• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I think for you from what we've briefly spoke on here its definitely worth talking business if the pay is guaranteed. I'm always up for talking business but some things have to make sense to do it.

Better pay, type of work/hours, longer drive, health insurance, chances of not working, etc. etc.

Hmm, I was half joking but I will be honest, this has me curious.

TD

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    So if my calculations are correct that's a little over 61k a year base pay and over 87k as a Lt. Not counting the bonuses etc. (hourly rate x 40 hours x 52 weeks)

That's more than I make as a teacher with 19 years experience and a masters degree!!

TD

Otoh you are not first in line if some ISIS wannabe decides to attack the ' office of surface mining' or whatever other obscure agency you are tasked to protect.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I hope you guys like standing for 12 hours too, I work in the second district and I've had the opportunity to chat with a lot of the state department security guys, and man do they hate working there (and at the Passport building). The contract is a strict one, and that leave very little room for error. There's a pretty high turnover rate. Yeah the money sounds great from the outside, but I have seen guys leave there voluntarily for a pay cut.....

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    So if my calculations are correct that's a little over 61k a year base pay and over 87k as a Lt. Not counting the bonuses etc. (hourly rate x 40 hours x 52 weeks)

That's more than I make as a teacher with 19 years experience and a masters degree!!

TD

Yeah, I was looking at that too. Good pay for what it is considering what other fields are paying right now.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I hope you guys like standing for 12 hours too, I work in the second district and I've had the opportunity to chat with a lot of the state department security guys, and man do they hate working there (and at the Passport building). The contract is a strict one, and that leave very little room for error. There's a pretty high turnover rate. Yeah the money sounds great from the outside, but I have seen guys leave there voluntarily for a pay cut.....

Right, a friend of mine did armed security as a part time gig for another company in another state. His work locations switched with manpower/contracts, everything from sitting in a car with a blinking yellow beacon light gawking at an empty parking lot to standing in a hotel, probably starring at the wall.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Right, a friend of mine did armed security as a part time gig for another company in another state. His work locations switched with manpower/contracts, everything from sitting in a car with a blinking yellow beacon light gawking at an empty parking lot to standing in a hotel, probably starring at the wall.

That's most likely NOT the case with this contract. These Federal gov't office building gigs are pretty high profile. These guys aren't sitting in cars out in some empty parking lot. Entry way x-ray and magnetometer scanning is probably the high light of the job there. Probably even get a little something for uniform dry cleaning. Hopefully you won't see mustard stains on yesterday's un-ironed shirt.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Well, obviously there a big difference from the original post and my story :D

I think with my friends background and the company he worked for it was an initial good job to work night hours and make money. I guess the infinite boredom of his particulars was too much, I have no clue.

Jblanch

Jun 11, 2013
    what kind of physical requirements are required for testing? and what are the height and weight standards? i recently got out of the military due to me no longer meeting the health requirements (broke back due to IED in Afghanistan.) I am in pretty good shape and can still hold my own when it comes to PT. Just curious of the standards.

javajoy

May 6, 2008
    Severna Park MD
    what kind of physical requirements are required for testing? and what are the height and weight standards? i recently got out of the military due to me no longer meeting the health requirements (broke back due to IED in Afghanistan.) I am in pretty good shape and can still hold my own when it comes to PT. Just curious of the standards.
    You will need to be able to stand for 12 hours, you'll need normal hearing, normal color perception, correctable vision 20/20. Be able to respond to any type of situation in an armed capacity.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know what the job is. I worked their at US Dept of State from 1990 to 1993 in the uniformed division armed.You will deal with a lot public and when their is a diplomatic function going on you have to be on your toes. Not only do you work at Main State but also you will provide security at State Dept Annexes as well. Their is one in Beltsville, MD, and a few that scattered thru out NOVA as well. These annexes require that you have your TS clearance as well. Unless they have changed things you can not take home your badge,can not carry off duty,can not even carry on duty unless you are on State Dept grounds in DC and MD, and a lot of other tight rules as well. You also will be working with DSS (Diplomatic Security Service) a lot as well. I know what goes on their because I worked their myself until I left because I moved to the Boston area.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    Inter-Con Security Systems INC.
    We are currently accepting applications for the FT position of Uniform Protection Officer position (Department of State). To be able to enter the application process, you must meet or exceed one of the following minimum requirements:
    1. Possess a Bachelors Degree from a Regional accredited school of learning and have the knowledge, skills, and abilities for employment as an armed UPO; OR,
    2. Possess an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice (or 60 credit hours with 27 hours in core curriculum) from an accredited school and have been employed in the field of criminal justice during the past year and have the knowledge, skills, and abilities for employment as an armed UPO; OR,
    3. Be a graduate of a certified federal, state, or local law enforcement training academy, a military police school (includes National Guard or Reserves), or the US Marine Corps’ Marine Security Guard School; OR,
    4. Have a minimum of three (3) years of verifiable armed security experience within the most recent four (4) years similar to the requirements of a UPO; OR,
    5. Possess a minimum of three (3) years of active duty military experience (not a drilling reservist), having held the rank of E-4 or higher upon Honorable Discharge that can be verified by a DD 214.

Interested applicants must also meet Height/Weight requirements (which is ascertained at time of initial interview) and must attest that they believe they are able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance.
    Interested candidates who meet one or more of the requirements listed in 1 – 5 above must first complete the online application at:

https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ICSSECURITY&cws=1&rid=640
    Are they still hiring?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Think if it would be better than teaching 25 kindergarten kids at a time? Lol
    I would go back into Corrections before I would teach kindergarten. Those little kids are super stressful. Every time I walk into my daughter's classroom I am amazed the teachers haven't lost their minds yet.
    I'd rather try herding cats. LOL
    I'd rather herd feral cats with rabies while nude than teach kindergarten, LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom