MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    interesting...........

no word from the law "makers" about the refusal of the law "enforcers" to follow their orders.

Could the head of the MSP be fired and possibly be brought to trial for refusal to follow orders and being an accomplice in a defined crime?

Does this sound like civil disobedience of the political law makers?

Omalley is silent - maybe he's on vacation and has "no comment"

Attachments

• mom.jpg
      mom.jpg
      20.6 KB · Views: 180

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Not near pc... What is the Max punishment for someone who breaks that part of the law?

Could MSP not enforce now then come back in a year and say, oops! You needed an HQL sir. And you,FFL, you illegally transferred a handgun.

Hmm.

Parrot

Jul 16, 2013
    Certainly did. I also testified in Annapolis, and in PG county, in multiple local town hall meetings the county. What is your point? How does going to a rally change the fact that the MSPs job is to enforce Maryland State law, and they just decided that they would wake up this morning and not do that.

Local Sheriff = elected by citizens to represent them local police matters
    MSP Brass= appointed by the Govenor to represent the State in law enforcement matters

Pretty simple. And, really screwed up.

Great! Some are just now getting into the fight. So, you'll understand that the local law enforcement are also being selective of the laws they enforce as they loudly stated at the rallies. That was the point. Clear now? :D

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I would like to think there was some back door plea bargaining between the plaintiffs of the upcoming lawsuit and the different defendant entities that has helped stir this pot.

Watching the SB-281 legislature and watching the COMAR review, it's pretty obvious the lackies had no idea what was coming. Now that it's down to crunch time they are scrambling and I expect a couple more weird messages in the next few weeks.

This is good, should help sink the whole rotten works in court.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Not near pc... What is the Max punishment for someone who breaks that part of the law?

Could MSP not enforce now then come back in a year and say, oops! You needed an HQL sir. And you,FFL, you illegally transferred a handgun.

Hmm.

Not sure of the penalty, but if it's a misdemeanor, then they only have a year and day before the statute of limitations runs out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Well, the nice thing about being tapped out because of previous spending this year I can sit back and watch how this unfolds.

I can't wait for the lawsuits to start and 10/1 to get here so I can apply for my HQL. Because I want to be "legal":innocent0 when I buy my next handgun.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    If you think the legislature is the answer, then brother you need some sleep. :lol:

As witnessed by 100+ of us on Monday. Tell them what's wrong, vote it in anyway!! Laws be damned!! We're Maryland, we can do whatever we want. Not so sure the Social Security Admin. thinks that way. Especially after my conversation with someone yesterday.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Well, the nice thing about being tapped out because of previous spending this year I can sit back and watch how this unfolds.

I can't wait for the lawsuits to start and 10/1 to get here so I can apply for my HQL. Because I want to be "legal":innocent0 when I buy my next handgun.

Me too, and luckily the lawsuit should only last two weeks!

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I have to disagree with her. If the intent of the law were as she says, then the General Assembly would have used language similar to the written exception that was made for receiving banned assault long guns (ALGs) after Oct 1.

Their making the written exception for ALGs, shows that the law did not intend to allow receiving a handgun after Oct 1 with a HQL or other written exception.

There was never any intent to exempt purchases of handguns made before October 1 but received after September 30. See this thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=123920.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Hmm.

Ok, Brian. Nice homework assignment... :)

Here's the deal.

They inserted the HQL requirements into section 5-117 as 5-117.1 via SB281.

Then they amended 5-118 via SB281 which enumerates what goes on the app using this edit for the HQL:

(4) A COPY OF THE APPLICANT’S HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE.

Here's the penalty statement for 5-118:

(c) Each firearm application shall contain the following statement: "Any false information supplied or statement made in this application is a crime which may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 3 years, or a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.".

So, yes, this is serious. A max penalty of 3 years is game over for firearm ownership.

Why do you think some of us are squawking ?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

Here's the deal.

Then they amended 5-118 via SB281 which enumerates what goes on the app using this edit for the HQL:

(c) Each firearm application shall contain the following statement: "Any false information supplied or statement made in this application is a crime which may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 3 years, or a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.".

So this is serious.

:D in other words.... Loss of 2A rights for the rest of your life if they ever change course and charge you. Tread lightly folks.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

Here's the deal.

So this is serious.
    Yup - complete revocation of 2A rights of any individual found guilty of a charge based on this section (potential max penalty of over 2 years for any state-level misdemeanor).

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie

Here's the deal.

So, yes, this is serious. A max penalty of 3 years is game over for firearm ownership.

Why do you think some of us are squawking ?

There aren't any laws that the Shops selling these handguns would be breaking/ able to be held accountable for - only us the transferee, if somebody decides that the MSP had no authority to take the position they have, and began prosecuting people per the letter of the law.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    There aren't any laws that the Shops selling these handguns would be breaking/ able to be held accountable for - only us the transferee, if somebody decides that the MSP had no authority to take the position they have, and began prosecuting people per the letter of the law.

The FFL must follow ALL laws State and Federal, so they could loose their FFL? Just because MSP says we will not enforce, does not mean they are not in violation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to previous discussions 281 has severability according to the legislative rules making manual someone posted. It is not all or nothing as I understand it.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    Well, what the mess. If MSP can add live fire to the HQL, which is making law, perhaps they can waive requirments and inversely breaking law. At least that seems to be their position.

I think part of this is politics, part is practical mixed with a HEAVY helping of WTF are we doing.

Their master plan is collapsing like a house of cards is spectacular fashion. Heads are gonna roll and lawsuits will not go well for the tyrants. They will reap what they have sown.

Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    The FFL must follow ALL laws State and Federal, so they could loose their FFL? Just because MSP says we will not enforce, does not mean they are not in violation.

It was my understanding that the agency that the FFLs report to is the MSP, so it is unlikely that they will come back at the FFL unless made to. Would the Federal ATF, or a federal authority? Interesting question.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

Also doesn't stop them from enforcing LATER. Everyone has heard about their quasi forced registration of non regulated rifles lately.

Read the release carefully. They say they aren't enforcing the law. They aren't disagreeing with the AG opinion, just they they will not enforce it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom