Winchester Super X Model 1 bolt buffer - HELP!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I bought this shotgun recently...a little beat up and a little rust here and there. But as happens with this shotgun, the bolt buffer is all busted up so the shotgun won't function. Is there anyone around with some expertise in getting a bolt buffer installed? I have one from Wrights, along with an O ring, but I didn't want to try to do it completey on my own.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    I have several X1s and always spare buffers. You’ll disassemble, barrel off, pull the bolt handle, pull the trigger group. Remove the bolt. I remove the buttstock to get the old buffer bits out. Put the stock back on, I put a little dish soap (lube) on the buffer tip. Put it in place with the cutout toward the bottom, rest the butt on carpet, use a bigger dowel rod/ piece of broom stick in thru the barrel opening and whack to seat the buffer. I put the mag cap on before I whack, had the mag spring and retainer launch once from the jolt. Then reassemble bolt in receiver, etc. Hit me up if you need more details

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I wasn't able to get the bolt out. I couldn't get the rod past the spring loaded piece that receives the rod. And I was having lots of trouble removing the barrel. My guess is that it had not been disassembled in a very long time.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I too own several SX-1's. Some time ago I had several more than I do now. Best dam competition autoloader ever made by anyone.

The previous post is spot on, but he makes it sound harder than it is. If the buffer is gone likely no need to pull the stock, but won't hurt anything to do so.

It is at most a 10 minute job and after you have done it a time or 3 a five minute job tops.

One bit of caution. The bolt buffer is in the gun for a reason. Shooting the gun without one is a very unwise thing to do. Other wise the SX-1 is bullet proof. bob

I was posting when the OP reposted. Take a flat blade screwdriver and push in the recoil rod while pulling up on the bolt tail with something shaped like a hook. A big paper clip bent will do the job. You have to get the tail past the rod end then it will come out easily. Before doing that let the bolt slam shut on the barrel without the spring cap on. Might take a few attempts but the barrel will start to come out of the frame. Usually only take one cycle to get the barrel started on its way out. bob
    One more. I'm in Easton. Let me know if I can be of help. bob

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Hey Bob. Thanks for the input. I don't mean to be presumptuous but would you consider letting me drive down to Easton (from Queenstown) so that you could tutor me in the process to make sure I do it right? Let me know if that would work and then we can set up a time that is convenient for you.

Thanks!

Peter

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Thanks for the update on the paper clip, I wasn’t sure how much to explain. I’ve had to pull the stock on 3-4 SX’s because that ‘nipple’ remnant blocked the new buffer from seating.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Well, well, well. Surprised myself. All you "handy" kinda guys laugh at guys like me who figure I need to call somebody to change a light bulb. Well, almost that bad. But yesterday and today I replaced the bolt buffer myself. After getting the bolt out (thanks for the idea Bob), the only other difficulty came in driving to the hardware store to get a dowel to mash the new buffer into place. With the right "tool", that was surprisingly easy. Then re-assembly too all of five minutes. I guess I'll find out later this week if I put it back together propertly.

Thanks to all for your help and ideas!

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    Congratulations! See, it was not that difficult and now you have the satisfaction of accomplishing a new task.

The new bolt buffer should last the life of the gun. The originals were not so. They will disappear over time even if the gun is never shot. Modern materials I guess.

Every SX-1 I've ever been involved with wants to be shot wet. Up side of that is how easy they are to keep clean when shot wet. Break-free CLP is my go to on the gas spring tube and the slide on same that activates the bolt. Keep them wet with CLP and wipe off with a paper towel and re-apply after each outing. Pull the bolt every once in a while and wipe down bolt and receiver innards and again apply CLP, but not as generously as you will on the gas tube.

Your SX-1 should last several lifetimes, unless of course someone decides to confiscate and melt it down. Then all bets are off. Again congratulations! bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom