• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DENWA

May 5, 2008
    All my friends (count them on one hand)keep asking why we haven't bugged out yet.

We have 50 secluded acres up in the mountains of WV with everything we need to hunker down for a long time.

My reasons are simple.

1. I'm not scared yet.
    2. The lights are on and water is flowing.
    3. If we were to get sick or hurt out there the closest hospital is more than an hour away
    4. Grocery stores are still open and doing a fair job
    5. Trying to keep the kids lives normal.

Did I miss anything?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The hospital there, even if an hour away, may have the capacity to help you. I'm not so sure the ones in the city will be able to, something to include in your thought process.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you have the time available to do it, why not? I am on 50 acres up in pretty secluded NE PA. I feel MUCH better not being around any city centers for awhile. I'm going on 2 weeks without being anywhere near another human, other than the mailman dropping a package on the porch. IT's at this point where I would have to turn any family or friends away to come up because I cannot vouch for their prophylaxis towards this whole thing. I am in my little amniotic sac and not coming out until pretty safe to do so.

This could also act as a practice run. Chance to use your utilities or whatever you have.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you have the time available to do it, why not? I am on 50 acres up in pretty secluded NE PA. I feel MUCH better not being around any city centers for awhile. I'm going on 2 weeks without being anywhere near another human, other than the mailman dropping a package on the porch. IT's at this point where I would have to turn any family or friends away to come up because I cannot vouch for their prophylaxis towards this whole thing. I am in my little amniotic sac and not coming out until pretty safe to do so.

This could also act as a practice run. Chance to use your utilities or whatever you have.

This is what I would be doing. Call it a vacation. Use it as an opportunity to test your plans. Prepare and take time to verify.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is what I would be doing. Call it a vacation. Use it as an opportunity to test your plans. Prepare and take time to verify.

The time to test out a new piece of gear or equipment is not during the time you would actually need it.
    I learned this lesson from years of long distance motorcycle endurance riding. No way I am hitting the road with say an auxiliary fuel tank without having used it on a test run. That goes with anything when sh*t matters.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The time to test out a new piece of gear or equipment is not during the time you would actually need it.
    I learned this lesson from years of long distance motorcycle endurance riding. No way I am hitting the road with say an auxiliary fuel tank without having used it on a test run. That goes with anything when sh*t matters.

I learned that in Scouts. So many times.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    How much would 50 acres in WV cost? With 3 hours of Maryland?

$1,000 an acre. max 1,500 if you need paved roads!

Bought 50 acres 10 years ago of abandoned cattle farm. Spent 2 years cleaning all the damn barb wire and scrap mettle but it been worth it.

Bought tractors, bulldozer, track loader, dump truck and a really big excavator. Built a 1 acre stocked spring fed pond next to the trout stream.

A few buried connex boxes later I'm waiting for the next trigger to move out there completely.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Think of the thousands of dollars people here spend in say, 2 years on ammo and guns, when today, instead of a few guns and ammo, they could have 5-10 acres somewhere.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    "West Virginia Governor Jim Justice said on Friday some people were coming to his state “to get away from a real big-time issue where they’re at.”

He said it was essential that anyone coming to his state, “especially those from New York,” go into quarantine for 14 days. It was not immediately clear how that was going to work, however."

Maybe they won't let you in.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Cheap land anywhere close won't be cheap for long, if it still is now.

People left the cities after 9/11 and I think a LOT more will leave them now once the reality of NYC settles in.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All my friends (count them on one hand)keep asking why we haven't bugged out yet.

We have 50 secluded acres up in the mountains of WV with everything we need to hunker down for a long time.

My reasons are simple.

1. I'm not scared yet.
    3. If we were to get sick or hurt out there the closest hospital is more than an hour away

Did I miss anything?

I could be missing something, but are you really socially distancing? I only ask, because my kids, wife and I would be about to murder each other if stuck in the city with limited ways of getting out without exposing ourselves. At least where we are, we’ve got 4.4 acres to run around on. Creek to play in, etc. my old townhouse neighborhood, I’d be going nuts. No way to let my kids play outside without them playing with all the other kids, etc.

I would LOVE to have 50 acres to rattle around on. Unless the house itself is more of a small cabin or something, it would probably be better for my kids having the extra space. Sure grocery stores are still up and running and likely will remain so. But the more you go out, the higher your odds, even taking precautions. I’d stock up and go shopping as rarely as absolutely possible.

I’ve gotta go out in a few days to pick up prescriptions for my wife and kids. Will get groceries then also. Hoping I won’t need to for 3 or 4 weeks after that trip. Pretty well stocked up on everything, but I’d like to stay that way. Maybe a chat with a neighbor from a safe distance.

Only other reason is an orthodontist appointment if our daughter’s opens again. She needs a palate expander and if she doesn’t get it in a few months she is likely to lose her incisors. Canines are coming in and cutting across the roots of those teeth. She was supposed to have gotten it this past week, but they closed down.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

My reasons are simple.

1. I'm not scared yet.

Did I miss anything?

While I don't necessarily think this emergency will get there (the subsequent economic collapse, should it materialize, may) but the problem with your logic is being ahead or behind the curve. By the time you think its time to go everyone else will have had the same idea and it will be chaos, as opposed to already being there and comfortable. Being there in advance gives you time to organize supplies and resources while also reestablishing bonds with the local population. I have my remote places, but in this situation shelter in place makes more sense as opposed to risking spreading to family and friends.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Despite my generally taking an opposite view, the Devil's Advocate reply to the OP's quiry is obvious :

By the time ( critical mass of bad s@!#) happens , it will be too late to escape . Your strategic exfiltration has to happen Before, or not at all .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom