• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I did and they were told that's what I did, and they did not object. Obviously until it's registered, you can not use it or transport it out of your house. It's unclear how long you have to go down there and register it after taking possession. I went the next day to be safe.

I'm not a C&R, but with my first gun brought into DC back in 2008 you had to bring it in to register. This meant I drove it into DC on a Friday night, had it in my car driving from one bad jurisdiction to the wort one (and driving through a third bad one), not technically protected under FOPA, and kept it home, and then brought it down to MPD on that Monday, including though the security whihc was not well versed on what to do and shouted "gun," in response to me quietly leaning toward the cop at security and said I was transporting a secured unloaded firearm per MPD instructions.

I felt somewhat protected since I had already taken the safety course, the law course, and had an email exchange with MPD which they had told me, in writing, I had four days, although the code says 48 hours:
    (a) An application for a registration certificate shall be filed (and a registration certificate issued) prior to taking possession of a firearm from a licensed dealer or from any person or organization holding a registration certificate therefor. In all other cases, an application for registration shall be filed immediately after a firearm is brought into the District. It shall be deemed compliance with the preceding sentence if such person personally communicates with the Metropolitan Police Department (as determined by the Chief to be sufficient) and provides such information as may be demanded; provided, that such person files an application for a registration certificate within 48 hours after such communication.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Not OP, but I have a DC C&R. Acting as your own FFL saves so much time, money, and aggravation.

The training and background procedures have changed since I completed mine, so I will not comment on that process. After you satisfy those requirements, C&R registration is straightforward.

To register a C&R firearm here is the process as (I understand):
    1. Order firearm online
    2. Wait for the firearm to arrive at your door
    3. Fill out Form PD-219. Do not fill out seller portion.
    4. Bring the PD-219 to registration
    5. C&R Licence
    6. Pay $13
    7. Done

The only problem I have had was attempting to register a Yugo Tokarev. The pistol is not specifically on the C&R list, so DC said "no go" because I could not prove to their satisfaction that it was eligible.

The List: https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download

Curious on the Tokarev pistol. How did they determine that you couldn’t prove that it was a C&R? Because they still make / have made them in < the last 50 years? There are a ton of C&Rs not explicitly on the ATF list. Also, what did you do? Sell it, or transfer it to an 01 (i.e. Sykes, since it is a handgun), then have Sykes transfer it back minus $125 bucks out of your wallet?

Not shocked, but when you think about it, their protest is abysmally silly. The seller put their ass on the line attesting it was a C&R transferring it to you. The ATF is happy about your background for your 03, so a 4473 run by an 01 is redundant. And beyond that MPD runs their own check every time you register a new firearm.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even in MD we don't have to register C&R with MSP. It's outside MD's jurisdiction, merely a transaction between two FFL licensees - although as an FFL03 holder I can purchase an appropriate firearm from a seller outside MD even if the seller is not licensed.

How is DC different?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Curious on the Tokarev pistol. How did they determine that you couldn’t prove that it was a C&R? Because they still make / have made them in < the last 50 years? There are a ton of C&Rs not explicitly on the ATF list. Also, what did you do? Sell it, or transfer it to an 01 (i.e. Sykes, since it is a handgun), then have Sykes transfer it back minus $125 bucks out of your wallet?

Not shocked, but when you think about it, their protest is abysmally silly. The seller put their ass on the line attesting it was a C&R transferring it to you. The ATF is happy about your background for your 03, so a 4473 run by an 01 is redundant. And beyond that MPD runs their own check every time you register a new firearm.

The Yugo M57 Tokarev is not specifically listed in the ATF C&R book. The pistol IIRC does not have a manufacture date either so I could not easily prove it by age. There are ways to tell based on the crest/serial number, but I am 100% sure DC would not believe some chart I found on a gun forum as proof.

I contacted ATF to clarify how it is sold as C&R, yet neither listed nor provable by date. They basically said it is my problem to sort out with D.C.. It was not worth it to pay the transfer through Sykes. I transferred it to my step-father who is also an FFL03 and lives out of state.

The gun registration folks are not typically knowledgeable about firearms so the burden of proof is on the registrant. I had a similar problem registering a Walther P38 because it has the AC manufacturer code rather than "Walther" printed on the slide. It was a circular conversation of me trying to prove AC is the manufacture code for WWII Walthers and the registration guy not understanding. Eventually the registration guy found the import mark "RGUNS" and he listed that as the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom