• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Haven't kept up on AR-10s . I know there are basically two patterns of them , with limited parts interchangeably . I'll be back inquiring on that topic a little ways down the road .

But more imeadately , do both types use the same magazines ?

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Most of the "AR10"s are based on the original Stoner mag design. Since there is no mil spec/TDP for an AR10, there are variations in parts between manufacturers. So even if you have the "right type" of mag, it may not work perfectly in that particular AR10 model. Ex: a DPMS mag works, but a Magpul might be a tight fit.

To add to the mag confusion fun, Armalite has 2 series based on the mags used. The A series and the B series of AR10s. This video explains the difference:

https://binged.it/2GjlCVI

And Rock River had the LAR-8, which took FAL mags.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So would I have to wait to eventually get the rifle first , or is it wise to start stockpiling PMags now ( presuming the H&K is not a candidate for the rifle ) ?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Haven't kept up on AR-10s . I know there are basically two patterns of them , with limited parts interchangeably . I'll be back inquiring on that topic a little ways down the road .

But more imeadately , do both types use the same magazines ?

From 2015:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=170153&highlight=AR-308

On magazines (found this in a article, on-line):

Magazines
    There are primarily two magazines styles for the .308 rifles, the original Armalite-Fairchild magazines used in the original AR-10s, then picked up by the KAC SR-25 (henceforth called the SR-25 Type) and the Modern Armalite AR-10 type which is a modified M-14 magazine. It should be pointed out RRA (and formerly Bushmaster) make rifles that use FAL magazines, and CMMG has a lower which uses G3 magazines.

Armalite AR-10 type (used by Armalite, Noveske, Eagle Arms, Georgia Precision; capacities: 5, 10, 20, 25)

SR-25 Type (used by DPMS, KAC, LaRue, POF, LWRC, JP Rifles, 1950s Armalites, Remington, Fulton-Armory; capacities: 4, 10, 19, 20)

FAL Magazines (Metric or Inch pattern; used by Bushmaster, RRA; capacities: 5, 10, 20, 30)

G3 Magazines (CMMG .308 Lower)

Magazine Manufacturers

C-Products (SR-25 type; 19 rounds)

Armalite (Armalite Type; 5, 10, 20, 25 rounds)

Magpul (SR-25 Type 10, 20, 25 rounds)

POF (SR-25 Type; 25 round)

I've found that the MagPul magazines have been available at the show in Chantilly, and at Green Top, in VA.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It helps , in that I now know enough to not start aquiring magazines until have the rifle in hand .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    It helps , in that I now know enough to not start aquiring magazines until have the rifle in hand .

:lol:

I wound up with a DPMS and I'm kinda ashamed to say it........ except for mounting the scope, it's not been out of the safe.
    (I've not had time or opportunity to fire a round out of anything, for quite a while. Have given some thought to selling everything, safes and contents, but then snapped back to reality!)

I did pick up some MagPul magazines from Chantilly. $20 each, IF memory serves me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :lol:

I wound up with a DPMS and I'm kinda ashamed to say it........ except for mounting the scope, it's not been out of the safe.
    (I've not had time or opportunity to fire a round out of anything, for quite a while. Have given some thought to selling everything, safes and contents, but then snapped back to reality!)

I did pick up some MagPul magazines from Chantilly. $20 each, IF memory serves me.

Depends on how paranoid you are or how sure you are of a specific direction. In my case I got an Aero M5 lower a year or so ago. Been collecting dust. I do finally have the parts to build it, but my wife is pissed with the size of my collection right now. So it is going to stay in boxes and baggies for at least another year or two.

I made sure I had a few magazines on hand for when I do finally build it.

If money were no object I’d go out and buy 2-4 mags for every single gun I think I might want to own some day. But alas I am not nearly that rich.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    DPMS /SR25 compatible is probably the most popular pattern, and the way to go if you are in the market. There is no "mil-spec" standard, but as AR10s get more popular, especially with 6.5 creed taking off, it's probably the one that will win out. Might be awhile before the DPMS vs Armalite receiver war is settled, but seems most that ran proprietary or Armalite pattern mags are revising to take SR25 pattern.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have an older AR-10(T) which uses modified M-14 magazines...you can buy the mags direct from Armalite or get the conversion kit and modify the magazines yourself. My newer AR-10 uses Magpul which are widely available...and cheaper.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I have an older AR-10(T) which uses modified M-14 magazines...you can buy the mags direct from Armalite or get the conversion kit and modify the magazines yourself. My newer AR-10 uses Magpul which are widely available...and cheaper.

....for $90 each (at least that's what it was 5-6 years ago)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    No...genuine Armalite mags round $25-$30 the last I saw them at a gun show. I have enough from some years back so I'm good to go. Two bad Magpul wasn't around when I first bought the rifle and their mags would work...it would simplify a lot of things.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    No...genuine Armalite mags round $25-$30 the last I saw them at a gun show. I have enough from some years back so I'm good to go. Two bad Magpul wasn't around when I first bought the rifle and their mags would work...it would simplify a lot of things.

I've never seen one for less than double that. I did buy some "Armalite" style mags at a gun show for about $30, but they were aftermarket, and didn't fit at all.

I see now that a 25 round Gen II mag from Armalite.com is $43, so maybe they have come down in price since the Gen 1's. Armalite's website wasn't up yesterday, so I couldn't check. Not that I can buy one from their website anyway....thanks Maryland! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom