• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Always take $600-$800 to collector shows. I went to one today that tends to be half junk and half overpriced collector pieces. Krag, all original, all matching, better than 95%, bright but dusty bore for $595. Private seller so no card, cash only. I ask where the nearest ATM is and he tells me, I tell him I'll be back in 15 minutes with cash for the rifle, he said he'd hold it. Got back and he sold the rifle right after I left to get the cash.

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    that sucks. I think he should have been a bit more patient and waited for you.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That's crazy.

Crazy that he took your picture at the moment he told you he sold it, and crazier still that you now have it as your avatar!

All kidding aside, that happened to me once to, but it was an elusive keltec sub2K; back when they were so rare you never see one. The dealer was busy with other customers, I said "I'll take this one, be right back when you are done with their paperwork", he said ok. I walked around his table, and he apologized for selling it in the 3 minutes or so it took me to walk around the table. Arggg.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Always take $600-$800 to collector shows. I went to one today that tends to be half junk and half overpriced collector pieces. Krag, all original, all matching, better than 95%, bright but dusty bore for $595. Private seller so no card, cash only. I ask where the nearest ATM is and he tells me, I tell I'll be back in 15 minutes with cash for the rifle, he said he'd hold it. Got back and he sold the rifle right after I left to get the cash.

What a jerk. :sad20:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Back in the old days in the South, you'd have let him "hold" your pocket knife as surety that you'd be back with the money. It was just an accepted thing that no man would abandon the pocket knife that he had carried for years (and probably received as an important present).

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    What a jerk. :sad20:

Nope. Cash right then and there ALWAYS trumps a promise that someone's going to come back.

I can't count the number of times I've heard bullshitters say "I'll be back (in an hour, tomorrow, next week) with the cash, can you hold it til then?"

If you want something, and legitimately need to go get more money, put a deposit down on it. Sorry, that's just how it works.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Put yourself in sellers shoes, you say you will be back and next guy seller turns away and you don't come back and now he missed a sale, you could have asked the seller to come to atm with you or hold your license or a deposit.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Put yourself in sellers shoes, you say you will be back and next guy seller turns away and you don't come back and now he missed a sale, you could have asked the seller to come to atm with you or hold your license or a deposit.

Well, the OP did say he learned his lesson and he didn't say anything bad about the dealer.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    I have ended auctions on ebay early with promises of a buy only to have the buyer back out, I learned my lesson and won't do it anymore.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I don't blame him for going with the cash sale and not waiting for a promise from a stranger (without a deposit) but he really should have told you "first person with the cash gets it".

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Money talks, of course. However, the seller gave his word that he'd hold the rifle, and he didn't. Shame on him.

If he was being burned by "I'm going to the ATM" too many times, he should have said as such. I've left a deposit in situations where I didn't have the cash on me to complete a transaction. I loved reading about the pocket knife tradition from years ago.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Should have let him a deposit of some sort. It's a shame it didn't work out for you. Better luck next time.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Sorry BR for your loss of a good deal but you learned really quick and off'd up the advice. :thumbsup:

Remember all, "Money talks, ******** walks, put your money where your mouth is". Money = cash. Too bad lone ranger isn't around anymore.:lol2:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Back in the old days in the South, you'd have let him "hold" your pocket knife as surety that you'd be back with the money. It was just an accepted thing that no man would abandon the pocket knife that he had carried for years (and probably received as an important present).

My dad would sometimes ask a vendor if he could take an unkown holster over to someone who had a pistol like his to see if it fit. The surety he'd leave behind was me :D Nobody turned him down...but I was a lot cuter back then.;)

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The venue has no on site ATM but the seller gave me explicit directions to the one about half mile from the venue. I offered to leave a $200 cash deposit but he declined and said the rifle would still be there when I got back.

I'm not saying anything bad about the guy, cash IS king after all. Private seller thinning his collection as I said and this may well have been his first show selling. A bit of a dick move on his part sure but the onus was on me for not being prepared to find a sweet deal at a show I know is usually either junk or over priced collector pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom