• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So Hornady 55 gr v max would be iffy or ok . I'm confused.:shrug:
    Say between 20 yrds to 100 yrds

The jacket is thin in "varmint" loads, and it will probably fragment as most are designed to. A lot of bullets that otherwise would be fine for deer in larger calibers are either redesigned to fragment, or are not reinforced enough to hold together in smaller faster calibers.

I load 165gr nosler ballistic tips in 30-06 for deer, out of my 17.5" mini mauser they clock in about 2600FPS 10' from the muzzle and are extremely accurate. They are not bonded, but expand very nicely, and stay together anywhere from 10 yards to 200 in water jugs, penetrating 4-6 gallon jugs of water. The same "Nosler ballistic tip" in .224" 60gr has a very thin jacket, and out of my 24" bolt gun, or 14.5 and 20" ARs basically turns to dust and twisted copper, and while it grenades the first water jug, it will only send fragments into the second jug, perfect for blowing up varmints, but not for penetrating big game.

Due to the popularity of ARs, and the legality of .223 for medium game hunting in many states, there are some makers putting much stronger bullets into small 22, 6mm, 25cal and 6.5mm loads. A simple expanding bullet has a copper jacket and a lead core that is pressed into it during manufacture. The tip can either be exposed lead, hollow, or hollow with a plastic tip to give better aerodynamics, and faster expansion at slow velocities, or longer range. The problem is that being the jacket and core are 2 separate peices, they tend to separate at high velocities and close ranges, and failing to penetrate. Some designs like Rem core lokt use a thick ring in the middle of the bullet that limits expansion, and locks the core in place. There are a couple ways to hold the bullet together, a bonded bullet electrically plates a lead core with copper, and builds it up thick enough to form a jacket. Being the core is chemically bonded to the jacket, the jacket supports the core, and they stay intact, this is one of the newer designs. A partition bullet is a jacket that forms 2 compartments, with a wall in the middle separating them, and 2 separate lead cores pressed into each end. The front compartment expands quickly, but the rear compartment mostly stays intact in order to limit expansion, and hold the bullet together. All copper/alloy/guilding metal bullets are a newer design, and do not contain lead. They have a fairly large cavity in the front, and bands on the bearing surface so the relatively hard bullet can compress into the rifling, and expand when it hits. Being the shape of the cavity, and thickness of the walls can be precisely controlled, expansion can be controlled fairly tightly.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Nosler Ballistic tips that are in the smaller calibers and weights are not made the same as the ones in larger heavier calibers. A .22 cal BT is a varmint bullet and made to fragment on impact. A BT in say 30/06 has a heavier core and is designed to penetrate better. Hornady V-max's are not good to use on deer size game at any distance. The V is for Varmint and it will not penetrate. I have no idea how so many people do no research on the bullets they use to harvest game. Do we really care so very little about wounding animals leaving them to die a slow tortured death?

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    I have had luck with the 62 grain Barnes TSX ( Handloads ) In my Colt AR. The bullet performs quite well. Here'a some pics of a 120 lb doe shot was 50 -60 yards deer ran 40 yards. Third pic 4 p0int and fourth pic doe is from today I will try and get some pics of the wounds after there skinned.

Joe

ENTRANCE
    100_0358.jpg

EXIT
    100_0357.jpg

100_0374.jpg

100_0378.jpg

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Since I know you guys are all dying for an update :D

I found some Cor-Bon 55gr JHP that I figured would do the trick (it's said to penetrate 9-14" in ballistic gelatin and hold together well) from Atlantic Guns. But, I ended up borrowing a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, froze my butt off in a tree stand and didn't see a deer all day. If I'm lucky, I'll get out once or twice again this season.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Since I know you guys are all dying for an update :D

I found some Cor-Bon 55gr JHP that I figured would do the trick (it's said to penetrate 9-14" in ballistic gelatin and hold together well) from Atlantic Guns. But, I ended up borrowing a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, froze my butt off in a tree stand and didn't see a deer all day. If I'm lucky, I'll get out once or twice again this season.

for next time, try hunting for them right around rt32 about 3 miles north of rt 70...almost hit like 5 of the damned things on my way home from basspro tonight.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    for next time, try hunting for them right around rt32 about 3 miles north of rt 70...almost hit like 5 of the damned things on my way home from basspro tonight.

The seriously need to do something about that area. It's gotta be the deer striking capitol of Maryland. I avoid it completely around dawn and dusk.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA

I know plenty of places I could hunt very successfully if it wouldn't get me thrown in jail. I almost hit a good sized 8 point buck on Beach Drive by the Mormon Temple a few weeks ago. I also saw a pretty good sized group (~8-10 deer) in my friend's neighborhood in Aspen Hill over the summer. There were a few does, and a few bucks that were 6-8 points still in felt.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I know plenty of places I could hunt very successfully if it wouldn't get me thrown in jail. I almost hit a good sized 8 point buck on Beach Drive by the Mormon Temple a few weeks ago. I also saw a pretty good sized group (~8-10 deer) in my friend's neighborhood in Aspen Hill over the summer. There were a few does, and a few bucks that were 6-8 points still in felt.

dang. welp good luck next time out :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom