Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 26th, 2020, 06:22 AM #11
Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect

just make sure that you buy quality components. 80% of malfunctions while shooting that I have witnessed are from homebuilt guns done poorly. the other 20 is from bad mags, although 12 dollar PMAGS have generally solved that problem.
travistheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 09:25 AM #12
Unejamacated hick

Unejamacated hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchV View Post
Building is cheaper, since you don't need to make a profit and there's no 11% excise tax on parts.

It also get you a better rifle. You aren't likely to skip greasing your own barrel nut just to save a little time. And you can get better parts. You don't get a great barrel in a rifle that retails for $700.
Ive done good builds for that price with good parts

Id love to know who wound up with the one I sold to Mopar92 and if its still kickin
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:11 AM #13
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Building is not necessarily cheaper but you end up with a rifle you want and do not need to change parts on because you "settled" for one off the shelf.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:29 AM #14

Build. Or buy complete components and put together.

With the deals PSA and other manufacturers are running now, you can build a quality AR for around $500 - $750. By quality I mean chrome lined or nitride barrel, good bolt carrier group, mil spec parts. You start to go up in $ when you add better stock, handguards, grips, and optics, but you can still easily keep the total package under $1000 for a really good and durable rig.

One thing I have learned the hard way with building my own is tolerance stacking. Mil spec manufacturers build within plus/minus a few thousandths for each part (lower and upper receiver for example). This is done so that you can swap parts easily without fear of it being way too loose or so tight it doesn't fit at all.

That being said, I prefer my set ups on the tighter side. There is provenly nothing wrong with a loose fitting upper-lower, but I just prefer tighter. It will loosen up over time with use anyway.

The only way to guarantee a tight fit is to have a handful of lowers and uppers and to try them all out and find the best fit. Most people don't do this, and are ultimately OK with however the fit turns out.

There are a few brands like Rock River Arms (RRA), who are known for very tight fitting uppers and lowers (too tight in some instances). I have found that I can get reliably tight fitting components with a RRA upper or lower, coupled to a random upper or lower from another manufacturer.

When I build for friends we usually order a complete RRA lower (can select components on their website which is cool), for around $240-$350. And then we will buy a complete PSA upper, BCG and charging handle (if the complete upper doesn't come with BCG and CH).

This usually results in a very nice fitting complete rifle, with little to no actual building, for $750 or less. Then we'll throw a $250 red dot and BUIS and they're G2G for under $1,100.
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:22 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPatrolDude View Post
Build. Or buy complete components and put together.

With the deals PSA and other manufacturers are running now, you can build a quality AR for around $500 - $750. By quality I mean chrome lined or nitride barrel, good bolt carrier group, mil spec parts. You start to go up in $ when you add better stock, handguards, grips, and optics, but you can still easily keep the total package under $1000 for a really good and durable rig.

One thing I have learned the hard way with building my own is tolerance stacking. Mil spec manufacturers build within plus/minus a few thousandths for each part (lower and upper receiver for example). This is done so that you can swap parts easily without fear of it being way too loose or so tight it doesn't fit at all.

That being said, I prefer my set ups on the tighter side. There is provenly nothing wrong with a loose fitting upper-lower, but I just prefer tighter. It will loosen up over time with use anyway.

The only way to guarantee a tight fit is to have a handful of lowers and uppers and to try them all out and find the best fit. Most people don't do this, and are ultimately OK with however the fit turns out.

There are a few brands like Rock River Arms (RRA), who are known for very tight fitting uppers and lowers (too tight in some instances). I have found that I can get reliably tight fitting components with a RRA upper or lower, coupled to a random upper or lower from another manufacturer.

When I build for friends we usually order a complete RRA lower (can select components on their website which is cool), for around $240-$350. And then we will buy a complete PSA upper, BCG and charging handle (if the complete upper doesn't come with BCG and CH).

This usually results in a very nice fitting complete rifle, with little to no actual building, for $750 or less. Then we'll throw a $250 red dot and BUIS and they're G2G for under $1,100.
They make something for the slop between lower and upper receiver. It is called an "accuwedge".

Without a written agreement between you and me, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:31 PM #16

OP,

Just buy a lower and start accumulating parts to build your rifle. I just built one up this weekend. Lost a stupid detent spring during the build. Thing shot out and I could not find it for the life of me, but Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods took care of me and the gun is up and running.

I do my builds little by little. First, I finish out the lower. Test out some triggers and see what you like best. When NateIOU was working at Engage, I stopped over there and he let me try some triggers from Geissele and Hiperfire. I ended up liking the Hiperfire better, so I spend $250 on each trigger for my AR guns. I like the Magpul stocks, so that does not kill me. I like the expensive barrels and handguards though and the somewhat expensive optics.

Most parts are still in stock to build. I think most gun aficionados in Maryland filed their safes between 2013 and 2016. I know I am not in the market to buy a gun right now and none of my brothers and sisters feel under-gunned for this pandemic. My brother in-law wrote me the other day to ask if 5,000 rounds of .223 would be enough. Told him the only way it would not be enough is if the survivors of Covid-19 turn into zombies in 6 months.

So, my advice again is to buy a lower and go from there if you have any mechanical ability at all. If not, buy a complete gun. Think I saw one on the shelf at South Carroll Sporting Goods this weekend.

Without a written agreement between you and me, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
Old April 7th, 2020, 02:18 PM #17

Here you go, start out with a stripped lower for $49.95 and then buy parts for it as you can afford it:

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/And...eid=4b416c5a93

Wonder what "machined from forged 7075" means. So, is it a "billet" lower or a "forged" lower?

If I was in the market, I doubt I would hesitate to buy something like this. Only hesitation might be the transfer fee versus finding it at a Maryland FFL in the first place.

Old April 8th, 2020, 05:51 AM #18
Oddball caliber fan

Oddball caliber fan

For most of you in Maryland, just go to a local shop and pick up a stripped lower or three. Then you actually "own an AR" prior to any mischief your government may come up with.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:10 AM #19
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

I suggest keeping an eye on Industry Partners sub-forums. They seem to regularly get in complete rifles and don't seem to charge bend-over panic prices for them unless the cost to them increased as well. Some will hold them if you call.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles