• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So for an initial DC permit, an MD renewal class plus DC law is all that is needed as long as the MD renewal class was less than a year old?

No. DC requires 16 hours of training for the initial permit so an 8 hour MD renewal would not qualify. You will still need the DC law class and shoot the DC course of fire which is 50 rds vs 25 for MD.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

No problem. The good news is that for renewal DC only requires 4 hours plus the course of fire. If you can time your MD renewal training you at least won't have to pay for that portion again.

I wasn't able to on my last renewal but went through my MD 8 hour renewal training last month so will be able to use that for my DC renewal this November. Now the challenge will be to find a DC certified trainer who will just do the course of fire.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't see where in the law where the instructor has to be DC certified .

§
    7–2509.02. Application requirements.
    (a) A person who submits an application pursuant to § 22-4506 shall certify and demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Chief that he or she:

(1) Is at least 21 years of age;

(2) Meets all of the requirements for a person registering a firearm pursuant to this unit, and has obtained a registration certificate for the pistol that the person is applying to carry concealed;

(3)(A) Does not currently suffer from a mental illness or condition that creates a substantial risk that he or she is a danger to himself or herself or others; or

(B) If he or she has suffered in the previous 5 years from a mental illness or condition that created a substantial risk that he or she was a danger to himself or herself or others, no longer suffers from a mental illness or condition that creates a substantial risk that he or she is a danger to himself or herself or others;

(4) Has completed a firearms training course or combination of courses, conducted by an instructor (or instructors) certified by the Chief, which includes at least 16 hours of training, and covers the following:

(A) Firearm safety;

(B) Firearm nomenclature;

(C) Basic principles of marksmanship;

(D) Care, cleaning, maintenance, loading, unloading, and storage of pistols;

(E) Situational awareness, conflict management, and use of deadly force;

(F) Selection of pistols and ammunition for defensive purposes; and

(G) All applicable District and federal firearms laws, including the requirements of this unit, Chapter 45 of Title 22 [§ 22-4501 et seq.], and District law pertaining to self-defense;

(5) Has completed at least 2 hours of range training, conducted by an instructor certified by the Chief, including shooting a qualification course of 50 rounds of ammunition from a maximum distance of 15 yards (45 feet); and

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    (c) An applicant may be exempt from some or all of the requirements of subsection (a)(4) and (a)(5) of this section if the applicant has submitted evidence that he or she has received firearms training in the United States military or has otherwise completed firearms training conducted by a firearms instructor that, as determined by the Chief, is equal to or greater than that required under subsection (a)(4) and (a)(5) of this section.

(d) An applicant for a license may satisfy any component of the requirements of subsection (a)(4) and (a)(5) of this section by demonstrating to the satisfaction of the Chief that the applicant has met that particular component as part of a successful application to carry a concealed pistol issued by the lawful authorities of any state or subdivision of the United States.

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2509.02.html

Laws are current to 05/23/2019

Last edited:

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I just checked the application form since I now work in DC and on the form there is no exemption for Military firearms qualification and training. Note, I only say this because in dealing with govies (former one here so no offence to anyone) if it's not on the form, it's not allowed. It does have some vague wording as to an exemption with supporting documentation, but that's it. I may have missed it in the thread and if so, forgive me. But, where can one get the "mandatory" class on DC CCW laws? TIA!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Absent already having a permit, I can’t see how one could do that without instantly being in legal hot water.

Oh you used to have to bring in the pistol, 2008 to about 2012 or so. There is a regulation by MPD allowing you if you can show you are in process of getting it registered.
    But you no longer have to bring it in.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I just checked the application form since I now work in DC and on the form there is no exemption for Military firearms qualification and training. Note, I only say this because in dealing with govies (former one here so no offence to anyone) if it's not on the form, it's not allowed. It does have some vague wording as to an exemption with supporting documentation, but that's it. I may have missed it in the thread and if so, forgive me. But, where can one get the "mandatory" class on DC CCW laws? TIA!

Right there on the MPD carry licence webpage are 70 different instructors, their phone numbers and often their websites.

The exemption on part of the training looks vague because there is a large variety of training people may have and if MPD doe n ot already have that training you listed they do have to make a determination as to validity and scope of the training.
    It needs to be within past two years, and even if you have training other than MPD certified instructors you will need to take the law module and the live fire module from a DC instuctor (just as you will have to in two years take the equivalent live fire and law module renewal course)

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Now the challenge will be to find a DC certified trainer who will just do the course of fire.

There are at least 50 who do. I just did my renewal course, most instructors will just lump people with qualifying partial existing training and renewal together. The prices I waas quoted for that ran $150 to $75 (compared to $200 to $350 range quoted for full initial training). I used the instructor who charged $75. In my "class" one other guy was doing DC renewal. One guy and one gal were doing their DC partial (first time application but with qualified and timely prior training) and a dozen were law enforcement personnel. A lot of these guys will just put you in their LEO fire course for renewal or existing partial. Those of us doing non-leo dc carry shot 50 instead of 100 rounds the leo were doing, and you are not mandatory scored on the target. The instructor indicated we just had to demonstrate competence.

Back when I did my initial course two years ago there were only about 10 mpd instructors, not the 70 we have today. so prices were higher. I also went with a premium instructor at that time since I wanted the best training in the law aspect. For renewal I shopped on price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom