• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Expiration dates are relative:

A "Best if Used By/Before" date indicates when a product will be of best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale for inventory management. It is not a safety date.

A “Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula as described below.

A “Freeze-By” date indicates when a product should be frozen to maintain peak quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...eling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are tons of threads on this on the interwebs. Lots of food expiration dates are based on them keeping samples of lots or something like that and they don't wan to keep it forever. Much of it has to do with how you store it.
    Canned food can last WAY longer than the expiration date, and if there was a Zombie apocalypse, you'd eat it before you go hungry. Since there is none, I toss it. (expiring thin mints are the exception)

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I just recently seen some MRE's for sale online with a shelf life of 1 to 3 years. I believe that kinda makes them useless!!!!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I just recently seen some MRE's for sale online with a shelf life of 1 to 3 years. I believe that kinda makes them useless!!!!

I still have MREs that are 10 years old. They don’t “expire” in the sense that they are unsafe to eat. They become less palatable, but still safe to eat. I have one every now and then to test the stockpile. Not 5 star dining, but not the worst thing I’ve ever eaten. Just keep them out of the heat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Canned food is good indefinitely. If the ends of the cans bulge or it smells rancid it’s a no go. Otherwise, it will be good in 100 years.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm currently watching steve1989mre on YouTube eat a pre ww1 era emergency ration from 1906. Stuff lasts a lot longer than you think usually.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I still have MREs that are 10 years old. They don’t “expire” in the sense that they are unsafe to eat. They become less palatable, but still safe to eat. I have one every now and then to test the stockpile. Not 5 star dining, but not the worst thing I’ve ever eaten. Just keep them out of the heat.

Where do you purchase yours from?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Where do you purchase yours from?

TheReadyStore.com

BePrepared.com

Cheaper Than Dirt

TheEipcenter.com

I try to only get my prepping supplies on sale, since it’s something that will likely sit on a shelf for years. However, pretty much everyone is sold out at the moment. I won’t be restocking until next year or whenever things get back to normal.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    WARNING: This Post approved by George Donner and James Reed

Can foods all have expiration dates nowadays , my question is there a life on can foods ?
    And what is that date .

Pretty sure all these other guys are wrong - found this process for verifying the safety of canned goods in an old Neighborhood Watch Field Manual:

1) Take into your possession one of your neighbors.
    (preferably a plump demanding mom who recently demanded action and/or belittled your dedication to the principles of 2A freedom or emergency preparedness)

2) Feed your neighbor 4 tablespoons of food from the suspect can.

3) Monitor your neighbor for adverse reactions for about 24 hours.

4) If after 24 hours your neighbor is showing no reactive symptoms, discard the can. It is now safe to eat your neighbor.

Obligatory CDC Health Advisory:
    Never consume undercooked long-pig if it was exhibiting the symptoms associated with Coronavirus prior to harvest. Dosequisvirus is OK though …

Just kidding - definitely listen to those other guys! In the past, I’ve eaten 50-year-old K-rations with no ill effects.
    But I was younger then … and insulated from harm (and evil spirits) by the prophylactic properties of a steady diet of long-pig. ;)

Last edited:

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Pretty sure all these other guys are wrong - found this process for verifying the safety of canned goods in an old Neighborhood Watch Field Manual:

1) Take into your possession one of your neighbors.

(preferably a plump demanding mom who recently demanded action and/or belittled your dedication to the principles of 2A freedom or emergency preparedness)

2) Feed your neighbor 4 tablespoons of food from the suspect can.

3) Monitor your neighbor for adverse reactions for about 24 hours.

4) If after 24 hours your neighbor is showing no reactive symptoms, discard the can. It is now safe to eat your neighbor.

Obligatory CDC Health Advisory:

Never consume undercooked long-pig if it was exhibiting the symptoms associated with Coronavirus prior to harvest. Dosequisvirus is OK though …

Just kidding - definitely listen to those other guys! In the past, I’ve eaten 50-year-old K-rations with no ill effects.

But I was younger then … and insulted from harm (and evil spirits) by the prophylactic properties of a steady diet of long-pig. ;)

Bro, that’s solid advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We should have a list on what foods hold up the longest . And how long should your stash last 2 months ? or even more

I've been dehydrating food for a while. The book I learned from is "Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail" by Linda Frederick Yaffe.

She says that properly dehydrated food with no other preservatives should last at least 3 years if stored properly. I've eaten a few dehydrated meals I've made a year or so out, it was tasty and I didn't get sick.

This book is about putting together a good hearty trail meal but could be applied to prepping as well. There's lots of meals you can make at home, eat a portion for dinner and then dehydrate the rest. So it's not like you have to really go out of your way to make good dehydrated food.

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating/dp/0811713474/

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Canned food either goes bad quickly or stays good for decades if the integrity of the can is maintained.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They put an expiration date on Five Million year old Pink Himalayan Salt. It says use before 2024, good thing they dug it up in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom