• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    I have a request for anyone in the general vicinity of Howard county. If you own an M1917, could I bother you to let me try the bolt in my P14 action? This is a sporterized gun chambered in 257 weatherby. Why they chose this platform, I have no idea. The 303 mag is way too short for any reasonable 257 round. Only the bolt face is a good match.

Anyway, I am looking to re-chamber, possibly in 6.5-284. The 30-06 bolt should fit that, AFAIK, but I want to see if it will fit and lock in the P14 action without any problems.

Thanks!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have a request for anyone in the general vicinity of Howard county. If you own an M1917, could I bother you to let me try the bolt in my P14 action? This is a sporterized gun chambered in 257 weatherby. Why they chose this platform, I have no idea. The 303 mag is way too short for any reasonable 257 round. Only the bolt face is a good match.

Anyway, I am looking to re-chamber, possibly in 6.5-284. The 30-06 bolt should fit that, AFAIK, but I want to see if it will fit and lock in the P14 action without any problems.

Thanks!

Yes, it will without the extractor installed. The extractors front is different in the breech face between 17 and 14 where they interact with the barrel tenon.
    Also, the ejectors differ some between the two models as well as the box mag components.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    The 1917 bolt fits fine in a P14 action, but as stated already, the breach is slightly different on the barrel of a P14, so the extractor interferes. The other big differences are the magazine box and the follower. If you want to feed full length magnum cartridges, swapping in a 1917 magazine box and follower is an option (some fiddling and filing on the follower is necessary).

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Thanks. So you're saying the bolt won't close completely because of the extractor? Can the extractor be swapped?

I have a 1917 mag box but it doesn't fit, even without the follower. I haven't poked around enough to see how much filing would be necessary to make it fit.

The 1917 bolt fits fine in a P14 action, but as stated already, the breach is slightly different on the barrel of a P14, so the extractor interferes. The other big differences are the magazine box and the follower. If you want to feed full length magnum cartridges, swapping in a 1917 magazine box and follower is an option (some fiddling and filing on the follower is necessary).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    P14 extractor has a finger that sticks out the front like a claw. The barrel tenon is milled to accept the finger that gets levered out of the way off the cartridge rim once in battery. The extractor slot is angled and so is the finger.
    The m17 extractor face is flat and the breech face milling done somewhat larger and in a different shape. The claw at extractor end of 17 does not move off of cartridge extractor groove.
    An extractor from either p14 or 17 should swap between bolts, it’s the differences in how the extractors interact with the barrel tenon and cartridge type you need to primarily consider.
    A M17 bolt minus extractor will close in a p14 action without removing the bolt stop and ejector.
    Rotor the extractor collar to the right as it would normally be with the extractor mounted.
    Theirs also a dimple in a m17 bolt that allows the sear to move completely upwards to make sure it’s in battery as well so trigger can be pulled sear released. Arisaka is same way.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Doco, great info, thank you. As I plan to re-barrel, I suppose I would need to have the tenon milled to mate with the 1917 bolt?

Regarding the trigger, I installed a Timney for a 1917 and it's been working great. I assume that means it would work with the 1917 bolt.

If you're wondering why the heck I'm bothering with any of this, its just because I'm trying to make the best of the situation I have in front of me and make a hopefully usable and enjoyable gun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You’ll get it, taking into account what extractor you’ll need and making sure it interfaces with cartridge type is the ticket. Cartridge head support is another consideration. The M17 in normal configuration is already generous in that regard and controls headspace in the system to a certain extent.
    I have installed the Timney triggers on both the 17 and 14 in the past and the only difference in product description has been 5 or 6 round box, featherweight sportsman etc if memory serves me correctly.
    Mag box reconfiguration has a lot of work arounds available as options too.
    A lot of hand fitting was needed during early 14 manufacture between the makers.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Thanks. I see you responded to my post on the Enfield forum as well! I'm trying to picture all of your descriptions. I get the gist though some of the details elude me at the moment. I may just go ahead and buy a 1917 bolt so I can compare and contrast.

If I get you correctly, any adjustments will need to be made in the breech face but not the action, correct?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks. I see you responded to my post on the Enfield forum as well! I'm trying to picture all of your descriptions. I get the gist though some of the details elude me at the moment. I may just go ahead and buy a 1917 bolt so I can compare and contrast.

If I get you correctly, any adjustments will need to be made in the breech face but not the action, correct?

Thats right, your smith will have to accommodate for how much difference there is between the bolt face once closed, and for how much the extractor extends past it.
    The rear of the barrel will need to be clearanced in other words.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Hey, one thing that escaped me initially, if you have a star or "daisy" marked action /bolt, the breech end of the barrel will be milled in a sort of kidney shaped arrangement for additional length of the left bolt lug! (P14)
    You can identify an asterisk or Daisy patterned bolt/breech by a very slight additional milling going from about 6 o'clock -clockwise to about 1. It will look like a very shallow depression opposite the extractor cut.

The improvement came later on during rebuild "Weedon Upgrade" process and was put into place to aid feeding the rimmed 303 cartridge for war preparedness in 38 or something like that. With a M17 bolt, there should be no interference except the extractor cut discussed earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom