• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Yup, told my wife nice picture of the car. I was younger then.
    attachment.php

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yup, told my wife nice picture of the car. I was younger then.
    attachment.php

Come on, Man. Tell us the truth.

The M14 is just an EBR with wood furniture.

Bambi saw the bayonet lug, flash hider, detachable magazine, and the shoulder thingy that flips up and it fell over dead.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    "Nobody ever hunts with an AK"

GW National Forest, Virginia on Saturday. This was my first ever deer with a rifle (the previous were all bow or shotgun). The deer dropped where it stood and surprisingly there was almost no meat damage. I will definitely be using this rifle from now on for my VA hunts. I used federal fusion soft point 7.62x39 ammo that is marketed for deer hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_7941.jpg
      IMG_7941.jpg
      193.8 KB · Views: 298
    • IMG_7963.jpg
      IMG_7963.jpg
      138.2 KB · Views: 301
    • IMG_7930.jpg
      IMG_7930.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 301

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL, if Frosh saw this thread he might have a mega panic attack. Sucks for him.

I want to add that both does were doe fawns. Does that look pretty big for a doe fawn? I had at first thought they were 1.5 yr olds, as they didn't seem that small. I did not get to weigh them. Was too focused on how late I was going to be up to working on them since it wasn't cold enough to just hang the 2nd one till next day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Fingers crossed I’ll have my AR-15 6.5 Grendel out on the eastern shore in January

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your DOG is in witness protection ?

Meanwhile my initial reactions to " you can't hunt with that " closely vascillitate between : 1. Yeah , you can , 2. So What !

That said , I'm hoping for 2018 season to be having a life , and make hunting trips far beyond my own property , with evil and extra evil rifles . Western Md for .223 ( Barnes TSX ). , Va for 7.62x39 and 9mm .

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    OP: congratulations on the nice doe!
    I'm curious - what ammo did you use on the doe?

The Mrs. and I recently hunted with our AR type platforms for the first time.
    In fact, it was the first time ever for us hunting big game (feral hogs) with a semi-auto.
    We chose semi-autos in case of a charge and therefore the need for a quick follow up shot.
    I would recommend Barnes VOR-TX Rifle 70 gr. for 5.56x45 and for .308 I would recommend Remington 168 gr. HTP Copper.
    We didn't recover the bullet in the case of the 5.56 but the 308 showed the most beautiful expansion I have personally seen so it might have changed the nature of your exit hole for the better.
    REF:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4998996&postcount=26

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    OP: congratulations on the nice doe!
    I'm curious - what ammo did you use on the doe?

The Mrs. and I recently hunted with our AR type platforms for the first time.
    In fact, it was the first time ever for us hunting big game (feral hogs) with a semi-auto.
    We chose semi-autos in case of a charge and therefore the need for a quick follow up shot.
    I would recommend Barnes VOR-TX Rifle 70 gr. for 5.56x45 and for .308 I would recommend Remington 168 gr. HTP Copper.
    We didn't recover the bullet in the case of the 5.56 but the 308 showed the most beautiful expansion I have personally seen so it might have changed the nature of your exit hole for the better.
    REF:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4998996&postcount=26

It was Hornady American Whitetail interlock soft point. I don't remember what grain they are, but the foot pounds of energy is something like 2600. Even that gut shot doe didn't seem to want to get up when I found her ( 150-200 yards maybe from the shot , so something else must have been messed up in there, but I did not take the time to look while gutting. I wanted that paunch and everything else out asap and get her dragged back up that hill before it was too dark for my reference point to be seen. I didn't want to get lost lol. I used a heart shot to put her down and did notice the top of the heart was obliterated. The other deer I gutted in the dark and just did not take the time to look at everything. I am not even sure if I hit the heart at all or if it was just a dbl lung. She did drop like a rock when hit.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    "Nobody ever hunts with an AK"

GW National Forest, Virginia on Saturday. This was my first ever deer with a rifle (the previous were all bow or shotgun). The deer dropped where it stood and surprisingly there was almost no meat damage. I will definitely be using this rifle from now on for my VA hunts. I used federal fusion soft point 7.62x39 ammo that is marketed for deer hunting.

I'm pretty excited that Federal Fusion is availble in x39, its great ammo. I'm going to try out my AK next year :party29:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    It was Hornady American Whitetail interlock soft point. I don't remember what grain they are, but the foot pounds of energy is something like 2600. Even that gut shot doe didn't seem to want to get up when I found her ( 150-200 yards maybe from the shot , so something else must have been messed up in there, but I did not take the time to look while gutting. I wanted that paunch and everything else out asap and get her dragged back up that hill before it was too dark for my reference point to be seen. I didn't want to get lost lol. I used a heart shot to put her down and did notice the top of the heart was obliterated. The other deer I gutted in the dark and just did not take the time to look at everything. I am not even sure if I hit the heart at all or if it was just a dbl lung. She did drop like a rock when hit.

Interesting! I'm always looking to hear about good hunting ammo in 5.56/223 and 7.62/308. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom