• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Has anybody built one of these .22 Magnum 80% recievers? http://shop.ruger1022receiver.com/Kit-22-WMR-MAGNUM-Receiver-Anodized-Black-_p_41.html

Just wondering if anybody makes a reliable semi- high cap mag that fits the 10/22 pattern .22 Magnums and whether attempting a 10/22 in .22 Magnum is more trouble than its worth.

Has anybody completed one of these and had good results?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I believe Ruger 22 WMR mags made for precision rimfire line can be used on 10/22s. I always wanted a 10/22 magnum, but the originals are over priced and subject to jam so I've been told. I finally bought a CZ 22 WMR SA and really like it. Good Luck !

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    A little unrelated to your question. But I had a cz512 in 22lr and friends with the 22mag. They liked the 22 mag very much. Early ones got recalled and repaired because of tight chambers. I think the 22 mag 512 is getting discontinued. You may want to look at one for $500. It's done and shooting for $500. I liked my 512. The magazine is not flush like the ruger rotary.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    The bolts could crack on the old Ruger 10/22 magnums when high velocity rounds were used. Magnum Research sells a version now but even they say that shooting lighter faster rounds voids the warranty. I've really toyed with the idea of getting one of these as the parts to build that 80% will likely be about the same as this rifle.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/rimfire-rifles/

They do use the same 9 rd magazines as the Ruger 77/22, Precision Rimfire and American Rimfire in 22 magnum or 17 HMR.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    A little unrelated to your question. But I had a cz512 in 22lr and friends with the 22mag. They liked the 22 mag very much. Early ones got recalled and repaired because of tight chambers. I think the 22 mag 512 is getting discontinued. You may want to look at one for $500. It's done and shooting for $500. I liked my 512. The magazine is not flush like the ruger rotary.

Do they have any high capacity magazine options for the CZ512?

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Do they have any high capacity magazine options for the CZ512?

High? I’m not sure what high is. The mags that fit the 452 and later fit 512 magnum. The largest I could find with a quick search are 10 rounds.

17hmr and 22wmr tend to be a little finicky about being cleaned. Rimfire tends to be a pretty dirty configuration anyway. Add more powder and that seems to make things a little worse. Both 22mag and 17hmr have their own considerations and reasons they are more susceptible to problems from being dirty, but the result is the same... Is it fully in battery? That is one reason there are so few manufacturers willing to go out on a limb (IMO) and build 22mag and 17hmr semi auto. You would think it would be the perfect round for a semi, but the manufacturer is depending on the customer to have a little better than average experience, realization, and care about what is going on.

Long story to say 25 round mags take an even more careful shooter than a firearm with less magazine capacity. IMO. Just based on observed habits. Mr. Drum Magazine is usually not the person who is... well, I’m not going there.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    tiger.jpg

Mr. "Drum Magazine" ??

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Didn't know they were being discontinued. Really fond of mine (with the beechwood stock). I checked for both the walnut and beechwood stocked versions (although not the black beechwood ones) and, indeed, could only find a few vendors with inventory.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I built that exact receiver probably 7 to 10 years ago. dont have a ton of rds thru it. but so far its been pretty good. it has a set screw to adjust the spring tension. think back then with the bolt was $159.00 if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom