• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Do those lowers not require an HQL? Dsgarms says you need an FFL to transfer.

yes, you need an FFL.

No, you dont need an HQL.

Yes, there is a 7 day wait for the lower. Yes, that is confusing and illogical to wait for a hunk of metal. Still, thats what it is.

call the your FFL.. some are not taking any more transfers.

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    I had held off as well as a matter of protest. I finally saw something I wanted badly enough to get and now I’m in the same boat as you. I applied on March 14 and as of yet, it remains untouched by the state police. I went the exempt route as I already had regulated firearms prior to 2013. Dammit, I knew I was going to regret waiting.

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    yes, you need an FFL.

Yes, there is a 7 day wait for the lower.

I don’t believe you don’t need an HQL to buy a Glock frame in MD. Buying a regulated firearm ==> need a license.

Could you give a link to read about it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don’t believe you don’t need an HQL to buy a Glock frame in MD. Buying a regulated firearm ==> need a license.

Could you give a link to read about it?

We are talking about a stripped AR lower in this case, not a glock frame.

And NO, and HQL is NOT required to purchase a stripped AR lower. YES, there is a 7 day wait, per MSP.

Welcome to the forums, perhaps you would like to go on over to the introductions subforum and introduce yourself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We are talking about a stripped AR lower in this case, not a glock frame.

And NO, and HQL is NOT required to purchase a stripped AR lower. YES, there is a 7 day wait, per MSP.

Welcome to the forums, perhaps you would like to go on over to the introductions subforum and introduce yourself.

Right. And generally you will need an HQL to buy a Glock frame. Most aren’t really virgin, so they won’t transfer as “other”. A handgun, whether it is a frame or full handgun needs an HQL.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I was told by MSP lic div that simmunitions CANNOT be used for live fire training.

TD

I spoke with a trooper last week about this very question. He told me that as long as the firearm issues a projectile that is fired by primer or powder, including Simunitions, it is OK. This should also include primer-powered wax or plastic bullets too. You can also fire the single shot technically required (ridiculous) into a clearing tube. When I suggested that this has no training value whatsoever, he sighed and said that the student only needs to experience the firearm going off. Seriously?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I spoke with a trooper last week about this very question. He told me that as long as the firearm issues a projectile that is fired by primer or powder, including Simunitions, it is OK. This should also include primer-powered wax or plastic bullets too. You can also fire the single shot technically required (ridiculous) into a clearing tube. When I suggested that this has no training value whatsoever, he sighed and said that the student only needs to experience the firearm going off. Seriously?

Correct. Providing the clearing tube is less than 15 feet deep/long and the end is designated as a target.

Get used to this fact: There is no intersection of logic and gun law in the state of Maryland.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Logic and Maryland are incompatible concepts. BTW, Colibri .22lr, which is primer-powered, are also kosher for the "training" requirement.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    yes, you need an FFL.

Yes, there is a 7 day wait for the lower. Yes, that is confusing and illogical to wait for a hunk of metal. Still, thats what it is.

call the your FFL.. some are not taking any more transfers.

Can a dealer chime in and verify this? I know it's not "required" but every single time I have bought a stripped lower they have demanded my HQL. All shops that are active on here. I never put up a fight because frankly I didn't care, but I hear this all the time but never have seen it with my own eyes or heard from a dealer direct that they allow the transfer without HQL present. All times mine were transferred as other.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Can a dealer chime in and verify this? I know it's not "required" but every single time I have bought a stripped lower they have demanded my HQL. All shops that are active on here. I never put up a fight because frankly I didn't care, but I hear this all the time but never have seen it with my own eyes or heard from a dealer direct that they allow the transfer without HQL present. All times mine were transferred as other.

When you start the application there is an option to check that it is a stripped lower instead of entering hql info. I have done it without an hql.

https://m.facebook.com/EngageArmamentLLC/photos/a.211456408913472/732695406789567/?type=3

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Correct. Providing the clearing tube is less than 15 feet deep/long and the end is designated as a target.

Get used to this fact: There is no intersection of logic and gun law in the state of Maryland.

No such requirement since there are several firearms instructors that use industry standard clearing tubes for their HQL training without issue.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You know the live fire requires the "target" to be no more than 15 ft away. A gigantic "clearing tube" more than 15 feet deep/long with no designated "target" would not meet COMAR's livefire requirement.

Any normal one would be fine.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You know the live fire requires the "target" to be no more than 15 ft away. A gigantic "clearing tube" more than 15 feet deep/long with no designated "target" would not meet COMAR's livefire requirement.

Any normal one would be fine.

29.03.01.29 has absolutely no such requirement...

COMAR 29.03.01.29 said:
    A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, an applicant shall complete a Firearms Safety Training Course and submit a Firearms Safety Training Certificate issued by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. The submission of the Firearms Safety Training Certificate shall constitute proof that the applicant satisfactorily completed a Firearms Safety Training Course.

B. An applicant does not need to complete a Firearms Safety Training Course if the applicant:

(1) Has satisfactorily completed a firearms training course approved by the Secretary as an exemption from the Firearms Safety Training Course;

(2) Has satisfactorily completed a course of instruction in competency and safety in the handling of firearms as prescribed by the Department of Natural Resources under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland;

(3) Is a Qualified Handgun Instructor in accordance with Regulation .37 of this chapter;

(4) Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard;

(5) Is a former law enforcement officer of the State or a local law enforcement agency in the State who has successfully completed initial law enforcement training;

(6) Is an employee of an armored car company and has a permit issued under Public Safety Article, Title 5, Subtitle 3, Annotated Code of Maryland; or

(7) Lawfully owns a regulated firearm.

C. A Firearms Safety Training Course shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction by a Qualified Handgun Instructor and include the following minimum curricula.

(1) State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, and who is prohibited from possessing firearms.

(2) Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.

(3) Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.

(4) Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation that demonstrates the applicant’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, including a practice component in which the applicant safely fires at least one round of live ammunition.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    29.03.01.29 has absolutely no such requirement...

(4) Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation that demonstrates the applicant’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, including a practice component in which the applicant safely fires at least one round of live ammunition.

This part wasn't actually in SB281, but was added during the COMAR writing. Right? I remember going to a rally about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom