• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmayaa

Apr 3, 2013
    Hagerstown,MD
    I have been watching over the past few years the number of MD citizens going through ALL the requirements to be able to legally carry.
    Several of the "businesses" that are offering these classes are running a lot of people through at (at least to me) a sizable sum of $$$ Not to mention what MD charges and puts them through.
    Just out of curiosity does anyone have any idea what the percentage of citizens that take ALL required classes & aggravation that MD puts them through actually get their Maryland State Wear and Carry Permit?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Probably 90+%, but its misleading. At some point someone will tell you, you dont have G&S and you will not go through "all" the aggravation. So, the people who get permits a re a self-selected bunch of people.

The correct statistic is that ~20,000 marylanders have permits, most LEO and the like. Compare that to PA and Virginia where its about 20x that number even adjusted for population.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    ... does anyone have any idea what the percentage of citizens that take ALL required classes & aggravation that MD puts them through actually get their permit to carry?

It would probably be hard to get a true number from MSP (about the denial rate, especially stats that reflect eventual overturns by the HPRB), but I suspect the percentage is pretty high. While there are some instructors who don't do enough to vet prospective students and their chances of getting a permit, I think most will talk people out of that 16 hour class if there's plainly no chance of passing G&S muster as it's currently playing out.

So: most applicants get the permit, but there are very few applicants in the first place, because they self-select for only those most likely to get it done. No doubt a lot of people who would be able to get the permit are scared off the process, which is just what it appears to be designed to do.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The correct statistic is that ~20,000 marylanders have permits, most LEO and the like. Compare that to PA and Virginia where its about 20x that number even adjusted for population.

In most Shall Issue states (real America,) somewhere around 3-5% of the population have permits. Latest number I read somewhere is about 17.5 million nationwide. Some states are higher, I know that in PA there are over 1.2 million active licenses, closer to 10% of the population. Maryland with about 6 million should have 200-300 thousand, or at least an order of magnitude greater than the infringers will allow.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    It would probably be hard to get a true number from MSP (about the denial rate, especially stats that reflect eventual overturns by the HPRB), but I suspect the percentage is pretty high. While there are some instructors who don't do enough to vet prospective students and their chances of getting a permit, I think most will talk people out of that 16 hour class if there's plainly no chance of passing G&S muster as it's currently playing out.

So: most applicants get the permit, but there are very few applicants in the first place, because they self-select for only those most likely to get it done. No doubt a lot of people who would be able to get the permit are scared off the process, which is just what it appears to be designed to do.

..and a few that will try spinning any BS hope, and it's their duty to apply.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    and many, like me, who receive the MD Permit its restricted to only while "working" and to/from said business

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

yes it isn't just LEO, even non LEO, but leo related as in corrections system guards etc.

On top of that if you look at NYC where carry licencees were made public, guys who owned or managed bodegas, (NY's kind of 7-11), that might be open late and who criminals might be expected think are carrying cash ,were not getting them but very wealthy persons, campaign contributors, and relatives of ranking LEOs were who got them.

I would bet Non Leo, non corrections related Md vs Virginia is closer to 30:1 or 40:1

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    In most Shall Issue states (real America,) somewhere around 3-5% of the population have permits. Latest number I read somewhere is about 17.5 million nationwide. Some states are higher, I know that in PA there are over 1.2 million active licenses, closer to 10% of the population. Maryland with about 6 million should have 200-300 thousand, or at least an order of magnitude greater than the infringers will allow.

If we could "like" posts on this forum, you would get a two :thumbsup: for this.

I am one of countless Marylanders who know it is FUTILE to apply, so I didn't. I am not going to waste my time/money/effort on a lost cause in order only to drive down the statistics that the state uses to brag about how nearly all applicants get approved, and reach the false conclusion that it simply must not be a problem to get a permit in Maryland.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    They issue a permit for G&S then put restrictions on the permit for public safety . What kind of BS is that , I meet the requirements and you give me a permit then you say you don't trust me >>>SMH

ARinPG

Jan 12, 2016
    yes it isn't just LEO, even non LEO, but leo related as in corrections system guards etc.

On top of that if you look at NYC where carry licencees were made public, guys who owned or managed bodegas, (NY's kind of 7-11), that might be open late and who criminals might be expected think are carrying cash ,were not getting them but very wealthy persons, campaign contributors, and relatives of ranking LEOs were who got them.

I would bet Non Leo, non corrections related Md vs Virginia is closer to 30:1 or 40:1

There was news story about NYC and how rich where paying cops to grease the wheels and get a carry permit. Funny how that works

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    There was news story about NYC and how rich where paying cops to grease the wheels and get a carry permit. Funny how that works
    The one about Trump calling in favors for him and the boys to get permits? It gets very tedious around here trying to balance between shitting on the cops who made this happen and still turning a constant blind eye to the President's flip/flop ********....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/nyregion/trump-cohen-gun-license.amp.html

We could talk national reciprocity that was never properly pushed for, but,.. that's another thread I suppose.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Why WOULDN’T he do exactly what the NYPD has required of every other rich/connected person in that city in order to carry? The problem isn’t his willingness to use his juice to get a permit, it’s the city’s eagerness to create and sustain a situation that requires that juice in the first place.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Why WOULDN’T he do exactly what the NYPD has required of every other rich/connected person in that city in order to carry? The problem isn’t his willingness to use his juice to get a permit, it’s the city’s eagerness to create and sustain a situation that requires that juice in the first place.

So, the problem isn't his willingness to juice....?

Classic. Sounds exactly like someone who will look out for the best interests of the common American who is being told they're a criminal if they choose to carry.

We get what we deserve I suppose.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We get what we deserve I suppose.

Who’s “we?” The people of NYC who have propped up that local system for decades? Yes, THEY have what they deserve. Just like Maryland does, for voting by huge margins to sustain the political culture (and its byproducts, like may-issue) in this state. Does that mean that people (like business owners in Maryland) shouldn’t get that permit anyway, if they have the means?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    "We" are the American people, the ones represented by Congress and our ever-embarrassing President.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom