johnsopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:22 AM #22
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsopi View Post
Eeyore,
Every thing's terrible
Ok new guy. You don't know much, do you?

When PSA lets stuff get through their QA system, that shouldn't pass, but they push it out anyways, that is a big problem. Gas key screws out of spec or not torqued properly, bolts that are out of spec, carriers that are out of spec, headspace issues, alignment problems, etc... The only way you'd find out that those issues are there, is if you took it to a competent gunsmith, or had the tools yourself. PSA assembled uppers and lowers are junk. The is a reason why they have a section on ARFCOM, where they deal only with customer issues.

The PSA AR-47 was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

I've gone over a PSA AR-10 and found so many issues with it I was horrified. I felt bad for my friend that bought the rifle, thinking it was a good deal, when he was saddled with a ton of problems. Numerous RMA's later, he finally had a functioning rifle.

If you like complete uppers and lowers from PSA, knock yourself out. Don't complain here when more of their stuff starts to have problems and has to be sent back.

Have fun spending money on garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 10:32 AM #23
AR15 Technical Instructor

AR15 Technical Instructor

Daemon touched on the problems with PSA large pattern AR's. He is not exaggerating as far as my experience goes.

Their AR15's are just as bad in my experience. Had one in this weekend's Armorers Class that wouldn't close on a .223 or 5.56 Go Gauge. It's not a fluke either.

These 3 pics show what I use to determine good/bad, and to fix poorly built AR15, Blowback AR's, or Large Frame AR's.

It takes more than guesswork and a few tools to see what's wrong with stuff.

The cart has about 10k worth of tools on it and the table is all gauges and totals about 4k. All for working solely on AR's.
Attached Images

clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 05:52 PM #24
Major Deplorable

Major Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post

When PSA lets stuff get through their QA system, that shouldn't pass, but they push it out anyways, that is a big problem. Gas key screws out of spec or not torqued properly, bolts that are out of spec, carriers that are out of spec, headspace issues, alignment problems, etc... The only way you'd find out that those issues are there, is if you took it to a competent gunsmith, or had the tools yourself. PSA assembled uppers and lowers are junk. The is a reason why they have a section on ARFCOM, where they deal only with customer issues.

The PSA AR-47
was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

I've gone over a PSA AR-10 and found so many issues with it I was horrified. I felt bad for my friend that bought the rifle, thinking it was a good deal, when he was saddled with a ton of problems. Numerous RMA's later, he finally had a functioning rifle.

If you like complete uppers and lowers from PSA, knock yourself out. Don't complain here when more of their stuff starts to have problems and has to be sent back.

Do you mean the KS-47 ? That was a nightmare too
Old November 13th, 2018, 05:54 PM #25
Major Deplorable

Major Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post

The PSA AR-47 was a load of junk. There is a thread on here where a member had one and it ate the feed lips of a magpul AK mag. IIRC, PSA shrugged it off.

That's because they let their customers to all the QC for them to save money IMO.

when the customer has already bought something, palmetto has already gotten their money and when the customer brings up issues, they get their QC down free of charge.

Great business plan isn't it?
Old November 13th, 2018, 06:02 PM #26
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarr View Post
Do you mean the KS-47 ? That was a nightmare too
Yea. That thing.
Quote:

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

Old November 13th, 2018, 06:03 PM #27
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

I took in a PSA AR10 for next to nothing. The seller couldn't get it to cycle properly, FTF, FTE among other things. Seems PSA replaced the buffer spring with something akin to a ballpoint pen spring and an AR15 lightweight buffer. I found the gas tube port with slag or something hard in it. Drilled it out to proper diameter, added a Wolff Spring and a HD buffer. The thing is as good as any other AR that I own.

Don't be afraid to pick up one from a disgruntled seller. With some time and money, they can be made to shoot well.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 06:11 PM #28
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Daemon touched on the problems with PSA large pattern AR's. He is not exaggerating as far as my experience goes.

Their AR15's are just as bad in my experience. Had one in this weekend's Armorers Class that wouldn't close on a .223 or 5.56 Go Gauge. It's not a fluke either.

These 3 pics show what I use to determine good/bad, and to fix poorly built AR15, Blowback AR's, or Large Frame AR's.

It takes more than guesswork and a few tools to see what's wrong with stuff.

The cart has about 10k worth of tools on it and the table is all gauges and totals about 4k. All for working solely on AR's.
Thanks, my friend.

Mother of god. After you bought your new place you really went all out on tools. Classroom looks awesome too.
Quote:

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

Old November 13th, 2018, 06:11 PM #29
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

I can't say that I have not had issues with PSA stuff because I have. I bought an A2 6.8mm upper from them. Problem it had was the rounds not cycling 100%. Rather than use PSA support I took the problem to the 68Forum. Suggestion was badly cut M4 feed ramps on the barrel. So after attacking them with a tapered stone the rifle runs like it should. I bought 2 AR-9 barrels from PSA (cheap price and LW). Problem both had was the last round at a match often getting stuck and the extractor pulling the bullet apart trying to cycle it out. Typical short cut chamber (not the only AR 9mm barrels with this issue). Had to buy a chamber reamer from Brownells to cut the rifling back. Both are OK now. Things I should not have had to do.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 06:12 PM #30
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
I took in a PSA AR10 for next to nothing. The seller couldn't get it to cycle properly, FTF, FTE among other things. Seems PSA replaced the buffer spring with something akin to a ballpoint pen spring and an AR15 lightweight buffer. I found the gas tube port with slag or something hard in it. Drilled it out to proper diameter, added a Wolff Spring and a HD buffer. The thing is as good as any other AR that I own.

Don't be afraid to pick up one from a disgruntled seller. With some time and money, they can be made to shoot well.
The time and money part is the problem. Consumers shouldn't be doing their QC for them.
Quote:

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles