• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Bored out of my skull, laid off and sitting around the house waiting for this mess to hopefully stabilize as soon as possible. So no acquisitions for now, what can I do for fun? So I pulled out two French long arms that I've never shared on MDS.
    -This first item is something I got off of GB back in 2011 and the controversy over it started a very vibrant and interesting thread in the Gun Boards French Forum where all the astute French experts hang out.
    -This odd duck of a Lebel was offered up by a very reputable dealer at the time and he was making no outlandish claims. I was actively bidding along with two French collecting buddies who's depth of knowledge dwarfs mine. So I was comfortable getting aggressive in bidding. Luckily for me bidding ended in the shadow of Christmas and my competitors both dropped out before the bids got crazy. Seem to remember a number of $550 which in 2011 wasn't chicken feed but not stupid expensive either.
    -What made this Lebel the object of our desires? It was assumed by all of us to be a prototype for a shorter, handier version. The barrel and magazine tube were cut down to approx. 25" and from 8 to 6 rounds. The barrel is dated 1914 and there's a "M14" stamping on the receiver. Near where you'd find the same mark on a Gras M14 (see 4th photo).
    -But upon receipt and some digging and much discussion we all came to the conclusion that Bubba did this, not a French arsenal. Mind you it's an excellent bit of work and I love the balance of the shorter rifle. A standard Lebel is very muzzle heavy, esp. with a full tube of ammo. The easiest tell is that the modified part of the forestock under the upper band has fresh walnut, no oxidation from 100 yrs ago. There are other little things too like no dished wood under the band spring to make it easier to depress when removing the band.
    -For some strange reason this unusual bit of fantasy didn't bother me that much and I still enjoy it to this day.

Attachments

• IMGP9069.JPG
      IMGP9069.JPG
      20.4 KB · Views: 398
    • IMGP9070.JPG
      IMGP9070.JPG
      48.6 KB · Views: 399
    • IMGP9071.JPG
      IMGP9071.JPG
      60.2 KB · Views: 408
    • IMGP7453.JPG
      IMGP7453.JPG
      50.8 KB · Views: 436
    • IMGP9072.JPG
      IMGP9072.JPG
      32.2 KB · Views: 397
    • IMGP9073.JPG
      IMGP9073.JPG
      62.7 KB · Views: 387

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    That would be Le Bubba.

Actually the concept itself looks a good idea. Interesting story. Thank you for sharing. I've bit the hook on probably a dozen guns that I got excited about and didn't do enough research on before purchase. I've always chalked it up to me not knowing enough about the subject. I appreciate you sharing that it sometimes happens to folks with much deeper knowledge that I have (and I consider you one of the C&R Gurus on MDS). Still, looks like a nice shooter, and that can't be all bad.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Ah, but what if?

Such a beautifully balanced fusil! How it would have filled with elan the hearts of les Pantalons Rouges!

Surely this small tipping of the balance would have ended the war before Christmas!

If only!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It made perfect sense to Bill, Dale and me with the three of us owning probably close to 100 yrs of combined experience between us. To be honest I'm surprised that the French arsenals didn't do this instead of the R35 abomination. You had a 6 round magazine instead of the nearly worthless 3 rounds of the R35. Weight and balance are good with very manageable recoil and no huge muzzle flash. Yeah I get that the R35 would be easier to schlep if you were part of a motorized unit but that's all it brings to the party. This "M14" conversion is a great compromise IMHO.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    It made perfect sense to Bill, Dale and me with the three of us owning probably close to 100 yrs of combined experience between us. To be honest I'm surprised that the French arsenals didn't do this instead of the R35 abomination. You had a 6 round magazine instead of the nearly worthless 3 rounds of the R35. Weight and balance are good with very manageable recoil and no huge muzzle flash. Yeah I get that the R35 would be easier to schlep if you were part of a motorized unit but that's all it brings to the party. This "M14" conversion is a great compromise IMHO.

+1. The R35 is a beast of a thing to shoot. I put 3 rounds through mine after I first got it and that was enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom