 281-5555 FAX
    dwarfel@warfellaw.com

These guys are right.

Setting up your personal trust is not smart unless you are VERY familiar with Estate Planning and applicable laws. Smart people dont represent themselves in court or when making legal documents, unless they are an attorney.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input!!! I will give him a call tomorrow assuming i can locate him via Google :-)

Without sounding stupid, as i am a newby to NFA related items..

What info should i have prepared for him when i call?

They will ask who wout want to beneficialy trustees, if you want a co trustee (Wife), or who will stand in in the event that you and your possible co-trustee die, and the beneficiary trusteesa re not of age yet.

For example, my Wife and I are Co-Trustees, this allows her and I to both have access to the NFA items, where if it was done as an individual only the person on the form can have access.

My children (5) are beneficiary trustees. They will get the property in the event of my wife and I's death.

My brother is listed as hendling the NFA items in the event my wife and I die before they are legally elligible to take posession of the NFA devices.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Perfect then.... Thats exactly how i want to have mine done! I will be calling Doug tomorrow about getting the process started. First i need to make another trip to the gun connection to make sure they still have one for me?

Thanks again to all !!

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    :DMake the calls and save the Gas $$$. Doug will e-mail you what you need and you don't have to leave the couch if you dont want to.:D

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Correct and to do it right a Trust Banking Account should be created. My Credit Union Notarized the documents for free and set up the Trust Account.

Some Credit unions are wary of trusts. Just an FYI. Mine gave me a fit, but relented after checking into it. They prefer lawyers to do that sort of thing.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I'm assuming this Trust could be used for any future NFA items?

I want to SBR my carbine now, but might possible want to aquire a surpressor sometime in the future.
    Just trying to figure out if the 600 beans is a one-time deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom